Help with scope

forest

Hi, could anyone give me advice on scopes please, I am new to this site so hope to get some help here. I have been hunting from in and around 100-250yards and not much more. Mostly on vermin the last 15years. I am now hoping for bigger game and may go as far as 400yards. I also would like to try 800-1000yards at steel plates to see what I am capable of.
I have been looking at the Schmidt and Bender pm11/Lp or Night force scopes, in around 4x16x50 , 3x12x50, or 3x20x50 in the Schmidt. What sort of mag do you guys think would suit my needs best? I don't think I will ever be trying any shots at game over 400-500 yards as that I feel my be my limit until I improve a lot more. Also could you also give advice on the best mounts you would use for the scope.

If you have the budget to do so the scopes you names are excellent.

I'd also say take a look at the NF MR's linked to for you as well as taking a hard look at the US Optics and Steiner Military models.

Stick with 50mm or larger objectives and 14x or bigger on the magnification and you will be in good shape. There are a lot of times that very high magnification can be problematic so don't start thinking you've just got to have something with more than 25x on the top end.

Thanks for that help I will take all on board before I buy a scope, I have a few week s yet so I will weigh up my options.

Thanks for that help I will take all on board before I buy a scope, I have a few week s yet so I will weigh up my options.
I got reminded last week just how important it is to have lots of room on the bottom end too when I had to shoot two running hogs at less than 70 yards.

Being able to dial all the way down to 4x with the VX6 4-24 made those shots possible whereas if I'd had one of my mark 4 8.5-25's it likely would not have been.

I also have a couple of the VX-6 3-18's and love them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.