Scope base and rings for mountain rifle?

SavageHunter11

Looking at how I am going to mount my scope (NightForce SHV 3-10x42mm) to my 280 Ackley mountain rifle built off a Remington 700 receiver. Originally I had planned to use the NightForce A102 aluminum 20MOA base with integrated rings to mount the scope at 4.8 ounces for the whole one-piece mount. Looking around though I don't think I've seen anyone with this mount. What are the typical rings and bases guys are using on their mountain rifles? I feel like I see a lot of Seekins products around but I can not find any advertised weights. What suggestions do you have or am I just splitting hairs as long as I get aluminum and not steel hardware?

On my mountain rifle, I run Talley Lightweights. I'm not sure if they have any that incorporate a 20 MOA cant to them. But I only need 25 minutes to dial to 1k. I don't plan on shooting game animals that far with my mountain rifle. My scope offers me more than enough to do it though.

I've use the redfield jr mounts for many years. The tally mount has 1 less connection point and is lighter. I had to use 25in/lb to keep my scope from moving. This is above the recommended torque on the pkg. If you need light and some elevation in the system for your optics to work. The burris signature rings with the redfield junior style from burris will be about the lightest with correction. The inserts will allow from 0 up to 40moa built in. This in 5moa increments. Plus the advantage to put in windage if your mounting holes are not exactly straight.

I've had good success with leupold Mark 4 aluminium rings, not sure the weight but I fell on back down an icy slope this fall right on my scope. It held zero perfectly

Talleys have come loose on every magnum rifle I have ever used them on. No more for me. I agree with Lance.

I use the same mounting solutions on my lightweight as I do on my LR rifle.

Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins alloy rings

Total weight about 7oz, but absolutely rock solid.
An extra 2oz. over the Nightforce one piece might be worth it just for the peace of mind in knowing I have a solid optics mount. Did you lap your seekins rings?

Last edited:
Is the DNZ Game Reaper a viable solution? Or would this be considered a tier below Nightforce or Seekins?
Are they made from steel or aluminum? I game to consider any option as long as it works and has a good reputation. That's the problem with the Nightforce A102 mount I originally was looking at, there is little information if it's an effective system or not.

Are they made from steel or aluminum? I game to consider any option as long as it works and has a good reputation. That's the problem with the Nightforce A102 mount I originally was looking at, there is little information if it's an effective system or not.
Aluminum

I'm also considering a new mountain rifle, and the game reaper seems like the lowest weight solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.