Scabbard for big scopes, long barrels and bipods....check it out!

Joseph, You are gonna be hating life if you plan on using that pack like that with hikes any more than 1 mile... Even with a total weight of 30 lbs you're shoulders are gonna be shredded... Not sure if you're hunt is gonna be a backpack style or just long day hunts but it may be worth it for you to look into a used Kifaru or something of the like..Something with load lifters.. There's good deals to be had on used Kifaru packs (T1, T2, and the duplex's) now that they came out with the new bikini frame...

Also look into a Kifaru Gunbearer for hauling you're rifle...I bought one last year, money well spent..

To the OP, sorry to derail the thread just trying to save a guy some headaches.. You're scabbard's look good I wish I had the resources and skill to build some of my own gear..

Joseph, You are gonna be hating life if you plan on using that pack like that with hikes any more than 1 mile... Even with a total weight of 30 lbs you're shoulders are gonna be shredded... Not sure if you're hunt is gonna be a backpack style or just long day hunts but it may be worth it for you to look into a used Kifaru or something of the like..Something with load lifters.. There's good deals to be had on used Kifaru packs (T1, T2, and the duplex's) now that they came out with the new bikini frame...

Also look into a Kifaru Gunbearer for hauling you're rifle...I bought one last year, money well spent..

To the OP, sorry to derail the thread just trying to save a guy some headaches.. You're scabbard's look good I wish I had the resources and skill to build some of my own gear..

I don't pack both rifles at one time. I put both in plus 20 lbs. to walk up & down my street which is 1/4 mile long and at about a 35 degree angle. I would do that 4 times every day to get in shape for my Wyoming hunt. Should have seen the looks I got with 2 rifles sticking up out of my pack. :D:D:D:D

As for putting the barrel down I can bend over and reach over my shoulder and slide the rifle out without having to spin it around. My right hand grabs the pistol grip and is in position to put my finger in the trigger guard and be ready to shoot. I tried it with the barrel up and found it way out of balance and was harder to retrieve it out of the back pack. OH, by the way caring your rifle in the middle and against your back is very comfortable and helps to keep you balanced.

This pack is just like our Marines use and they are padded exactly where they should be. I never got tired because of the lack of comfort of the pack. I am 6' tall and weigh 235 and was 65 when I did all of this. OH, I did quit smoking 15 years earlier. :)

joseph

PS: Your whole torso supports the pack not just your shoulders. :D

Joseph,

Ya I can imagine the looks from the neighbors lol.....Not where I live but in the populated parts of CA you would have the swat team on ya..lol

Love it. I have a 300 RUM weight is 17 pounds with a 32 inch barrel on a Mcmillan A5 stock. Would like to see it deeper to cover rest of stock.

I use a Nimrod day pack a lot and would like to be able to attach to it. Another thought is to just have a pair of shoulder straps that could be attached to the scabbard so I could carry on its own like a small pack. Midway sniper drag bags have those.

Definitely interested in one. Keep us posted. I think you have come up with something. Good luck with it.
Does the Nimrod gun carry not work for you?.I have 3 Nimrod packs,but my LR is a packer and I prefer a safari sling, encase I need to liberate a grizzgun)

Alright, I think I am going to give this project a go. The first run will probably only be 25 of them, (hopefully I wont eat 24 of them!) I will post some pics in just a bit of the backpack straps attached to mine and will have that as an option. They will probably come in 1 color. I will crunch numbers today so I can post a $ amount and then will go from there.

Off topic, but . . .

Why is everyone set on packin' the rifle butt up?

Think of this scenario. You are packing your long range rifle with the barrel up and you slip and fall driving the barrel into the ground or into a rock. With the barrel pointing down it is protected from unforeseen problems. gun)- - - - - - - - - -

Think of this scenario. You are packing your long range rifle with the barrel up and you slip and fall driving the barrel into the ground or into a rock. With the barrel pointing down it is protected from unforeseen problems. gun)- - - - - - - - - -

I hear ya . . . I never fall forward. End up on my butt sliding down a shale slide or similar. :D

Here is the scabbard with backpack straps. Doing the math, the scabbards will probably run 80-90$ (camo or a solid color will dictate the price) and another 20-30$ if you want backpack straps, they will be removable if you want them on or off. I wont have any solid price numbers till everything is complete.

SAM_0492.jpg

SAM_0490.jpg

Count me in for one, if you add a belt strap on it to put most of the carry weight on the hips.

So here is the deal with hip belts. If you do not have a rigid suspension system within the pack itself, there will be zero weight transfered to the hips. I am willing to look into a stay/suspension system that would essentially turn a scabbard into a internal frame pack. The down side is cost, the upside is that you can haul a HEAVY gun VERY VERY comfortably.I have been able to R&D and manufacture a lot of various packs over the years and that has been my experience, I can look into it an get back to you, but I am just being honest with you. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.