Savage Ultralight vs Weatherby Hunter

TGR141

Looking for a lighter weight 280 AI, I don't like the feel of the Kimbers. I'm down to the Savage Ultralight vs Weatherby Hunter.

I got my hands on the Savage and was surprised that I liked the feel of it. I do know the concerns about the stock and noticed a little flex in the forearm when handling it. I wish it had a 24 inch barrel for the 280 though.

The Weatherby Hunter seems like another option, but I can't find one to handle anywhere. It does have the 24 inch barrel I wanted but some reviews I've seen were reports of not the best accuracy. Definitely not sub MOA. All reports on the Savage/proof accuracy have been great.

So I'm looking for opinions from guys on these 2 particular rifles in hopes to pull the trigger on one of them.

I don't need the weight savings of the Backcountry or Mountain Ascent, just looking for a 6 pound rifle to build up a rig on from there.

Thanks

Weatherby guarantees sub-moa from that rifle and every Weatherby I know of for the last 20yrs+ has shot far better than that. I had a Vanguard Series 1 and a MkV Ultralight in 300bee that were both sub .5 moa, a cousin has a new Vanguard first lite 300bee that is sub .25 moa, ex has a Series 2 Vanguard 300 that is sub .75 with anything she puts in it and a friend recently bought a .257 Accumark Ltd, that shoots sub moa out to 700yds - that's as far as she has shot it.

My buddy just got the ultralite and loves the feel, adjustability and proof barrel. I have worked on 3 of the ultralites so far all three 6.5 Creedmoor. They have all shot under 1/2 inch, one was .221. None of these rifles are mine just buddies who wanted help with their new rifles. I really like them, I would add a light weight bedding compound around the recoil lug and off you go.

As far as accuracy goes, they're both going to be so similar as they're both good guns. As far as longevity goes the weatherby will be worth more down the road as a savage is known for being cheap although their ultralight is a pretty nice rifle, it's still a savage. If it was me I would choose the weather be over a savage any day

I have a friend who bought the Ultralight in 6.5 PRC last summer and it'll shoot under 1/2 moa consistently. Bolt is a little draggy and sloppy but it sure can shoot.
I can't understand why they put 22" on the 280 AI though...his 6.5 PRC has a 24".

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Pretty much what I was thinking. Was hoping to get someone on here that has experience with the Weatherby Hunter.

FWIW, i will probably be selling a christensen ridgeline in 280ai in the near future. I tried to PM the original op but looks like he cannot receive pm's yet.

I have a Savage mod 16 lite in 6.5 and have no complaints. I am getting older and wanted something easy to carry. Put a 6/25 scope on it because eyes do not work as good as they used to. Shoots better than I can. Short barrel has not been a problem. I have shot deer and antelope out to 340 yards and hit where it was supposed to. I got the gun when BP bought Cabelas and was afraid of loosing points. Gun costed me points plus One cent.

As far as accuracy goes, they're both going to be so similar as they're both good guns. As far as longevity goes the weatherby will be worth more down the road as a savage is known for being cheap although their ultralight is a pretty nice rifle, it's still a savage. If it was me I would choose the weather be over a savage any day
^^^^^^^^x 1000!

The x 1000 comment comes from a fella that bought his first custom .460 left handed in 1976. Who now owns 5 Mark V's and bought 3 Vanguards 300 Weatherby mags for my sons. All are shooters.

I ordered a Weatherby Hunter in .280 AI 2 months ago and was told it will be several months before it arrived. I did see two accuracy reviews on the Hunter that was not impressive but they were using run of the mill ammo. I handload so I'm pretty confident I will find a load that will be close to .5"-.75 MOA for hunting. My other Weatherbys shot extremely well. The Hunter is light and has a thin 24" barrel which is what I want.

Yea. I'm leaning towards the Hunter because of the barrel and Weatherby reputation. Never thought I'd seriously consider a Weatherby not chambered in a 300 or 340 Weatherby, but they are putting out some very nice products these days. I also handload for all my hunting guns. Was just hoping to get a review from someone that handled it. Grice Guns has had them in stock, off and on past few months.

Last edited:
FWIW, i will probably be selling a christensen ridgeline in 280ai in the near future. I tried to PM the original op but looks like he cannot receive pm's yet.
I have a Christensen Mesa that I love. Wish they made it in 280 AI. I have handled a bunch of Ridgelines but in my opinion only, they seem to handle a little funky, kinda top heavy I guess.

I've heard good reports. How do you like it and how well does it shoot?

Recent Posts