Scary Thought on Primers

GLTaylor

So, here's a question I was asked that I had no answer for.

In this time of primer shortages, it's only a matter of time until someone substitutes a magnum large pistol primer for a magnum large rifle. Or a large pistol for a large rifle primer.

What will happen?

I was asked this question yesterday and had no answer. It never occurred to me🤔.

What say you gurus?

So, here's a question I was asked that I had no answer for.

In this time of primer shortages, it's only a matter of time until someone substitutes a magnum large pistol primer for a magnum large rifle. Or a large pistol for a large rifle primer.

What will happen?

I was asked this question yesterday and had no answer. It never occurred to me🤔.

What say you gurus?
It can be done in some cases with safe load development rules followed. For instance I normally use small rifle primers in 5.7x28 but due to the shortage I only had CCI 550 small pistol magnum primers on hand. I safely worked up to my normal load and it ended up being exactly the same load as I was using with the SR primers. Velocity and POI were unchanged using the same bullet and charge weight. This is one of the most finicky rounds to load for in my opinion and it works with either primer.

If you put a pistol primer in for a rifle primer it could rupture.I believe that the cup is of lighter material.
This can be done, but only for lower-pressure loads. Those of use that shoot Schuetzen black powder cartridge replica loads using smokeless powdahs do it all the time, i.e., using a larger pistol primer in place of a large rifle primer, to lessen the brissance and not move the bullet forward upon the primer igniting. Cartridges are of the types of 38-55, 40-65 or 45-70, using cast bullets at BP velocities (1,500 FPS).

Screenshot_20220317-074117_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20220317-074147_DuckDuckGo.jpg

This help?
Screenshot_20210503-111523_DuckDuckGo.jpg

A friend of mine substituted small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers in his 9mm since he didn't have any small pistol primers. Of course he started on the low side of the charge and they worked fine.