Need Help With Scope For Sendero

feet-down

I am the owner of a new sendero sf II in 300 win mag. I would like to be able to shoot game out to 500 yards max. I am on a budget and am looking at the vari x II in 4-12x40 AO and the vari x 3 in 4.5-14x40. I am looking at $700 max for the scope with tax. Are these scopes a good option? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!!

Thanks for the reply, that is the one i was leaning to. Eventually I may want to shoot out to 700 or 800, would I need to upgrade my scope?

i am older and like a little higher power. if your scope has target turrets with room for a kenton knobb . i like leup.

The second I put a new scope on my rifle it becomes a used one. Look around with an eye for the future. Some folks quickly find 500yds. as interesting as throwing rocks while others find that 4X is not low enough to to be versatile. I have purchased a wrong scope and found it to be too expensive at any price -- so many good ones out there. I honestly see these questions are less about a particular scope in as much as they are more about suitability for the task with the money at hand.

There are lots of discussions here about the right scopes. So, you might try a little searching.

One thing to consider if you have or will have multiple rifles is to begin using 20 MOA picatinny rails for your bases.

These give the best versatility, performance, and affordability of any mounting system that I've run into. I like the EGW rails and Burris Tactical Elite rings.

It's very easy to switch scopes between rifles.

loaded for 4 300 wm senderos besides mine. it is the most forgiving cartridge to load for after the .222 and 308. just my experience. install a vais. adjust the trigger . mount scope. enjoy.

I did not think about the picatinny rails, thanks for the reminder. I appreciate all the input, I am always amazed about the knowledge you guys posess regarding shooting and how willing you are to help. Thanks again!

I have been shooting nightforces for about 9 years now and absolutely love them. I did however have a kid come to me wanting to learn the long range game and he had a budget. Well actually he was broke but did have a 7mm rem mag in an old sendero with a nikon monarch on it with target turrets. So I helped him get a load and worked up a drop chart. We went out shooting today and were shooting at 800 and the kid is picking up scary fast. Anyways when he said he seen the potmark in the rock where he shot I kind of did the ya, "right" I was looking through my 5.5-22 nxs and didnt see it. I looked through his scope because he didnt have enough elevation to shoot past 900 in his scope to shoot at the rocks at 1300 so he was using my setup and Ill be damned. That Nikon was clearer than my NXS.??????? I never looked back after I got my NXS and am not slamming them because they have yet to to fail me but Ill admit that a 4-500 dollar scope was clearer than my 1600 dollar nxs. That and the Nikon tracked extremelly well after a day of knob turning it was still on zero at the end of the day at 100. The only thing about that nikon I didnt like was the lack of internal adjustment. I got a 5-20 a friend is wanting to use for long range work. Pm me if you want to know how it turns out but so far Im extremelly impressed with the monarchs.

I still wouldnt trade a monarch for my NXS simply because at this point my NXS's havent let me down for almost 10years now, but I would defininetly think about considering a monarch.

screech,

Does Nightforce have a good warranty?

I'm pretty sure that Leupold is coverd for life and will clean one of theirs up, lubricate, calibrate, etc... and send it back for little or no charge.

I don't think that's the case with Nikon. But, I've had good luck with my Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40. Clear optics and good tracking. The BDC Reticle is thicker than I like. I think I would get MilDot if I had a do-over.

thanks,
Richard

Last edited:
I know night force does but I hate to send my stuff off. Its not broke, it tracks and works fine so I hate to go without a scope for awhile. I Might be sending it in though to have zero stops put on it and may have them look at it then.

If it's for hunting, I love the Boone and Crockett and BDC reticle. depending on what scope you buy. Out to 500 is cake. Hope it helps.

I would look into the sightrons.. I would never buy another Luepy over a sightron.

Look into the SIII line. They are worth way more then they cost. All my rifles get sihtrons on the top.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.