Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!

Idaho Sawyer

I tried some name brand scabbards and although they were built well, they just didn't fit the EDGE. So I decided to put my sewing skills to use and build my own. It will easily fit the full set up. It is designed to be strapped on to the outside of your pack, which I found works best with the longer barrels. If there is enough interest I would consider finding a sewing shop to make a small run (I had time for 1, not 50 of them) so let me know what you think and if there is enough interest for a group buy. The barrel is 30" with a PK.
SAM_0483.jpg

SAM_0484.jpg

SAM_0485.jpg

I like it, but could you make it a little taller for more cover over the trigger / bolt area, and put a drawstring on the top with easy release mechanism

ya I could make them a little taller. I have an idea in my head for a neoprene dust/twig/moisture collar that would be smoother than drawstring closure

How much money do you have in that? I think you would sell a ton of those if you went into business. I would want one, or two... That is your million dollar idea.

I would have to add up the parts and pieces, labor would be the biggest factor. I made that one with padded side panels for extra protection and lots of strap attachment points for versatile rigging. everything is either double stitched or bar tacked for a lifetime of use. glad you like it.

you can see in the photos that the fastex buckles are "scabbed" on, with this one being the proto, some things I moved and adjusted. If I made a run of them, NOTHING would scabbed on and it would the upmost in quality and durabitliy.

Sawyer,

Very very nice!! You are a talented 'seamster'. :)

Well thought out and designed. It seems that we Idaho folks know what we want, can't find it in the stuff marketed to the masses and make the sucker our selves.

There's an outfit in Blackfoot, Dawn Enterprises, that provides work for the less employable type folks. They make stuff for the military, and individuals like yourselt. They've done a couple of projects for me which turned out very well.

All they need is a sample of what you want and they make it. They have about 20 sewing machines and a complete manufacturing staff.

Coupla questions:

What sewing machine are you using. BTW, did you know that some machines are now being called "stitch injectors"? WWT??:rolleyes:

I cobbled a scabbard up just prior to a woof scouting trip in a side by side UTV. It hung from the overhead frame. Designed to jump out grab the brake and yank it out. Then load and shoot. Figger'd bipods are useless in 5' of snow.

Attachments

• IMG_2580.JPG
    IMG_2580.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 99
Love it. I have a 300 RUM weight is 17 pounds with a 32 inch barrel on a Mcmillan A5 stock. Would like to see it deeper to cover rest of stock.

I use a Nimrod day pack a lot and would like to be able to attach to it. Another thought is to just have a pair of shoulder straps that could be attached to the scabbard so I could carry on its own like a small pack. Midway sniper drag bags have those.

Definitely interested in one. Keep us posted. I think you have come up with something. Good luck with it.

RoyinID, i love the ingenuity! the machine is a singer 212, The bar tacker is a Juki. Thanks for the info on that outfit in Blackfoot, I'll call them in the AM, my first thought was Bucks Bags in Boise, they do the same type deal.

Farout, Ya I have thought about the backpack straps, I have 2 of the sniper drag bags you are reffering to and I love that feature. that would be an easy addition to this scabbard.

I got in touch with Dawn Enterprises this AM and sent them some photos and specs. they seemed eager to be apart of the project, so the ball is rolling. Thanks RoyinID for the contact and I will keep you guys posted.

Off topic, but . . .

Why is everyone set on packin' the rifle butt up?

I know I'm different. :) But a full 180*?:rolleyes:

The pic I posted slips into the pack but down with weight close to back and as low as possible. The draw sting on the pack seals it from snow/rain entry and the brake is covered w/a finger cut from a Nitrile glove.

Idaho Sawyer,
I would be interested in a couple of those 1 for myself and one for my buddy.
Thanks, Rick

Removable backstraps would be the nuts.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.