Scope rings/base opinions

Coues Sniper

Recently found that I'm having issues with my current scope ring/base setup and would like to upgrade. Rifle is a very light weight 300 RUM, hence the issues with the current rings (Talley). Looking at the Nightforce Ultralight rings (still would like to keep weight down), but should I go one piece base or two? Typically don't like the one pieces but with the issues I'm having... Also was looking at the Seekins bases and rings as they are much more appealing to the eye without the side bolts, but can't find much info as far as reviews. Open to other suggestions as well. Any opinions and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

Look up Near manufacturing.....they are some of the best one piece bases you can buy, plus you can get what ever MOA slope you want.

I have them on all my rifles and have never had any issues. I have a mix of Near rings and Leupold MkIV tactical rings and both work well for me.

Recently found that I'm having issues with my current scope ring/base setup and would like to upgrade. Rifle is a very light weight 300 RUM, hence the issues with the current rings (Talley). Looking at the Nightforce Ultralight rings (still would like to keep weight down), but should I go one piece base or two? Typically don't like the one pieces but with the issues I'm having... Also was looking at the Seekins bases and rings as they are much more appealing to the eye without the side bolts, but can't find much info as far as reviews. Open to other suggestions as well. Any opinions and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Kevin
EGW base and TPS TSR or TSRW scope rings.

Nothing beats the one piece rail type mounts for stoutness and ease of installation/use.

If you have a really big heavy scope you might consider using three rings instead of just two.

Look up Near manufacturing.....they are some of the best one piece bases you can buy, plus you can get what ever MOA slope you want.

I have them on all my rifles and have never had any issues. I have a mix of Near rings and Leupold MkIV tactical rings and both work well for me.

X2 on Near Mfg. I have them on a few different rifles and they are the best I have ever used.
Thanks for the recommendation guys - those look like quality bases. I'll have to do some more research on them.

EGW base and TPS TSR or TSRW scope rings.

Nothing beats the one piece rail type mounts for stoutness and ease of installation/use.

If you have a really big heavy scope you might consider using three rings instead of just two.
Thanks WildRose, I'll look into those as well. Scope isn't too big, it's a 56mm Leupy VXL. But was getting some abnormal wear and was getting loose.

I've had very good experience with Talley rings and bases over the years. I'm surprised to hear they are not working. On my long range rifle I am using Badger Max 50 rings on a picatinny rail. I do not believe you could make these rings slip with a hammer! Not light weights though.
Murphy Precision makes some killer looking titanium rings and bases that I have read great reviews for.

Thanks for the recommendation guys - those look like quality bases. I'll have to do some more research on them.

Thanks WildRose, I'll look into those as well. Scope isn't too big, it's a 56mm Leupy VXL. But was getting some abnormal wear and was getting loose.
Big scope, magnum rifle, one extra ring=cheap insurance.

I've had very good experience with Talley rings and bases over the years. I'm surprised to hear they are not working. On my long range rifle I am using Badger Max 50 rings on a picatinny rail. I do not believe you could make these rings slip with a hammer! Not light weights though.
Murphy Precision makes some killer looking titanium rings and bases that I have read great reviews for.
Brad, I've generally had good experience with the Talley's as well. However, a friend of mine has a similar rifle (Ti action, carbon barrel) in the same caliber (300 RUM) and his Leupold screws sheared in half from recoil. He knew another guy that did the same. So I'm looking for something beefier. Those Murphy Precision Ti bases/rings look awesome, but **** are they spendy!!!

Big scope, magnum rifle, one extra ring=cheap insurance.
Great point. Can't argue that one at all. I guess I'm just trying to get a free lunch on this rig, and I'm wondering why it isn't happening :rolleyes:. Thanks for the help and advice.

Brad, I've generally had good experience with the Talley's as well. However, a friend of mine has a similar rifle (Ti action, carbon barrel) in the same caliber (300 RUM) and his Leupold screws sheared in half from recoil. He knew another guy that did the same. So I'm looking for something beefier. Those Murphy Precision Ti bases/rings look awesome, but **** are they spendy!!!

Great point. Can't argue that one at all. I guess I'm just trying to get a free lunch on this rig, and I'm wondering why it isn't happening :rolleyes:. Thanks for the help and advice.
I went through a similar problem with a 300wm that weighed only about 6.5lbs that I had a big VXII on.

One extra ring solved the problem completely.

One problem we fail to consider with light weight magnum rifles is that the scope ends up taking quite a ride every time you pull the trigger. The bigger and heavier the scope and the lighter the rifle the greater the likelihood of some slippage... .

gun)

Seekins 1-piece base and rings are quality and look nice too. As you've noted, the Seekins rings are sleek with no protruding bolts and nuts. A third ring is good advice if your scope tube will allow it. Four screws holding a single 1-piece base will be stouter than two screws holding each of two 2-piece bases.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.