Scope specifications for ELD Target

I'll try to explain how and why we (my world) believe controlled/known stress causes us to sharpen and improve our mental and physical abilities to get better (natural, repeatable, smoother, etc.). I will readily admit there are people and in my 30 years of firearm skills training the exact opposite happens. The practice and training create mental and muscle memory. When those learned parameters are challenged skills increase (time, distance, precision) if the person wants their skills to increase. They also increase uncontrolled just not as refined or as extensive. Humans have all kinds of reasons we want our skills to increase and they started when we lived in caves and killed with rocks (Limbic System). Proven fact those who have a higher level skill set under stress will exponentially be able to perform those skills when in a non-stress situation. Yes again, there are a extremely small percentage the opposite is true.

I guess I am just lazy so prefer non stress. When I retired I swore I would never have another "deadline" I found that, yes, I preformed better under a dealine, but I also found that my knowledge that I could preform under deadlines made me to tend to put things off, knowing that it would be allright to do so because I would perform better and faster if I delayed it. That increased stress, and I hate stress. I hated doing it that way and it scared my bosses to death.

I wonder why people shoot targets under time restraint? That would presume the target was attacking? I would prefer to have my coffeee and a donut right there and take my time. My interest is in scaring the target away with close hits. About every 3 to 5 minutes between bites of my donut. I also love fishing but catching, not so much,
because in a match there are other shooters and more shooting to do ???

OK, that is a good explanation. I shoot alone because my Tank style muzzle brake, while reducing MY recoil, tends to make people near me recoil.

Nope.
SFP reticle covers less of the target at high magnification. With a FFP, the reticle can cover most or all of the target.
Can't aim small if I can't see small...
I like FFP because the reticle does scale. I think the reason lots of people don't max out magnification is because the reticle begins to obstruct the target.

I like FFP because the reticle does scale. I think the reason lots of people don't max out magnification is because the reticle begins to obstruct the target.
Could be....for me I don't want the visaul movement in hunting 90 percent of the situations. I can see more than clearly to aim where I want it to go and maintain the field of view I want.

^^^
I agree in a hunting application, this is about target.
In PRS, or other target shooting of unknown distance, FFP is mandatory to range your target (or game, if hunting).

I only see disadvantage in FFP when shooting ELR target at known distance.

I plan on taking my 50 BMG to the limits...4 maybe 5 miles?
The mount is a 30 MOA.
The scope I just (this morning) orered is 4-50x75 with simple cross with MOA hashmarks. Internal 60 MOA windage and 60 MOA elevation. ED FFP
I can stack another 30 MOA on the mount. For a total of 120 MOA. But before I stack all that up I will get a prism...LOL
What scope did you order if you don't mind me asking.

Also as to answer your question about time constraints. If you plan on waiting 5 minutes between shots, even at 2 miles you will be ****ing in the wind.

First round impacts at 2 miles are unlikely, although not impossible. You are likely going to miss, and spotting that impact and being able to make the appropriate correction before conditions change is what will make you successful.

^^^
I agree in a hunting application, this is about target.
In PRS, or other target shooting of unknown distance, FFP is mandatory to range your target (or game, if hunting).

I only see disadvantage in FFP when shooting ELR target at known distance.
Nobody serious ranges their targets in PRS with their reticle. The unknown vs the known distance is not where the disconnect lays.

The disconnect lays between certain age groups that only know what they know who are stubborn about what they know…because.

Now to explain the FFP, it's "better," for those that use the reticle as ruler. Again, not for ranging, but for shooting. Follow up shots are universal. In competitive sports, or in combat and hunting. Things don't always go down first shot, shots get missed regardless of how close or far you are. **** happens.

Secondly, once you have you're elevation, most people I know ( who shoot professionally not Palma and not BR) will hold wind. This has an expansive reason that requires its own response but to keep it short, because wind is not constant, and because it's better to play the wind change. People who know what they are doing bracket the wind.

This is easier translated to the scope on a hold, and holds require and accurate reticle. Generally speaking, one is not using the center reticle for any of this. Good reticles in ffp imo should a floating center dot anyways. For the sake of a good zero. But I digress.

For advance shooters, especially those that come from a legitimate sniper background, will be some of the few people experienced with movers. Samething as wind, you'll be using the reticle, usually with dope for tracking and ambush right? (Rhetorical, the answer is yes)

So, a FFP in the hands of someone that prefers to use particular skill sets: it's the way to go. I've never heard anyone in real life complain they missed a deer or washed out of sniper school or dropped points in a competition because the reticle was too thick. Maybe in BR but…I don't care what bench shooters do, myself.

While aim small miss small is a great mantra, there are reasonable limitations to it and is a more suited concern for someone trying to shoot a small pretty group. I don't find pretty groups super useful compared to a single shot into a vital area. Which is a large area.

Last edited:
Since I read mirage, it is better for me to "hold off" because I change my hold right up to the second I pull the trigger. Changing the scope requires time during which the wind will again change. If you dont read mirage, and I understand it is a Zen skill and some cant, then you will allways be at a disadvantage.