Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

Fairly Lengthy B.MAG Shooting Report

After a 3-month weather delay, I finally got around to shooting my B.MAG with both 20gn and 25gn ammo. A summary report is provided below and covers two range sessions. The first session was done using the B.MAG exactly as I received it from Savage. (Reading the threads above, you'll know that this was the 2nd B.MAG I'd had, maybe the 3rd, depending on how you count. The first B.MAG was replaced by Savage because it didn't group. The second one didn't group either and I had a lot of problems with it, so Savage took it back, said they'd fixed it and returned it to me in late December, so that might count as B.MAG #3.) I did add the Leupold Vari-X III I'd used before.

On Sunday, March 16, the weather had warmed sufficiently to warrant some accuracy testing with the B.MAG. The altitude at the range is about 4,000' and the temperature was about 55-deg F, with a 5-8mph quartering headwind wind from the left. I shot both the 25gn and the 20gn cartridges. After sighting it in, the 25gn gave me a 100-yd group size of about 2¼" and the 20gn gave a group size of about 2½" at the same distance. I tried chronographing the loads but my CED M2 couldn't see the bullets.

I still had the "gritty trigger", the "bolt falls out" and the "magazine hard to load" problems I've described previously. So I'm not sure what Savage did, other than replace the stock. But the real problem was that, while the replacement stock allowed the barrel to 'float' when I'd received it back from Savage in late December, the barrel did NOT float in March. Simply sitting upright in the corner, the stock must've cold-flowed back to contact the barrel. [This might explain why Savage maintains that it's a floating barrel (when they ship it) but when we buy it, it doesn't float. Maybe the composite stock hadn't fully cured when they assembled the rifle for shipping, and it cold flows to contact the barrel with time...?]

Problems, yes, but even worse, a good percentage of the 20gn ammo failed to extract. I had to use a cleaning rod jammed in from the muzzle to free the case from the chamber. The rifle was clean so I'm a bit mystified about why the failure-to-extract. The cartridges that failed to extract showed a 'larger-than-the-others' radius of curvature where the forward side of the rim joins the body of the cartridge. That might allow the extractor to simply ride up and over the rim without 'grabbing' it for extraction(?) I contacted Winchester and I've sent them some unfired rounds and two of the expended brass, all from the same box, for their assessment.

I needed to address the non-floating barrel issue, but I didn't want to whack away on the already-flimsy forend. So, last night (Saturday, 3/22) I inserted a screwdriver between the barrel and the forend to force the forend away from the barrel and used a 2000W heat gun and heated the forend region to 170-deg F and let it cool and removed the screwdriver. The barrel now floated.

Today, 3/23, I shot again. The temperature was in the mid-50s and the wind was about the same as last time (see above). Before shooting, I checked the forend-to-barrel clearance. Gads! It had decreased the clearance so that a dollar bill would just barely slip past the one hang-up it had before. Better than before, though, so I figured I'd go ahead and shoot. All the data described below was shot at 100-yds, with 8" targets.

I started with the 25gn ammo. For the first 5 shots, I let the barrel rest on the Lead Sled forend support pad--just to see what I'd get. What I got was about a 9" group. Terrible. Don't do that. I've got a photo of the group but I'll not post it unless someone wants to see it.

For the next five, I rested the forend on the Lead Sled forward pad. I got a good group of about 1½". I adjusted the elevation on the scope and fired 5 more rounds at the same target and got another 1½" group, as shown in the photo marked #2, below.

I then shot 5 shots at another 100-yd target, as shown in photo marked #3 below--another good group.

I then switched to the 20gn ammo and shot 5 rounds without adjusting the scope. The group was about 2½", as shown in the photo marked #4, below, and 2 of the five failed to extract.

To figure out whether it was the "indian or the arrow", I switched to my Savage 917V in .17HMR--a rifle that does a good job for me on ground squirrels. I used the Hornady 17gn ballistic tip ammo. I hadn't fired this rifle for nearly a year. The group I shot was just over 1½" and is shown in the photo marked #5, below. The flyer shown in the HMR photo was the first shot of the five and I attribute it to being the first shot and the trigger feel was distinctly different than the B.MAG's. Note also that for the B.MAG, I was using the 20x setting on the Leupold, but only 9x was available for the Simmons on the HMR. This might explain the somewhat larger group.

I conclude from these two shooting sessions that: 1) the 25gn ammo is more accurate than the 20gn (in my rifle, your mileage may differ), 2) relieving the pressure of the forend on the barrel improved accuracy, and 3) the 17HMR is still a good shooter. Not described above was that I was shooting the 3/23 data in a single-shot mode. I had tried to fix the 'hard-to-load" magazine and when I took it apart, I could never re-assemble it. Don't do that, either! (I've ordered two magazines from Savage.) And, I found, when the bolt is operated slowly, it does not fall out when ejecting a cartridge.

I was about to dump the B.MAG but today's session said to me, "...hummm...let's keep it for at least another session." I think the next effort will be to heat the forend just forward of the magazine bay--maybe to around 200deg--and attempt to open up the gap to completely float the barrel. And my gunsmith tells me he can probably smooth the trigger feel. Next weekend awaits, weather permitting. (But that 25gn ammo is very hard to get. 17HMR is plentiful.)

Attachments

• 17WSM25gn-b.jpg
    17WSM25gn-b.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 163
  • 17WSM25gn-d.jpg
    17WSM25gn-d.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 17WSM20gn-e.jpg
    17WSM20gn-e.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 113
I am new here with an old story, my first BMag would not cock when bolt was cycled, the gun was replaced. The second BMag the Accu trigger would not adjust and had 1/8 in. of creep, warped stock and would not kick spent cartridge out, it just dropped it on the next round. Every thing was fixed :) the stock still goes where you push it (side to side or free floating). Boyds will fix that, shoots 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" at 100 yards. I hope to improve that.

Has any one heard any thing about the BMag stainless steel bull barrel?

Jim

just got mine back from Savage....... NOT HAPPY! THIS IS AT 100 YARDS INDOORS FROM A LED-SLED REST......... GUN SUCKS!

Attachments

• 20140331_084849-1.jpg
    20140331_084849-1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 157
  • 20140331_084849.jpg
    20140331_084849.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 140
OregonReloader-

Thanks for your detailed post. I have some quick feedback for you on your attempts to free-float the factory stock.

Typically, inexpensive plastic rifle stocks are made from reinforced polypropylene. Without getting into the science of plastics, it is a crystalline material and somewhat prone to warp (depending on how it is tooled and what type of reinforcement is used). It is also prone to having issues with "molded in stress".

Basically, that means a part can come out of the mold in a certain geometry, but the stress from how it was shot and cooled means it I has internal stresses trying to pull it out of that shape. The only thing holding it in place is the strength of the polypropylene material itself. When the part (in this case stock) gets warm due to increased ambient temperature or sunload, the polypropylene begins to soften just a bit and that nasty "molded in stress" shows itself.

My guess would be that the BMag stock has been poorly designed for manufacture, and has issues with molded in stress. When you heat it up, physically alter it, and let it cool in the correct shape this is probably a temporary fix. Unless you really wrench on it to break some of the crystalline domains in the material, the next time the stock heats up it will likely go right back to its stress free - and non floating - shape.

Good luck

Brandon

If I were going to buy a BMag right now, I'd go with the stainless heavy barrel model. We know the original thin barrel gun does not shoot accurately whether floated or not. Maybe the heavy barrel will shoot better.

I'm not sure if the gun is really stainless or not. It looks more like an electroless nickel plating.

Made it back the range to finish up my latest test, interesting results. My gun shoots good just doesn't shoot good groups..The center group was actually shot on 3 separate days, the circled shots are the first shots fired each of the 3 days. Ironically there is some consistency to the other shots as well as the barrel heats up. the 2 shots 2 the left of the 3 actually came at the end of the first magazine fired the rest, well too random to be useful. today I also added a limbsaver to the barrel ( whats another $10.00 into this rifle) the right group shows the results the circled shots are cold bore with at least 5 minutes between firing the low shots are 2nds and 3rds. the group on the left was fired with my marlin 17hmr open bolt close bolt find target fire, repeat...After the range I decided to drive up to a spot that we shoot gophers. I only saw 3 its still a bit cold but the wsm made a mess of the first one at about 75 yards and when his friend stood up I went for the quick 2fer and low and behold missed the 2nd shot. waited another 10 minutes and the 3rd one got up at about 125 and bang dead gopher. I dont know what to make of all this. I think I am sending it back to Savage, my extractor is starting to fail to extract and my rear action screw is stripped out. On a side note I spoke with a new dealer in a nearby town he has sold 5 and owns 1 bmag and claims 1 inch groups at 100 all day, also stating none of his customers have anything bad to say about theirs. All this makes me wonder what is the total production so far and units sold. do most people not care if a rim fire shoots 3" groups. or are there good ones out there. He did have a savage long range hunter 6.5x284 with dies and 2 boxes of nosler ammo for $650 (used but not much) might have to go back and buy it I hope its gone when I get there...

Attachments

• 20140401_192729.jpg
    20140401_192729.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 142
HntWhtTail...

I share your angst. Regarding the testimonials from the "my B.MAG won't shoot a group" crowd and the "my B.MAG shoots 1" groups all day long" folk, I think the source of the problem rests solely in the parts fabrication and assembly of the rifle at Savage. If the parts are spec'd for low cost (which, apparently they are) and if the assembly is geared for maximum output at minimum cost, then "quality" suffers. Not every rifle will be bad, but the variability in the production processes will allow more of the bad rifles through than if tight quality controls were applied at every stage of the production. Consider a Mercedes versus a Kia. There are probably lots of good Kias around and some bad Mercedes, but the likelihood of finding a bad Kia is much greater than finding a bad Mercedes. So we suffer and complain, looking for solutions....

Up until today, I had the potential opportunity to ask Savage to take my rifle back and refund my money. But as of today, I own it. I'd tried lots of ways to "float" the barrel as it is supposed to do without any visible mechanical mods, without success. Today I took a Dremel tool to the keel and ribs of the stock. I didn't have to do a lot of work to get it to float...there were just a few high spots, but they were significant. Now, I have at least 0.022" to 0.028" between the forend and the breech end of the barrel. I know that precisely because a two strips formed from a McDonald's French Fry container mic'd at 0.011" each and a sheet of copy paper mic'd at 0.006". Putting the two McD's strips together (o.022"), everything clears over the whole length. Adding the strip of copy paper just "barely" clears over all the previous high spots.

So, now...if only the stock will hold that clearance and if the weather ever turns good again, I'l give it another try.

well i did a little work to my stock to beef it up. Last chance ditch effort before buying a Boyd's stock..... i filled the whole front of the stock with epoxy and then remounted the barrel and shimmed it straight. Is has full float and now the stock is 5x stronger and more ridged then stock! gonna go shoot it this weekend and show you all the results. heres a pic of the stock after if did the epoxy work.

Attachments

• 20140402_212940.jpg
    20140402_212940.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 129
Just got back from the range with a friend and his brand new Savage 17 WSM. What a disappointment ! I own high end Savage mod 12 in 243 and can't be happier, so why did Savage go down this dirt road. It is a 50 yard gun at best because the plastic stock that doesn't fit at all and very poor workmanship. They need to remove this gun ASAP from their line and refund the people that bought one.

Last weekend I tried shooting the modified B.MAG. The forearm remained away from the barrel after I'd modified it with a Dremel tool the week before. I shot only the 25gn ammo, as I'd had such poor experience with the 20gn ammo failing to extract.

After the last shoot, I delayed cleaning the rifle. I cleaned it just before last weekend's sortie. I was surprised at the amount of gunk that was removed and by how many solvent-soaked patches and bronze brushes I had to run through it to get the patches to come out mostly clean. I'm thinking that if the chamber got all gummed up, that might a reason for the failures to extract. But then again, the 25gn rounds extracted well. But then after the cleaning, I thought again that if the B.MAG requires a thorough cleaning after every 10-20 rounds, it's not a very useful field gun.

The groups I shot last weekend were about the same, or a little worse than the ones I showed in the photos in my post of a couple of weeks ago. So new photos wouldn't reveal much. I'm kind of kicking myself now, though, because it wasn't a true comparison. In my previous shooting, I'd used a Lead Sled rest. This last shoot, I used a Harris bipod with a bag for the butt support. The geometry was such that I couldn't get a natural grip on the stock and trigger because of the bag. Really kinda' dumb thing to do if I was looking to compare apples-with-apples.

I'm going to give the B.MAG one more try. My friend, who is a 1,000yd black powder competition shooter (45-90 & 45-120), has volunteered to shoot it. I'll let him shoot 5 at 100yds then I'll shoot 5, then we'll repeat the sequence to see if it's me or the rifle. I hope it's me that is limiting the accuracy because practice than help to improve that.

On a ground squirrel hunt in Klamath Falls last year, I was quite happy with my shooting using a Marlin .17HMR. So I'll also shoot my Marlin and let my friend shoot it as well. If the B.MAG can shoot as well as the HMR, then I'll use it for my Klamath Falls hunt next month.

I've spent more time trying to 'tune' this B.MAG than I have for any other rifle I've owned. It's just about time to say, "enough!" If the B.MAG doesn't meet or exceed the HMR's accuracy, it's going to get listed for sale in my local paper. I've got lots of 25gn ammo, so that might induce a buyer.

I tried cleaning after every shot and could still do no better than 6" groups at 100 yds. I also tried shims to float the barrel with no improvement. Someone on some forum suggested rubber O-rings to modulate the barrel harmonics. I had no luck with that either. Finally about 4 weeks ago I sent the rifle back to Savage and have not heard from them as of yet.

Hey guys new to this forum but have been trying to make my B-Mag live up to the early hype for 3 months.Gettin eratic 3-5 inch groups with both 20 and 25 gr loads.Bought Boyds stock hoping that was the problem but had same results;beginning to think its a receiver bedding problem.Just sent email to Savage but have little hope they can help.Think maybe they rushed out a bad design and now regret it.Has anyone gotten back a gun from them that was any better? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.