Scope power for 1,760y ?

It does but the issue becomes travel. Your not shooting over 1760 yards and dialing it directly and your not even making it to 1250 with most cartridges
My 6.5-284 with a 142 Sierra MK at 2975fps will drop an additional 59.5 MOA from its 600 yard zero at 1750 yards.. We're talking Harrier jump jet ramps for scope bases!

Might have to mount that scope higher so you don't see the front of your barrel in the scope!!!

My 6.5-284 with a 142 Sierra MK at 2975fps will drop an additional 59.5 MOA from its 600 yard zero at 1750 yards.. We're talking Harrier jump jet ramps for scope bases!

Might have to mount that scope higher so you don't see the front of your barrel in the scope!!!
I should have qualified that statement with a 100 yard Zero. LOL

I have a few rigs that can get to a mile with a 100 zero in under 60MOA but isn't it nice to have the extra…..

"No more than 15", ....why not more?
Because you don't need to see the pimple on a nats *** to make good hits. The target just needs to visible and your dope needs to be on point. If your a bench shooter than listen to your bench shooting friends but if you got a rifle and you plan on getting down in position and take a unknown distance shot at distances like in question.....using minimal magnification has the best results, especially if you are training or shooting for first round impacts. You don't notice reticle tremble, and you be able to trace your own shot. Aim small miss small.

because he is lost in the past.
aim small miss small
you cannot aim small at 1760 with a 15x scope!
Maybe you just don't shoot enough at distance. And your 70 years old, I'm not lost in the past...I was in the current war.
I'm suprised your *** doesn't have bi focals on your scope.

Because you don't need to see the pimple on a nats --- to make good hits. The target just needs to visible and your dope needs to be on point. If your a bench shooter than listen to your bench shooting friends but if you got a rifle and you plan on getting down in position and take a unknown distance shot at distances like in question.....using minimal magnification has the best results, especially if you are training or shooting for first round impacts. You don't notice reticle tremble, and you be able to trace your own shot. Aim small miss small.
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see unknown distance as part of this conversation.
I don't disagree that benchrest guys and long range shooters can be in pretty different camps and the bench guys tend to love power. But to say nothing over 15X is a bit closed minded IMHO. Try shooting crows at a mile or picking out small rocks and it's difficult.
I have killed many animals and rocks lol over 1000 and even 2000 and while it can be done under 20-25 has it's limitations and over 25 has it's pitfalls as well.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see unknown distance as part of this conversation.
I don't disagree that benchrest guys and long range shooters can be in pretty different camps and the bench guys tend to love power. But to say nothing over 15X is a bit closed minded IMHO. Try shooting crows at a mile or picking out small rocks and it's difficult.
I have killed many animals and rocks lol over 1000 and even 2000 and while it can be done under 20-25 has it's limitations and over 25 has it's pitfalls as well.

I was just painting a picture.

I'm not closed minded. It's all you need for a mile. NEED. All you WANT is to be all up inside that target. All you NEED is to be able to see it. And Idk about you but all I need is 15x...for a relatively small target at that.
I promise no one needs to be balls deep in their target to get good hits.

yes that is why the SEALS went to 5.5-22X WITH A 56 OBJ...BECAUSE IT DOES NOT WORK.( accuracy international 300 win mags)
it is why chris kyle used an 8-32X because if does not work.
the army just went to 5-25x and maybe 7-35x on their mk13 sniper rifles.
i guess they do not know what they are doing either
SORRY YOU ARE JUST LOST IN THE PAST and unwilling to continue learning.

SEVEN operations on my left eye..now i shoot right handed. the bbl for my 338 edge shows up tomorrow. it will have a 7-35 nightforce.

Maybe you just don't shoot enough at distance. And your 70 years old, I'm not lost in the past...I was in the current war.
I'm suprised your --- doesn't have bi focals on your scope.

yes that is why the SEALS went to 5.5-22X WITH A 56 OBJ...BECAUSE IT DOES NOT WORK.( accuracy international 300 win mags)

SEVEN operations on my left eye..now i shoot right handed. the bbl for my 338 edge shows up tomorrow. it will have a 7-35 nightforce.

I'm glad you know sooo much about SEALs lol. What do they teach in Sniper school? I don't care about what scopes people rocked. What is some course material from a actual
Sniper school that backs your statement. Because when I was in sniper school, I was told not to use my scope as a microscope.
And actually there's some other military snipers on here so I'd be interested in if the older fellows that did SOTIC when it was actually SOTIC have changed any opinions on scope magnification.

So no, I'm not stuck in the past. I'm just not a dude that walks my shots to 1000 or whatever then shoots for groups.

Just because the military uses it doesn't mean it's the end-all-be-all. 15x is definitely enough to score hits at a mile and I agree with dfanonymous that more magnification isn't always better. It sure can help depending on the situation but it can also hinder (try going on a hunt with a 7-35x56mm scope) and the type of shooting being done. The original question was how much magnification does one need to shoot at a mile and his answer of 15x isn't wrong. That is probably the minimum magnification needed for a mile but I've known guys to use USO fixed 10-power scopes on mile shots with success. The glass in these scopes are better today than they ever have been in history and the simple fact is you don't NEED high magnification to shoot to a mile like you would have years ago. It sounds like the only one stuck in the past is ar10ar15man.

I put together a budget package using a Savage stealth 338 Lapua and a SWFA fixed 20 and it seems to be doing well out to 1500 yards
Also put the same scope on a Armorlite ar-10 super sass (308) and it has done well to 600 yards
And have a Ruger #1 25-06 with a old Redfield 24 that was put together in 1976 it also does good it to 1000 yards my dads
1000 is the longest local range. The 1500 was a good drive
As a note sixty year old eyes with bifocals LOL

Bushnell XRS II 4.5 - 30 X 50 is, IMHO, the best long range scope for the money B/C it comes with ED glass for a very reasonable price and has excellent and accurate turrets. It is Bushnell's best scope.

THE very best scope for these distances is MARCH in whatever top end power you like but I recommend at least 25 X for your distances. But MARCH is very expensive.
Jus' sayin'...

Eric B.

the bottom line is
your OPINION is not backed by FACTS of CURRENT scopes used TODAY for 1 mile shooting. you appear to be a party of one maybe two, but not part of the people i shot with at raton. 875 to 2023 yards. almost all scopes were in the 25x range. NO low powered scopes. no low powered scopes for 1000 yard shooting they go up to 80x, with 15-55 common. the civilians have been using power well for years. the mil has always been slow to change, but they have changed.

this statement clearly shows you as closed minded( and behind the times)
"I don't care about what scopes people rocked."
THE number one sniper in american history loved the 8-32x and your closed mind says "I don't care ..."
guess what, i do not care about your OPINION.

I'm glad you know sooo much about SEALs lol. What do they teach in Sniper school? I don't care about what scopes people rocked. What is some course material from a actual
Sniper school that backs your statement. Because when I was in sniper school, I was told not to use my scope as a microscope.
And actually there's some other military snipers on here so I'd be interested in if the older fellows that did SOTIC when it was actually SOTIC have changed any opinions on scope magnification.

So no, I'm not stuck in the past. I'm just not a dude that walks my shots to 1000 or whatever then shoots for groups.

the bottom line is
your OPINION is not backed by FACTS of CURRENT scopes used TODAY for 1 mile shooting. you appear to be a party of one maybe two, but not part of the people i shot with at raton. 875 to 2023 yards. almost all scopes were in the 25x range. NO low powered scopes. no low powered scopes for 1000 yard shooting they go up to 80x, with 15-55 common. the civilians have been using power well for years. the mil has always been slow to change, but they have changed.

this statement clearly shows you as closed minded( and behind the times)
"I don't care about what scopes people rocked."
THE number one sniper in american history loved the 8-32x and your closed mind says "I don't care ..."
guess what, i do not care about your OPINION.

Oh you're right. You plinking with some NRA people at raton is sooo factual and gives a definitive answer to the question because, well, that's what they use. I'm the closed minded person. Yes because what the gear that other people are running and marketing in the industry is of no concern to me makes me ignorant.

You have soooo much information and military knowledge, and you know about my job more than I do because you read American sniper. Your right.

Your facts check out buddy. How dumb of me.

I wonder if next you'll let me know that Hillary should have won the elections next. Asking for a friend.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts