Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

oregonreloader, here are photos of what I've shot with it so far to this point, and these are all with the factor stock, out of the box, no mods except for mounting the scope.

May this photo works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 91
Oregon, what's the best course of action now that you've gone through the process of dealing with savage to correct this issue?

SDshot...I dunno', really.... If you're happy with the way it shoots, then 'live long and prosper'. If there are problems, call Savage and talk to their Customer Service folks. (You can find this number on their website.) Tell them what your problem is and ask them if they can solve it for you. My experience with the CS people has been very positive, even while I am not happy with the quality of the B.MAG product. (That may change after I get a chance to shoot it...later this month, hopefully.) If the problem(s) you are experiencing sound like it's something Savage can fix, they'll likely tell you that and send you a UPS "call tag" for shipping back to them. Keep a record of the S/N, when you sent it back and the UPS Tracking Number...just in case it gets lost....

Other companies will be making this caliber so I'm waiting, I'd like to see Sako and CZ get into the fold. Anschutz is making a target version already. That should bring on some more companies. Where's Ruger?

Here is one at 200 yards with a 4 mph cross wind. And both of the target photos I posted were shot just using shooting sticks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 95
oregonreloader, here are photos of what I've shot with it so far to this point, and these are all with the factor stock, out of the box, no mods except for mounting the scope.

MCH
If this type of accuracy is all that you expect or need from the BMag then you should be a satisfied customer. For most of us though, 2-2.5" groups at 100 yards is not acceptable. Having a 250 yard prairie dog gun does no good if your gun won't shoot minute-of-prairie dog. Every Savage rimfire I own, except this one, will group less than MOA.
The preview articles for the BMag told tales of 1/2" groups, so I was expecting better. I think the design of this gun is basicly flawed and should be scrapped. I think Savage should go back to the drawing board and come out with an inline clip-fed bolt action with a wood or solid-molded synthetic stock rifle that lives up to their usual standard. Then I think that the Bozos that put the BMag into production should be fired. They've done damage to the Savage reputation that may be irreparable.

MCH
If this type of accuracy is all that you expect or need from the BMag then you should be a satisfied customer. For most of us though, 2-2.5" groups at 100 yards is not acceptable. Having a 250 yard prairie dog gun does no good if your gun won't shoot minute-of-prairie dog. Every Savage rimfire I own, except this one, will group less than MOA.
The preview articles for the BMag told tales of 1/2" groups, so I was expecting better. I think the design of this gun is basicly flawed and should be scrapped. I think Savage should go back to the drawing board and come out with an inline clip-fed bolt action with a wood or solid-molded synthetic stock rifle that lives up to their usual standard. Then I think that the Bozos that put the BMag into production should be fired. They've done damage to the Savage reputation that may be irreparable.

I did think it would be better than I got here, my HMR does and thought the Bmag would be as good or better. I own other Savages and they shoot very well like 1/2" at 100 yards very easily. I think there could be ammo issues too with theses, as I have found a couple split case necks and possible head space issues due to the sides of most of the shot brass coming out with good amount of powder residue down to the. Ottom of the brass on most and some that can be found with residue even on the base of the brass where the firing pin would strike it, but not at that point where it actually struck the case. I have to go play with it more yet and see what it does with the new stock etc. Wanted to get out today, but I got doing other things today and it was still cold here, never got above 0F all day.

Just got my BMag and ordering the thumbhole laminated stock from boyds and putting the BSA 17 super mag scope 6-24x44 scope on it. Wondering if anyone has this set up or a similar set up with the boyds stock and how it is doing? Did it fix the problems that everyone has been having? Thanks

I have a boyds stock for my Bmag, and if your gun is a good shooter with the factory stock you should be fine. But if your looking for the Boyds stock to correct accuracy issues you will be disappointed. Most report no improvement except for for how the rifle looks. No accuracy improvement for me at all.

My B-mag saga: Picked one up at Cabelas in Billings, took it home and soon found that barrel was not free floating. Called and was told to send the stock, so sent it at my cost. I emailed 10 days later, and was told that it should have been shipped for free by Savage. Lady sent 2 mags to cover my shipping costs. Week later still did not have new stock, so emailed same person and she sent stock overnight. New stock was not free floating, so I took 1/2 copper pipe, wrapped in 80 grit paper and sanded high spots. Received another stock(?) via UPS, for some reason(it was not free floating). With my altered stock, I mounted a Vortex 6X18 and went to the range. 20 grain rounds had a six inch group at 50 yards, and 25 grain was about 3.5 inches. I had about 20% split cases, and noticed that many of the 20 grain brass cases had raised tab like areas on the case mouth. I called Savage and they had UPS pick it up the next day (with the second extra non-free floating stock installed). I called Winchester and they sent UPS the next day to pick up 20 grain spent brass and live ammo that was left.

I forgot to mention the trigger guard. The first time I put it back on, it almost broke, and was weakened substantially. I called Savage, and they sent a replacement(no charge) that was more sturdy.

ok after a month of games with boyds, I changed my stock to a tacticool. Man what an improvement.after some fussing to get the barrel mounted a dollar slips down to the acion awesome stock. Now my problem is the magazine keeps popping out.

Can someone please give me a tip to solve this. Boy this gun better be fun !!!!!!!!! thanks.
progress.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.