Scope Help!

MObowhunter10

Hello Everyone! I'm just starting to get into long range hunting after shooting a doe last year at 834 steps with my uncles Gunwerks LR-1000. I have a 300 weatherby that should be ideal for a long range set up, with a 26 inch fluted barrel, I've been looking up reviews and it seems like the 300 weatherby is a pretty solid cartridge for long range shooting. Now all I need to do is find a solid scope for it. I've been looking at the huskemaw and Nightforce, but I just cant justify dropping 1300 dollars on one rifle scope.... So here's my question, Do you guys know of a good semi long range scope (700 yards or less) that is 600 dollars or less? Thanks, Steven

Leupold VX3 LR should come in around there. At the end of the day, the gun is only as good as its sights. MK4's and NXS's are expenxive, but they work and last. I'm not a fan of the Husky personally.

Last edited:
Another scope that hasn't been mentioned is the Konus M30 series. From what I have read it is an amazing piece of glass.

I have no experience with this scope, maybe someone can jump in here, but I from what I have read, I am planning on getting one!!!!

Cheers gun)

I like the Leupold VX3's. They're substantial scopes and will do what you're looking for. They are a great starting point and a good investment. I own two VX-III's (4.5-14 & 6.5-20, both 40mm) and a VX-3 LR version (6.5-20X50). All three are superb scopes, IMO. Good warranty.
I also own a couple of Nikon's; a Monarch (6.5-20X44) and a BuckMaster (6-18x40). They are good scopes for the coin. They are tough and should a problem arise with one of them, Nikon is easy to deal with and will take care of you and your investment.
I think they advertise their turn-around time as 7 days and it is. I sent the older (1985'ish) Monarch back for re-calibration of the parallax adjustment and it came back "spot on" at absolutey no cost to me. It is a good scope that I have dialed out to, and taken game at 600yds.
The Nikon BuckMaster series "is what it is". The one I own resides on a Savage 112BVSS in .300WinMag and I routinely take it out to 500yds +, and back, consistently.
I've tried cheaper scopes and they seem good at first but their true colors show after a few hours behind the ocular. The more expensive scopes ($1000+), keep 'em. JohnnyK.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and look into the Ziess Conquest with Rapid Z 600 Reticle. You can get one from Sport Optics for 575 dlrs no tax or shipping. The reticle has crosshairs for up to 650 yards and you can go online and use the Ziess ballistics calculater for your caliber and bullet. I shoot out to 500 yards with mine and it is great. Hold dead on at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.