Scope specifications for ELD Target

Reticles are subjective, some like them busy some don't. I like a more open tree design, I like the ebr7c in vortex. I like a scope with a usable 18-20 power to a mile. I like more mag, but I want at least 18 power.
Most mid priced scopes in the 25x range seem to clear up when dialed to 16-20 power. More expensive scopes can get a really good picture a little higher up in the mag range. You can use any power you want on most scopes and be fine, but for that cold bore attempt I like a really clear picture with a good parallax and reticle focus setting.

Reticles are subjective, some like them busy some don't. I like a more open tree design, I like the ebr7c in vortex. I like a scope with a usable 18-20 power to a mile. I like more mag, but I want at least 18 power.
Most mid priced scopes in the 25x range seem to clear up when dialed to 16-20 power. More expensive scopes can get a really good picture a little higher up in the mag range. You can use any power you want on most scopes and be fine, but for that cold bore attempt I like a really clear picture with a good parallax and reticle focus setting.
I was thinking along those lines, Max power so when you back off to get clarity there is still some power left and a simple cross reticle.

The EBR 7C is a good choice, I prefer to run as much power as possible in order to see impacts or splash if my spotter did not catch the impact. Limiting factors that cause turning it down would be mirage. I would say out of all the ELR type shooting I do I will run 27x most of the time and in ruff conditions 18x

scope is a 4.5-27x56

Jeff

i agree on a non busy reticle, simple is better, less confusion. i like simple moa hash up and down on a center crrosshair.
you do not list a distance and that is important. 5.5-22x in either 50 or 56 is very good past one mile(nightforce)
i like fairly flat mounts with only a little tilt...use internal to go the distance.
valdada has a 5.5-40x in a 40mm tube with a ton of built in moa. with a 338 edge, 200 yard zero 2000 dial up is easy with plenty to spare

I plan on taking my 50 BMG to the limits...4 maybe 5 miles?
The mount is a 30 MOA.
The scope I just (this morning) orered is 4-50x75 with simple cross with MOA hashmarks. Internal 60 MOA windage and 60 MOA elevation. ED FFP
I can stack another 30 MOA on the mount. For a total of 120 MOA. But before I stack all that up I will get a prism...LOL

The 1/8MOA adjustments are a non-trivial consideration, if you've ever ended up between clicks it's very frustrating, and for ELR 1/4 clicks can be measures in feet at long enough distacnces.

Highly adjustable and repeatable mount. Might still have barrel occlusion issues if the base isn't a tall enough riser.

As a random aside, a 5 mile shot has literally never been done before. It took Paul Phillips, a team of 13 people, and 69 shots to connect at 4 miles. I think the target was ~6 feet tall, since he mentioned 1 MOA. Paul and others have made 16" at one mile (~1 MOA) cold bore shots at Kof2M, it's really something to see the incredible effort they put into things like this.

Last edited:
My just ordered 4-50x72 has the .125 MOA clicks. I will be trying it out next month at 1000 and possibly 2000 yards (depending on how much time it takes to set up the range). We are spending a week on the first setup. Later in Dec we plan on extending the range to 3000yds and more testing and training.

Excellent to hear your plan is coming together, with the industry pushed as it has been its nice to see folks getting multiple hits under a time restraint lately at 3500

osoh

I wonder why people shoot targets under time restraint? That would presume the target was attacking? I would prefer to have my coffeee and a donut right there and take my time. My interest is in scaring the target away with close hits. About every 3 to 5 minutes between bites of my donut. I also love fishing but catching, not so much,

Christmas Tree (many good ones) MOA style and most long range (500yd and up 18X). Almost never go above 18x but will closer if there is time and nothing has to happen super fast. We add time restrictions to increase stress and make us better shooters.

Interesting...I would have thought that you would be better shooters if not under stress. I think I am. More time to make sure all the human parameters are properly set. When I am under stress I am more likely to make mistakes.