SCOPE HELP

I helped a friend sight in his rifle last year and he had a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20. It worked flawlessly. We were sighting in his Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor.
We shot at 100, 250, 460, 500 and 770 yards. Turrets were repeatable and glass was good. He used it last year and shot deer and other critters, out to around 500 yards. He hunts in Mexico.

I was in Cody last year and happened to meet one of the gunsmiths that work for Best of the West and got a tour of the place. Great folks there.

You can use the scope with an ordered custom turret and I found that that using it like a mil scope worked for me too and matched my Shooter app.

I'm thinking about trying one for myself.

Edited to say:
I used the dial , turret, that came with the scope like I do my mil scopes. All my scopes are mil. It worked fine like that and matched my app. Each click ( if I remember correctly) is 1/3 moa. Real close to a mil.

Last edited:
Called the DOW an asked. They said if it has a battery or capable of having one you can't use it to hunt.
Sadly you talked to an idiot. Unfortunately, they seem to hire more and more of these people who have zero knowledge and only a college degree. They don't know their own laws. You should have heard the confusion when I called in and pointed out their brochure says a lead round ball used for deer must be .50 and for elk must be .54. I told them that a ball for a .50 rifle is .490 and for a .54 cal it is .53....They didn't know what the hell I was talking about and tried to find their "expert" to figure it out.....Never responded back after that. After all, according to their brochure you would need a .54 to hunt deer and of course something larger than a .54 rifle for elk.....

I live in Colorado. Need to purchase a good scope must haves are

custom turret option
NON illuminated (illuminated scopes are illegal in CO to hunt with)
18 power or more
Zero stop
30mm tube
under 2lbs
around $1000 to $1500

Thanks in advance
Zeiss V4, or a V6 (if you can find one priced within your budget).

custom turret option
18 power or more
Zero stop
30mm tube
under 2lbs
around $1000 to $1500

Thanks in advance
Huskemaw 5-20 ×50 custom turret built for your load easy to use best repeatability on market $1499.99

custom turret option
18 power or more
Zero stop
30mm tube
under 2lbs
around $1000 to $1500

Thanks in advance
Thanks for the heads up " (illuminated scopes are illegal in CO to hunt with)!!!! WOW that sucks; every scope I have is illuminated!

Here's the dope on the illuminated RETICLE issue for big game hunting.
Illuminated reticles are fine for rifle season by any approved method of take. Rifle. pistol, muzzleloader and bows are all legal in rifle season.
Illuminated reticles (any scopes actually) are illegal in muzzleloading and archery seasons.
Any scope that EMITS a visible light outside of the body of the scope is illegal period for rifle season and by default muzzlloading and archery too.
A laser rangefinding scope that emits a beam not visible to the human eye is legal.
As long as the light stays within the body of the scope you are fine, as soon as visible light exits the body of the scope it becomes illegal.
I didn't ask about hogs or night or anything other than big game hunting.

Darrell

DOW is wrong. Illuminated reticles for rifle hunts are ok in colorado.

Just called again Illuminated scopes are legal. Just depends on who you talk to. First person said it was illegal LOL. Illuminating are not

I would suggest that if you are truly unsure if your illuminated reticle scope is legal or not email the DOW field office in the area you intend to hunt and initiate a conversation with an officer. Ask specifically if illuminated reticle scopes are legal for hunting when used with a rifle. If the reply you receive is unclear or ambiguous in any way rephrase the question and try again until you get a crystal clear answer. Be respectful and not argumentative. Ask the officer what his/her name and rank is. Print out the entire conversation and carry it with you when you hunt. If you get checked and the officer is of the opinion that the scope is illegal show him/her the transcript. If the officer insists on writing you up you should go to court and show the transcript to the judge. I believe the chances are excellent that the charge will be dismissed based upon the transcript and the obvious effort you put into trying to stay within the law.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and you should use your own best judgement.

I would suggest that if you are truly unsure if your illuminated reticle scope is legal or not email the DOW field office in the area you intend to hunt and initiate a conversation with an officer. Ask specifically if illuminated reticle scopes are legal for hunting when used with a rifle. If the reply you receive is unclear or ambiguous in any way rephrase the question and try again until you get a crystal clear answer. Be respectful and not argumentative. Ask the officer what his/her name and rank is. Print out the entire conversation and carry it with you when you hunt. If you get checked and the officer is of the opinion that the scope is illegal show him/her the transcript. If the officer insists on writing you up you should go to court and show the transcript to the judge. I believe the chances are excellent that the charge will be dismissed based upon the transcript and the obvious effort you put into trying to stay within the law.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and you should use your own best judgement.

That's exactly what I did for the OP ...

scott dow.JPG

email from DOW.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.