Opinions for LR Scope Mounts

Another advantage, to using the rails, is that on some of the shorter lightweight scopes, you have a restricted mounting surface on the tubes. Sometimes, this interferes with setting eye relief, by crowding the bell portion of scopes against the rings.

I had this exact problem, trying to use Hawkins rings to mount a 3-24x52 March. Ended up using a rail and had plenty of space for proper mounting and eye relief. I'm sure this isn't a big problem with longer tubes.

Yep. Also a good one that I forgot to mention. Good call.

Another advantage, to using the rails, is that on some of the shorter lightweight scopes, you have a restricted mounting surface on the tubes. Sometimes, this interferes with setting eye relief, by crowding the bell portion of scopes against the rings.

I had this exact problem, trying to use Hawkins rings to mount a 3-24x52 March. Ended up using a rail and had plenty of space for proper mounting and eye relief. I'm sure this isn't a big problem with longer tubes.

That's something to consider when I'm ready.

I use several types of mounts on different guns but I do use a picatinny rail on my LR gun . However on that rail I use an ARMS QD mount with 20 MOA built into the mount itself . This allows me to remove the LR optical scope and have the height to fit other sighting systems to a standard flat rail eg. a NV scope where you don't want it pointing down at 20 MOA and the scope is on the same center as the other scope .

Picatinny on all of my rifles too. From 10/22 to my LR .300RUM. Makes swapping scopes very easy if the need or want arises.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.