spotting scope question

The problem with the remote camera setup is if or when I purchase a spotting scope I will also want to use it on game. I cant justify spending 800-900$ on a camera setup to play around at 1500yd to 1800yd when my real world shots will be within 800-900yds and I will still need a spotting scope. I was hopeing to get a all in one spotting scope to see my far off hits on steel and be good for seeing game.

The problem with the remote camera setup is if or when I purchase a spotting scope I will also want to use it on game. I cant justify spending 800-900$ on a camera setup to play around at 1500yd to 1800yd when my real world shots will be within 800-900yds and I will still need a spotting scope. I was hopeing to get a all in one spotting scope to see my far off hits on steel and be good for seeing game.

first off youd be asking alot to see actual hits on steel at those distances with any scope regardless of quality.
id suggest you switch to shooting at rocks where you might see some dust or dirt fly.
with a muzzel brake you should see your own hits even at those distances. certainly another guy using another rifle scope should be able to call shots for you.
for hunting a spotting scope is just about a necessity.
i doubt there are more long range hunters anywhere than there are in pa. virtually all of them are using twin spotters for finding game as well as for the shooting part.
most of us consider them to be by far our most important piece of equiptment.
i can tell you what has been and still is the most popular scope for that purpose there.
but id no doubt be stoned off the site for saying so.:)

I want throw stones either. You can't dangle a carrot like that and not give it up.

at one time bausch&lomb produced some of the finest optics in the world.
years back bushnell purchased bausch&lomb.
by and large most pa hunters used those scopes. the spacemaster was and frankly still is the most popular scope in use there.
you can listen to all the hoopla over this scope or that one. but bottom line is
those will stack up with the best of them even today.
on a good day you will find as many deer as any of them. and on a poor day the big pricy ones wont work well either.
certainly some will come out of their chair over that comment.
well i have 6 different sets of large glasses including a set of 77mm kowas.
you tell me what youd like to look thru and ill have it for you to do that.
if its made theres a set of them in nc pa. theres probably no other place in
the world that can make that claim. i have old 50mm bushnells in a bracket
that will do everything a new pair of 15x56 swaros will do.
that comment will **** a few off also.
the ledgendary jack oconner could have used any binnoculars he wanted.
he chose bausch&lomb zephers. i have those also and youd be welcome to
compare them with yours. they can occaisionaly be found on ebay for under $200. bushnell spacemasters as a rule bring under $150. the balscopes are
usually in that range also. as a rule you wont get highly desirable eyepieces
when you buy a used scope on ebay. most spacemasters will have a zoom. the balscopes might have a straight 20x which is excellant quality but not much for field. buy the scope regardless and then scrounge around for a more desirable eyepiece.
years back when we were using a single spotter the 20x b&l is what we used. i later put that scope along with another in a bracket for my son when he was about 15. he's now 47 and he also has a set of kowas.
last year he never used the kowas. so what does that tell you. i can tell you this, centimental reasons had nothing to do with it. in fairness he only has 30
wides for his kowas and he felt they were a bit much for the conditions we had. a new set of 20s would exceed the entire value of the balscopes including bracket.
so its all about what works and works well. but if that dosent do it for you
its for you to decide.

Our older spotters, the M144, we're made by B&L. I still have several issued. My guys prefer them over the Leupold MK4 for observation. A Swarovski, however, they are not.

Our older spotters, the M144, we're made by B&L. I still have several issued. My guys prefer them over the Leupold MK4 for observation. A Swarovski, however, they are not.

no they are not. and a chevy tahoe isnt an escalade either is it?
the point was, what is a good scope that will get the job done very well.
fact is if somebody wants to shoot rocks at 1500 or even further the old
balscope or spacemaster will allow for seeing the hits. trust me on that.
no doubt you can with a swarovski or kowa also. and you might even say to your buddy next to you that you saw it better than him. and hopefully you
did since your kids gave up the disneyworld trip so you could have it.:D

not all that many years back none of us had swarovskis or kowas. or nightforces either for that matter.
and you know what, lots and lots of deer were shot at some very impressive distances without them.
you would need a large truck if you were to gather up all those old scopes still in use in nc pa. none of them ever go to a scrap pile. if a guy gets
a better set he either keeps his old ones or sells them to somebody anxious to have them.

I agree with you. I have been thinking of upgrading my spotter but find it kinda hard to justify is the "juice worth the squeeze". I can get by with what i have, but after using an issued swaro and one at a buddy's house I am not satisfied. Ignorance is bliss. I also have priorities, at least my wife does. She took the kids on a vacation to Florida last month that could have been my new Swarovski...women!:rolleyes:

I know the exact spot i buried all my bausch & lomb and bushnell products on the farm i grew up on in north east pa. Once i got enough money to purchase my swarovski binos and spotting scopes
i could finally see clearly...there is just no way for me to put them all on the same line .for me and a ton of other people i know that shot all over the world there is no better glass than swarovski or s & b period.even in ****** weather they will always out perform others...just my side of the story and as you already said to each his own.

now be honest with us here extreme. i mean were all friends right? :)
did the better optics increase the distance of your longest pa kill?
because if they did your one of the very few.
lots of us have the tools to do that. but for some reason it just hasent happened.
maybe it has something to do with the taste of gravey. :D

Yobuck,
i am a honest gie ,i would like to think we are all friends. Having
said that ,i,am saying before i got better glass i did not take a lot of shots because i was limited on what i could see at longer distances
clearly. Our farm was 400 acres and farmers on both sides of ours were larger ,,so i was able to get out to 1000 yards very easy...

I will say this before i get crapped on ,,i was young then and just learning long range shooting mostly with kentucky windage but i did get very good at it and even better when i could see what i was shooting at clearer. So i guess my answer is yes it did help me.

2.21 miles through a kowa 884 with the phone scope.

Attachments

• 91B6CDFA-FCE3-4A57-A94C-C9D2A7BA7CDF.jpeg
    91B6CDFA-FCE3-4A57-A94C-C9D2A7BA7CDF.jpeg
    749.8 KB · Views: 29
Your daylight savings time is broken, instead of springing forward one hour you went the wrong way by a decade.😂😂😂

Your daylight savings time is broken, instead of springing forward one hour you went the wrong way by a decade.😂😂😂
Besides all that, seeing a truck is one thing, seeing bullet hits is quite another.
When your close enough to be able to do that consistantly, quite a few of them will work pretty well.