ELR spotting scope or target camera system

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 46119

We are finally getting our long range line setup. Something I have been working on for several years at the San Louis Sportsman's Association facility outside Morro Bay California. We have a couple bits of steel at 1,000 and others at intermediate ranges. More steel at longer ranges to come with time and $$ (more like $$$$). Then we will start having "contest" weekends open to those who would like to visit California's beautiful Central Coast and Wine country.

Here is the dilemma. We have a pretty constant coastal wind and thermals to create mirage. This means that even hits from large calibers are very difficult to spot with what I have been using. So far no one has brought a scope that can resolve well enough in those conditions.

Shooting/hitting at 1,000 and beyond is not a "new" thing for me. Spotting hits after impact for the purposes of making adjustment is. My previous system was good to 700 yards. My Sightron SIII and Nightforce NXS scopes could resolve impacts to let me fine tune. After 700 yards things seem to change.

I would love suggestions on what direction to proceed. Higher end spotting scope? Remote video target system? Drone? Other?

Conventional high end spotting scope is a known technology, however, I do not know how well they can resolve impacts on steel targets at 1,400 yards and beyond.

I know very little about remote video target systems. I know lots about how they work/technology but not the practicalities. Solar power, weatherproofing, remote camera exposed for extended periods. What are the practicalities and problems.

One of the guys was working on getting his DJI to cover the target but there is limited time to make the shot while the drone is on target. It takes 2 men to operate the drone, one to fly one to manage the camera. The loiter time on target is so low the drone may return before the shooter makes his shot. Additional problems are if the drone decides to land, retrieval requires an extended cease fire.

I was in the desert over the past weekend using the target hit flashing light system that I acquired for the Tonopah 2 Mile competition. We stayed fairly short, using it to 2,100 yards. The lights functioned flawlessly (flashing with every hit on the steel and sitting mutely when the shots hit the wooden support structure). As much as would love a remote camera system - getting one that reaches out to nearly 2 miles is not easy - especially if you want several cameras that run different frequencies to different video monitors. The perfect site/competition (to me) would run flashers in combination with a camera system.

Jeffvn

We were using the no longer for sale IRIS system. There is a new light system out there... brand new, I can't remember the name. They say its visible to 2 miles, but I can't say one way or another.

Jeffvn

One of the guys was working on getting his DJI to cover the target but there is limited time to make the shot while the drone is on target. It takes 2 men to operate the drone, one to fly one to manage the camera. The loiter time on target is so low the drone may return before the shooter makes his shot. Additional problems are if the drone decides to land, retrieval requires an extended cease fire.
Than don't fly the drone
Just 'aim' the camera at the target . . . pretty easy . . no ?

Or why not just let it hover ?

Last edited:
Than don't fly the drone
Just 'aim' the camera at the target . . . pretty easy . . no ?

Or why not just let it hover ?
Oh, thank you so much for calling us stupid. That was so kind of you.

Oh, thank you so much for calling us stupid. That was so kind of you.
Fred I am not calling anyone anything !

It's just an easy working solution
Finally the drone has the power / capability to send the images to you !
And the system is relatively 'inexpensive' compared to the other solutions

Shooting/hitting at 1,000 and beyond is not a "new" thing for me. Spotting hits after impact for the purposes of making adjustment is
So how did you see your impacts at 1000 (+) yards ?
How did you made adjustments previously ?
What equipment did you use here . . . ?

Let me be now the stupid one here . . . .

Higher end spotting scope
So the high end are the :
1. Hensoldt 45 or 60
2. Swarovski STR65 or STR80
3. Big eyes like the Kowa Highlander 32 x 82, APM 100-45 ED-Apo, etc . . .

But Google them and check the prices
Cheaper might work . . . but once passed the 1000 yards you can forget the cheap ones
Actually I would say passed the 600 yard mark forget them

Hint 1 : Big Eyes don't have a reticle
But watching for a splash with both eyes works way better and is way more relaxing !

Hint 2 : that's why you see at ELR matches mostly 2 spotters per shooter (if allowed)

Remote video target system
You need to try it at the location
Some will work some won't work
All depends on the system (GHz & Watt) used and all the interference at the location
I personally never seen one running on solar panels
I suppose if the panels are big enough it should work
But be prepared to get some (bigger) batteries than your regular AA or AAA for a good system

Well you know the pros and contras of a drone already . . .

Last edited:
We were using the no longer for sale IRIS system. There is a new light system out there... brand new, I can't remember the name. They say its visible to 2 miles, but I can't say one way or another.

Jeffvn
Evening Jeff
Below is the website link
http://targetimpactsignal.com
There is another one on the market - as you mentioned - but this time I forgot the name . . .

Anyway Fred has some new info to check out / read about and see what he might like or not taken performance / budget into account

Last edited:
It's just an easy working solution
Finally the drone has the power / capability to send the images to you !
And the system is relatively 'inexpensive' compared to the other solutions
Yes captain obvious, we know all your suggestions. If it worked as easily as you suggest I would not have asked about scopes or target cam systems.

So how did you see your impacts at 1000 (+) yards ?
How did you made adjustments previously ?
What equipment did you use here . . . ?

Let me be now the stupid one here . . . .
I wouldn't say you are stupid. Just belligerent.

I'm not going to feed the troll by answering your questions.

So the high end are the :
1. Hensoldt 45 or 60
2. Swarovski STR65 or STR80
3. Big eyes like the Kowa Highlander 32 x 82, APM 100-45 ED-Apo, etc . . .

But Google them and check the prices
Cheaper might work . . . but once passed the 1000 yards you can forget the cheap ones
Actually I would say passed the 600 yard mark forget them

Hint 1 : Big Eyes don't have a reticle
But watching for a splash with both eyes works way better and is way more relaxing !

Hint 2 : that's why you see at ELR matches mostly 2 spotters per shooter (if allowed)
Thank you again Captain Obvious. If I was looking for that form of answer I would not have asked. I am familiar with all those to some extent.

Can you come up with something useful that is not belligerent?

You need to try it at the location
Some will work some won't work
All depends on the system (GHz & Watt) used and all the interference at the location
I personally never seen one running on solar panels
I suppose if the panels are big enough it should work
But be prepared to get some (bigger) batteries than your regular AA or AAA for a good system
Thank you Captain Vomit other peoples information without adding anything of use.

Captain Obvious
Belligerent
Captain Obvious
Captain Vomit

Maybe I forgot one . . .

Dear Mr Fred Seaman,

Actually I wasn't gonna reply to you but I really think I had too
LRH always seemed to be a nice and friendly forum but you changed that for me in an eye blink !

I never called you any names in any of my posts . . .
And you know why I never call people any names ?
Because my parents didn't raised me that way !

If you where so long in the shooting community I suppose you would or should have some knowledge / answers on all the subjects you are asking question about

Or at least some friends who could help you out . . .

Finally you claim that shooting out to 1000+ yards is not a new 'thing' to you
So than you should have knowledge on LR / ELR shooting and know what equipment to use since you already did it !
If I ask you this question you simply reply with "I am not going to feed the troll with answering your question"

Anyway I wish you all the best and enjoy shooting !

But please stop calling people names like stupid, vomit, belligerent, etc . . .

In all your replies you made above apparently you know everything better than all of us together . . . .

You know how the drone works
You know how to shoot at 1000+ yards
You know all about spotting scopes and big eyes
You know all about RX and TX of images

But please don't keep this attitude in your shooting club
Since it might be a 'hell' of a shooting club . . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.