Scary Thought on Primers

I have successfully used small rifle primer in place of small pistol magnum primer but not confident one could go the opposite direction, but I would think a large pistol magnum primer could possibly be used as a large rifle primer for certain rifle calibers, but not a large rifle Magnum primer.
I gu

I don't think there is a primer shortage. I have been able to buy primers every time I've needed them. I also think the risk of this type of substitution is no greater than it has ever been, much like all the other risks associated with reloading. None issue. However, the results could be very bad depending.
Would you buy me some I can use 2 thousand cci 200 s I'll be heading too West Texas next week , too my Ranch I will be glad too pay you extra for your troubles.

About switching out primers, pistol for rifle, shot 5 223s with bellot primers, one blew hole through primer, I needed a magnifying glass to see it, I was running charge near book max, seating them pretty short and had some good tension on the neck so adds up to a lot of pressure, if you start really low and work up and look for signs I think you can use pistol primers, I was using cheap ones and they shot well, seated deeper but pressure felt fine seating. I would not suggest doing it unless you know exactly how you have made that round and be accurate and consistent with how you make each round.

I went for a hike and test fired some small pistol primers in a 223. I seated the primers in as deep as I could with a Lee hand primer. Photo speaks for itself.
Ruger Predator, 55gr, 24.0 AR Comp, LC Brass, CCI 550.

Attachments

• EEA595F9-77A9-42AD-8489-1831890A3D4D.jpeg
    EEA595F9-77A9-42AD-8489-1831890A3D4D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
I've picked up about 5k of them in the last two month at lgs
Awesome. What are they going for? My local is selling them for 60/1000. You just have to be there 2 minutes before they open the door. Very hit and miss when they get a few.

I wanna say around $100 a brick and maybe $109 for the br primers. Place seems to be fair prices in my opinion. From what I gathered from talking with them is the margin is staying the same so I'd say that's fair.
I tend to believe them because they have a limit one one pound of powder a week.
I've seen them turn away customers that were screaming mad that drove 6 hours to get stuff and wanted to clean them out.
Owner simply said that's not fair to other customers and he wants to make sure people can shoot not hoard them or resale them
. He still thinks I'm reselling I'm sure cause I've bought so much. I did explain that I juts moved into my new house and had to start from scratch with reloading stuff.

So, here's a question I was asked that I had no answer for.

In this time of primer shortages, it's only a matter of time until someone substitutes a magnum large pistol primer for a magnum large rifle. Or a large pistol for a large rifle primer.

What will happen?

I was asked this question yesterday and had no answer. It never occurred to me🤔.

What say you gurus?
DON'T

So, here's a question I was asked that I had no answer for.

In this time of primer shortages, it's only a matter of time until someone substitutes a magnum large pistol primer for a magnum large rifle. Or a large pistol for a large rifle primer.

What will happen?

I was asked this question yesterday and had no answer. It never occurred to me🤔.

What say you gurus?
Nothing. I have been putting Large Magnum pistol primers in the 308, 356 & 30-06 rounds for some time now as I ran low on large rifle primers. I found no difference in performance, groups. So far, have not had a single miss-fire either. I can't answer for putting a large rifle in a pistol as we own no pistols that use large primers.

I don't think there is a primer shortage. I have been able to buy primers every time I've needed them. I also think the risk of this type of substitution is no greater than it has ever been, much like all the other risks associated with reloading. None issue. However, the results could be very bad depending.
you are either very lucky or have very few reloaders near you. Primers in my area have been near zero availability without paying double for a year now. Powder has also been very spotty.