SCOPE HELP

I wouldn't worry about illuminated or not on your purchase decision. Pop the battery out and you're good.
I live in Colorado. Need to purchase a good scope must haves are

custom turret option
NON illuminated (illuminated scopes are illegal in CO to hunt with)
18 power or more
Zero stop
30mm tube
under 2lbs
around $1000 to $1500

Thanks in advance
ldnt

I wouldn't worry about illuminated or not on your purchase decision. Pop the battery out and you're good.

ldnt

Division of wildlife said even if the battery is not in the scope it is still not allowed

Called the DOW an asked. They said if it has a battery or capable of having one you can't use it to hunt.

I find that hard to believe because I have some friends in CO that has been hunting with illuminated reticle for years and I know they check the applicale rules and regulations. Not sure what DOW is but it got me curious and did some research.

I read through manner of taking in Chapter W-00 General Provisions (https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch00.pdf) and Chapter W-02 Big Game (https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch02.pdf) of the Wildife Regulations of Colorado Parks and Wildlife (https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/pages/regulations.aspx) and the only thing I found closed to your concern are:

#203 - Manner of take. Section 2.a.5 on page 4 of Chapter W-02

5 manner of take.JPG

and

#203 - Manner of take. Section 3.e on page 5 of Chapter W-02

5 manner of take bow.JPG

IIWY, I'd print a copy of the regs and re-engage with the law enforcement side of the fish and game, not the front desk.

Good luck!

Ed

custom turret option
18 power or more
Zero stop
30mm tube
under 2lbs
around $1000 to $1500

Thanks in advance
Surprised to hear illuminated reticles are illegal. Typically, illegal devices are those that actually project a beam....visible or non-visible...... as a laser, IR light, white light, etc onto the game/target. An illuminated scope reticle does not do this, and is thus legal.

custom turret option
18 power or more
Zero stop
30mm tube
under 2lbs
around $1000 to $1500

Thanks in advance
I would look at the zeiss conquest in 5x25x50 I have several and they are great

I just read the Colorado 2019 big game brochure and, just as mentioned already, the illumination of scopes only applies to muzzle-loaders and bows/crossbows. Not center-fire rifles or pistols. I had to check it out as I read the brochurel every year just to look for changes and never saw this applying to my method of take (center-fire rifle/pistol).

Darrell

I just read the Colorado 2019 big game brochure and, just as mentioned already, the illumination of scopes only applies to muzzle-loaders and bows/crossbows. Not center-fire rifles or pistols. I had to check it out as I read the brochurel every year just to look for changes and never saw this applying to my method of take (center-fire rifle/pistol).

Darrell

I read the current reg but it made reference to the site I noted on # 18 as their source document so I read up on it too.

I live in Colorado and have asked a Dow officer in the field about this and he said as long as it doesnt prduce light or a visable lazer then its fine. He also said it was written for muzzleloader and archery hunting to keep them "primitive "

custom turret option
18 power or more
Zero stop
30mm tube
under 2lbs
around $1000 to $1500

Thanks in advance
are they legal if you take the battery out? and nightforce has or had a SHV that was not illuminated for around what you want to spend

custom turret option
18 power or more
Zero stop
30mm tube
under 2lbs
around $1000 to $1500

Thanks in advance
custom turrents are not worth it just range and dial it

Last edited:
I see that but your quoted reference is only referring to muzzleloader and bow not centerfire. Or am I missing your point?

Darrell
Yes! The reg made reference to the site for the complete regulation as its source. With regards to what I quoted, "IF" you read my opening statement leading to it, that' s why. I am also responding on the OP's battery comment.

complete reg.JPG

and the only thing I found closed to your concern are:

Called the DOW an asked. They said if it has a battery or capable of having one you can't use it to hunt.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts