Savage Bear Hunter vs Long Range Hunter

I just bought a 116 Bear Hunter in .300 Win Mag. I normally wait a few hundred rounds before posting my opinion of a rifle, but this one can't wait.

Awesome rifle. I have it shooting 1.35" groups at 200 yards. Hitting 12" steel at 1000 yards.

Follow the barrel break in procedure (if it's not too late), clean and properly torque EVERYTHING, proper marksmanship, proper ammunition, and you can't go wrong with the Bear Hunter.

99.9% of rifles are better than 99.9% of marksmen.

Just bought a Savage 116 Alaskan Brush gun in 375 Ruger & love it. I have a Savage 110 FCP with the HS Precision stock shipping now. Funny thing the muzzle velocity & energy at the muzzle are almost identical with 270 & 300gr bullets.

The extra 1" is worth maybe 30 fps. I would not change rifles for that.

Every bolt gun out there needs to be torqued into the stock correctly. Try more and then less and see if it matters. I have a Savage Weather Warrior in 375 Ruger and I guarantee it is free floated. The AccuStock has a full length aluminum block from tang to fore end tip and I crushed some plumber's putty balls in mine and it has 1/4" clearance around most of the barrel. I needed to know if I could stuff the strain gauge connector (for chamber pressure measurements) under the barrel for hunting. It has plenty of room.

If you scrub your barrel clean the first- cold bore- shot usually goes somewhat outside the group. I usually shoot about 3-5 rounds through a clean bore and dry patch the bore before putting the rifle away for a hunting trip. I try to do that not more than two days ahead though, even if I just dump the rounds into a dirt pile up close.

I would buy another Savage in a heart beat. They are not custom rifles but for off the rack grade they shoot great and the trigger is pretty good. In every comparison of like-caliber bolt guns from the different makers I have read in magazines over the last 15 years or so the Savage is usually the most accurate with factory ammo of the makers tested. They put out a good product made in the USA. They claim the fastest lock time of all and that can help your marksmanship.

My $0.02

KB

Hi guys i am looking to buy long range rifle with 300 wsm so wich is the best long range accurate rifle between those 3 rifles ? ( 12 VLP DBM ) or ( Model 70 Coyote Light ) or ( X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Carbon Fiber ) please i need a help or idea to make my mind on one thanks .

Hi guys i am looking to buy long range rifle with 300 wsm so wich is the best long range accurate rifle between those 3 rifles ? ( 12 VLP DBM ) or ( Model 70 Coyote Light ) or ( X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Carbon Fiber ) please i need a help or idea to make my mind on one thanks .

I have owed a VLP for the past 5 years. Couldn't be happier. Very accurate rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.