Scary Thought on Primers

It can be done, but with some precautions. We have intentionally used pistol primers in rifles and rifle primers in pistol loads, but not all primers are equal in cup thickness and strength. Decades ago while preparing several thousands of rounds for an upcoming Pdog shoot, I inadvertently spilled some SRP on the bench, and then proceeded to collect them and place in the primer tube of my Dillion. Unfortunately, there were a few loose SPP lying on the bench, and they became mixed with the SRP. During the Pdog shoot, I noticed a few rounds began to cause gas blow back around the firing pin and into my face. The SPP were piercing at the firing pin indent.

As for using rifle primers in handguns, I do this rather frequently for some of my high pressure loads like, 38 Super+P+, 9x23 Win, 357 Mag, 357 RemMax, 44 Mag, 45 WinMag, and a couple of others. Most of these guns have either proven ability to properly indent the primer or they have been modified with increased hammer springs. Also, they have been checked to insure the rifle primers are not extending beyond the back of the case, as this can cause problems. Be careful here, as some brands and batches of brass may have too shallow a primer pocket.

While most of these loads do not "require" a rifle primer, it has deceased the chances of blowing one with some of my high pressure rounds. Especially the 38 Super +P+ and the 9x23 Win, which is basically a 223 case cut down and running in the 50-55K PSI range.
Similarly, using LPP, usually magnums, in a rifle round may function well, but her again, use some caution and experiment first. Large rifle primer pockets are typically deeper, so the LPP may sit a little too deep for some firing pins and cause hang or misfires or pierced primers due to too thin of cups.

Basically, start low and work up, experiment and enjoy increasing your loading knowledge and shooting pleasure.

Last edited:
I use LP in 7.62x39 in my cz527 because I have 10s of thousands of them left from when I used to shoot hard ball matches. Loads have to be worked up, just like any other change in components.

So, here's a question I was asked that I had no answer for.

In this time of primer shortages, it's only a matter of time until someone substitutes a magnum large pistol primer for a magnum large rifle. Or a large pistol for a large rifle primer.

What will happen?

I was asked this question yesterday and had no answer. It never occurred to me🤔.

What say you gurus?
In an article a great many years ago I read did substituted LR primers in the 500 Smith. If I remember correctly. The reason behind that was people that were shooting that firearm were setting off a second round in the air and hitting themselves in the head with the 500. The thinking was that LR primers out side case is thicker or stronger, and it takes more to set it off. I still due even today use LR primers in my 500 Smith. It's my understanding the only real difference is the thickness or hardness of the outside case of the two difference primers. It take more to set the primer off the LR primers. I believe the article was written in American Hunter about changing to LR Primers. I didn't have scanning at that time. My Late Friend did a lot of pistol reloading, We develop a loads for that 500 Smith that was way ahead of what was shown then and what it shown now with H110. My friend did call about the use of LR primer verses LP primers and that what we came up with. The 500 Smith does require two hands to hold. I looked back as to when I set out the reloading info. I note the last date was 12/5/2013 in PDF file. I had the load long before that. Somewhere in the early middle of the 2000.
It is also my understanding that's the only reason between the two or three primer makeups is what it takes to strike the primers to set it off.
Now that the only case that I use a LR primer in the 500 Smith. I am not saying to do that.
Man this should set off a storm!

It can be done, but with some precautions. We have intentionally used pistol primers in rifles and rifle primers in pistol loads, but not all primers are equal in cup thickness and strength. Decades ago while preparing several thousands of rounds for an upcoming Pdog shoot, I inadvertently spilled some SRP on the bench, and then proceeded to collect them and place in the primer tube of my Dillion. Unfortunately, there were a few loose SPP lying on the bench, and they became mixed with the SRP. During the Pdog shoot, I noticed a few rounds began to cause gas blow back around the firing pin and into my face. The SPP were piercing at the firing pin indent.

As for using rifle primers in handguns, I do this rather frequently for some of my high pressure loads like, 38 Super+P+, 9x23 Win, 357 Mag, 357 RemMax, 44 Mag, 45 WinMag, and a couple of others. Most of these guns have either proven ability to properly indent the primer or they have been modified with increased hammer springs. Also, they have been checked to insure the rifle primers are not extending beyond the back of the case, as this can cause problems. Be careful here, as some brands and batches of brass may have too shallow a primer pocket.

While most of these loads do not "require" a rifle primer, it has deceased the chances of blowing one with some of my high pressure rounds. Especially the 38 Super +P+ and the 9x23 Win, which is basically a 223 case cut down and running in the 50-55K PSI range.
Similarly, using LPP, usually magnums, in a rifle round may function well, but her again, use some caution and experiment first. Large rifle primer pockets are typically deeper, so the LPP may sit a little too deep for some firing pins and cause hang or misfires or pierced primers due to too thin of cups.

Basically, start low and work up, experiment and enjoy increasing your loading knowledge and shooting pleasure.
Right on!!!

Real question is WHY is there no primers after 2 years. Like the Russian people, that don't realize what is happening in Ukraine .
Same thing here! If you think the American factory's couldn't possibly produce enough primers in 2 years to keep up with demand then you must still believe there is a tooth fairy???? Our Government is directly involved in this.......they don't want you to have them.........simply as that. So if you voted for these clowns blame yourself NOT the primer manufacturer.
How stupid are American's getting.
many? pds! pretty dang STUPID!

I recently read an article...and I don't recall where or who, so take that.

An executive from one of the U.S. manufacturer's of primers (I believe there are only three) said 'first our primers are allotted to gov't contracts, next our companies' ammo production, finally to large ammo manufacturers and lastly to the reloading markets...and it is projected to take three years for us to catch up with demand'.

After reading that, I stopped all plinking centerfire and plink only .22 lr...saving my stash for serious business.

Last edited:
So, here's a question I was asked that I had no answer for.

In this time of primer shortages, it's only a matter of time until someone substitutes a magnum large pistol primer for a magnum large rifle. Or a large pistol for a large rifle primer.

What will happen?

I was asked this question yesterday and had no answer. It never occurred to me🤔.

What say you gurus?
I have accidently loaded 375HH with large pistol magnum primers vs the 215M because the packages looked identical
Shot the exact same

Probably nothing and worst case it will punch a primer. Heck I need to load up some 223 today I'll let you know.
I have used rifle primers in handguns a lot. No difference and some pistols require two strikes every now and then.

I believe that large pistol primers and large rifle primers are different heights, unlike SPP & SRP. That could be another issue with inadvertently switching them. I would think that a LRP would stand proud in a LPP pocket.
On FB, the question was asked there answer was, I've done for years being used in 308 cartridge.

Heres a good thread I found elsewhere on the internet that details some of this stuff. Its not a scientific study, but good real life info I feel.