Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!

With my back pack it had a strap that went from the two shoulder straps across your chest. It wasn't high enough for me so I had my wife sew another one higher-up and this made all the difference in the world. You may need to add a strap across the front like I had my wife make. Without one you can get into a position where one of the shoulder straps can slip off one of your shoulders. :)

joseph

Idaho Sawer I would personally pay heavy for one with a more rigid suspension system and another pocket on the outside for a few other items. I know a few guys over here that would also pay for these features. This would be an ideal setup for most of the hunting we do here in Nevada. Shoot me over a pm I am very interested in your ideas. gun)

Joseph
A sternum strap would be on every set of the backpack straps. It would be adjustable vertically to adapt to different peoples build.

Backcountryguide
I was thinking about putting MOLLE compatible straps on the outside of the scabbard so a fella could attach a small pack. BUT I am open to ideas!

So here is the deal with hip belts. If you do not have a rigid suspension system within the pack itself, there will be zero weight transfered to the hips. I am willing to look into a stay/suspension system that would essentially turn a scabbard into a internal frame pack. The down side is cost, the upside is that you can haul a HEAVY gun VERY VERY comfortably.I have been able to R&D and manufacture a lot of various packs over the years and that has been my experience, I can look into it an get back to you, but I am just being honest with you. :)
Not so true. I have 3 Nimrod fanny packs.They build stuff for fire fighters and had one of the first , back carry rifle systems.The back pack straps attach to fanny,as do the acc. like frame our gun carry and fanny is a large wide hip belt,and it does take weight.You can run metal stays in the meat duffle,but I dont pack them for room or weight.They have double buckles on shoulders for acc, like h20,gun carry or bow,meat duffle,alum pack frame. I use the Drings on front and hang my binocs on QD buckles.I have one system for bow and one for rifle as I prefer different carry and like pack ready to go.

Off topic, but . . .

Why is everyone set on packin' the rifle butt up?

I know I'm different. :) But a full 180*?:rolleyes:

The pic I posted slips into the pack but down with weight close to back and as low as possible. The draw sting on the pack seals it from snow/rain entry and the brake is covered w/a finger cut from a Nitrile glove.

Roy : you are not alone. Packed a rifle butt end up one whole long day - my first and last with that:)

"Finger cut from nitrile glove" - why didn't I think of that.

Not so true. I have 3 Nimrod fanny packs.They build stuff for fire fighters and had one of the first , back carry rifle systems.The back pack straps attach to fanny,as do the acc. like frame our gun carry and fanny is a large wide hip belt,and it does take weight.You can run metal stays in the meat duffle,but I dont pack them for room or weight.They have double buckles on shoulders for acc, like h20,gun carry or bow,meat duffle,alum pack frame. I use the Drings on front and hang my binocs on QD buckles.I have one system for bow and one for rifle as I prefer different carry and like pack ready to go.

Yes, there are packs out there that do not have stay systems. I have been fighting fires for the last 19 years and building packs for fighting fires for the last 12. I have worn a lot of them and built a lot of them. Packs without stays and good hipbelts will STABILIZE the pack BUT most of the weight will be transfered to the shoulder straps unless you have the hip belt cinched stupid tight. Packs with stays and good hipbelts will put the weight where it needs to be and do it comfortably. It is also a relationship between the hipbelt and the shoulder strap anchor point. Just my .02 cents:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.