Scope for 1000+

As far as the CDS, it does come with one free custom dial, I just bought a VX-3 4.5-14 CDS for a .270 my boy will shoot next year, haven't worked up a load for it yet to test out the dial. I originally sent off my VX3 6.5-20 off to the factory to get a 1000yd turret put on it for my 168bergers, for the most part is pretty **** close out to 800-900yds, haven't shot it a lot much further. I realize the elements really start coming into play at the longer ranges, that's the reason I'm now looking for an overall longer range set up, to be a little more accurate with the distance against the elements. I live in Montana, so hunting can range from 3000'-10,000' where I shot my mountain goat, and temps from 60deg to -20, (burr)!
You'd be money ahead to just put MOA turrets on and set up drop charts for the different altitude and temperature extremes rather than trying to go with the premarked custom range turrets.

There are several guys here who have used plastic label makers to make their own custom rang turrets which you can do for literally pennies.

If you hunt at one altitude then the CDS custom turrets make a lot of sense as long as you aren't using a particularly temperature sensitive powder.

As far as turrets go im all for getting into MOA turrets on my next scope, as far as my CDS for my boys .270 I wont allow him to shoot further than im comfortable with him shooting, so I think that turret will work as he grows with shooting. As for powder I use retumbo in my 7mm. I've had really good luck,with it! The turret I got for my 6.5-20 was before I really began to even understand the element world, which I'm still just learning! Thanks for all your input, that's why I joined this forum, to get all the good with the bad and make better overall decisions!

As far as turrets go im all for getting into MOA turrets on my next scope, as far as my CDS for my boys .270 I wont allow him to shoot further than im comfortable with him shooting, so I think that turret will work as he grows with shooting. As for powder I use retumbo in my 7mm. I've had really good luck,with it! The turret I got for my 6.5-20 was before I really began to even understand the element world, which I'm still just learning! Thanks for all your input, that's why I joined this forum, to get all the good with the bad and make better overall decisions!
I've been doing this for a long time and this site is the one place I can go to learn something new every day.

You might want to take a look a Greybull Precision. I've had the pleasure to use one of there Precision Hunting Optics for the last 6 months, and I'm very impressed. For me, it has proven to be a very versitle hunting scope. Tracking spot on, very clear, very nice reticle, light weight, and a great power range for hunting. IMO Also, custom service has been spot on.

I am a big fan of Leupold and Zeiss, owning several of each.

I put a Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST FFP plan on a 338LM and after 300+ rounds I have had not a single issue shooting to 1500 yds and always tracking perfectly. I would buy another.

JMHO

I am a big fan of Leupold and Zeiss, owning several of each.

I put a Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST FFP plan on a 338LM and after 300+ rounds I have had not a single issue shooting to 1500 yds and always tracking perfectly. I would buy another.

JMHO

How would you compare the glass to the others? Do you have any problems w/ clarity at full power out to 1500yds?

No problem with clarity at 1500 yds but side by side comparisons will show Leupold and Zeiss to be more clear.

I know it might be a little bigger than your looking for but the Scheels in Billings, MT. Has the Night Force NXT 5-22 x 56 (no zero stop) for sale For $1399, down from $1799, seems like a **** good price, I would buy it but don't quite have the permission yet, just bought a pair of EL 10x42's!

I´ve owned a bunch of Viper PST scopes since they were first released and never ever had an issue with one. I recently purchased a couple of Razor HD´s and it is a huge upgrade. Used to top my rifles with leupolds in the past and don´t think I would pick a leupold over a Vortex any time soon. There are a lot of LRH features that you´ll love on a Vortex that you would have to sacrifice for a little optical quality, just doesn´t seem logical since Vortex optical quality is very far from poor. Mi first concern about leupold scopes is that I have personally had tracking issues on 2 of them and heard about a lot of similar cases.

I´ve owned a bunch of Viper PST scopes since they were first released and never ever had an issue with one. I recently purchased a couple of Razor HD´s and it is a huge upgrade. Used to top my rifles with leupolds in the past and don´t think I would pick a leupold over a Vortex any time soon. There are a lot of LRH features that you´ll love on a Vortex that you would have to sacrifice for a little optical quality, just doesn´t seem logical since Vortex optical quality is very far from poor. Mi first concern about leupold scopes is that I have personally had tracking issues on 2 of them and heard about a lot of similar cases.
What features is Leupold lacking?

To make a "fair" comparison I´ll take the Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP marked @ $950 and the Leupold VX-3 6.5-20X50 marked @ $899-$999 (street price, not MSRP) depending on color and reticle.
I´ll make a list on the features that vortex has over the VX-3
4:1 zoom ratio vs 3:1
FFP reticle
Mil or MOA based reticle with numbers in it and matching turrets.
Illuminated reticle (I don´t use it, but it´s there)
Uncapped turrets
Zero Stop
In my experience better tracking
In my experience better construction (0 out of 9 Vipers had to be sent back for warranty 2 out of 10 Leupolds had to be sent back) maybe I had bad luck and I speak for myself here.
I find the ergonomics on the PST´s more user friendly, turrets and magnification are far more readable.

Please enlighten me with what features other than the following does the VX-3 has over or on par with a PST maybe I´m missing something there.
1.- "Better optical quality" little ambiguous depending on the user
2.- Little lighter
3.- Some more elevation adjustment

To make a "fair" comparison I´ll take the Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP marked @ $950 and the Leupold VX-3 6.5-20X50 marked @ $899-$999 (street price, not MSRP) depending on color and reticle.
I´ll make a list on the features that vortex has over the VX-3
4:1 zoom ratio vs 3:1
FFP reticle
Mil or MOA based reticle with numbers in it and matching turrets.
Illuminated reticle (I don´t use it, but it´s there)
Uncapped turrets
Zero Stop
In my experience better tracking
In my experience better construction (0 out of 9 Vipers had to be sent back for warranty 2 out of 10 Leupolds had to be sent back) maybe I had bad luck and I speak for myself here.
I find the ergonomics on the PST´s more user friendly, turrets and magnification are far more readable.

Please enlighten me with what features other than the following does the VX-3 has over or on par with a PST maybe I´m missing something there.
1.- "Better optical quality" little ambiguous depending on the user
2.- Little lighter
3.- Some more elevation adjustment
FFP is not needed for a long range scope.

You can get the VX3 with several types of turrets including the popups and target turrets or have them equipped with the M1 Turrets.

Clarity and edge definition are not ambiguous.

Better low light performance is not ambiguous.

I have no problem at all reading Leupold Turrets and I'm a typical over fifty guy that now needs reading glasses.

I had two rifles with me one evening to cojmpare. One haqd the Vortex 6-24x50 PST EBR-1 MRAD on it, the other the leupold VX3-L 6-20. I was able to watch deer at 300yds for a full ten minutes longer with the Leupold than the Vortex.

In over thirty years of owning dozens of Leupolds from cheap VX1's to VX6's and Mark IV's I've never had to send one back for repair, had tracking issues or one that would not maintain it's zero. 3 of the 4 Vortex's I've owned in the last 4 years ended up being sent back for repair. I can't say enough about the customer/warranty service but I can say it was a real pain and a lot of wasted ammo figuring out I had problem scopes and had I been relying on one of them for a once in a lifetime hunt the hunt would have been ruined.

WildRose, I like what you have to say about the last minute light levels, a lot of people look through scopes in the store, fewer look at them outside, and even fewer compare them at low light levels! To me functions can help in different applications, I feel the optical level per price point is and should be one of the biggest factors when purchasing scopes, whether spotting, bino's or rifle! Prieto9000, you mentioned you picked up a couple of Razor HD's which I believe run in the $2500 range, did you compare to any Nightforce or thier high end scopes? Also for the amount you spending you could also look at S & B, not trying to start arguments but I really like to hear reasons behind people's decisions, like I say everybody see's differently through the same scope, so are there really wrong or right answers, I believe it's a lot to do with personal preference, thanks. Good and honest replys are always welcome!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.