Scary Thought on Primers

I have shot literally tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm and 40 with small rifle primers, works great in everything. Still using SRP in all my handgun loads now as I have a bunch left and I have zero issues doing it. For 9mm major and important matches I used magnum SRP, tightened the ES up to single digits with 3N37.

Heres a good thread I found elsewhere on the internet that details some of this stuff. Its not a scientific study, but good real life info I feel.

From what I've read the problem is using pistol in rifles, rifle primers in pistols does not seem to be an issue besides strikes not hard enough to set off in some pistols.

So, here's a question I was asked that I had no answer for.

In this time of primer shortages, it's only a matter of time until someone substitutes a magnum large pistol primer for a magnum large rifle. Or a large pistol for a large rifle primer.

What will happen?

I was asked this question yesterday and had no answer. It never occurred to me🤔.

What say you gurus?
I have successfully used small rifle primer in place of small pistol magnum primer but not confident one could go the opposite direction, but I would think a large pistol magnum primer could possibly be used as a large rifle primer for certain rifle calibers, but not a large rifle Magnum primer.

Pistol primers will NOT stand the pressure of rifle loads and they usually fractor on the point of the firing pin strike,needless to say the the carbon debris comes back into the action and bolt, in most cases it will result in jamming the bolt, been there got the T shirt,NOT recommended.

Ive been loading small rifle primers in 9mm for the last year. Works fine
Used Small Rifle all the time for 38 Super major loads when I shot USPA and Can IPSC they worked great and less likely to have primer blowouts with them! That's was back in the 90's and would buy them cases at a time.

Guys in the record shooting bench rest have been using pistol primers in rounds like 6 Dasher, for years

I had a factory round go off in chamber, 243, and the Russian made, primer blew out backwards...toward me, the shooter. The round went off, sounded funny, hot gas escaped back toward me. The gas blowing out the primer pocket was like a cutting torch, kind of. The bolt face was blackened, the ejector button was pushed back into it's hole and did not pop back out. Recoil was much less. Hit the bullseye 25 yards away.
I contacted the company and they were concerned. They had bought a batch of Russian primers that were a tad small? Not perfect anyway. My bolt got repaired just by sending it back to the rifle manufacturer. No one was injured. I would hate to do that with a 338.
Loose primer pockets are possible with reloading a case a few times, maybe even once. Life is full of risk ...best to know your risks going in.

I guess that covers it. It did bring to my attention about the primer height. I had forgotten about that. It's something that I don't normally do. Just in my 500 Smith. I always check my primer height anyway.

Pistol primers will NOT stand the pressure of rifle loads and they usually fractor on the point of the firing pin strike,needless to say the the carbon debris comes back into the action and bolt, in most cases it will result in jamming the bolt, been there got the T shirt,NOT recommended.
Never had anything like that and been punching primers for well over 30 years. Worst situation was using moly coated bullets in the 90's. Punched a primer hunting elk and it pushed the tiny disk into the firing pin hole. Locked up the firing pin. Took it apart in the field and never happened before or after.

This isnt really about switching out rifle primers for pistol but who all has used Winchester primers? I just picked up 2000 primers the other day. Normally use chicken or Federal though I do have a brick or two of Remington