Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

gsperaz- I too had improved accuracy with the rubber at the forend but with the very cold temps here it was a bit deceiving. the rubber was very hard when first shots fired then as barrel warmed up so did the rubber and then point of impact changed, not sure if I allready said this but my next attempt is a full bed of the barrel.has worked very good on 10/22's gs what do you use as release agent with your jbweld bedding.

I'm both impressed and grateful for the work you guys are putting in regarding the accuracy issue. So, thank you.

When the weather gets better around here (Central Oregon) I'll try to contribute a bit to the knowledge database. Given further experimentation and posting what we tried and what we found, we should be able to find a consistent way to maximize the accuracy of this round.

gsperaz- I too had improved accuracy with the rubber at the forend but with the very cold temps here it was a bit deceiving. the rubber was very hard when first shots fired then as barrel warmed up so did the rubber and then point of impact changed, not sure if I allready said this but my next attempt is a full bed of the barrel.has worked very good on 10/22's gs what do you use as release agent with your jbweld bedding.
I just use grease, hoppes gun grease is what I have on hand. Your right it is still an unknown on what the effects of summer weather will do to the rubber. Let us know how the full bedding works out.

Just received a phone call from Winchester. I had sent them an email asking about the velocity differences I recorded when testing ammo and they want to test the last box I have from that lot. At least they are trying..I just got some more ammo in the mail and it is from a different lot. I will try and shoot it over the chronograph and see if I get better results.

HWT...what cartridge (20gn or 25gn) and what were the velocity numbers you were getting that caused you to call Winchester? Some data would be useful--before and after, if you have the data. And the lot number of the ammo, too. Also...what model chronograph?

For All: We've started getting quite a few comments relating to the B.MAG and we're now beginning to see different configurations, such as free-floating barrel, not-free-floating barrel, was floating but modified to be free-floating, third-party mfg stocks, 20gn and 25gn, etc. It would be useful if when we post we specify what configuration and what ammo we're talking about. It's extra boilerplate to what you were trying to say succinctly, but it does clarify what you are writing about. This will become more useful as more posters provide us with information.

I scored a case of 25gn ammo so I'll be able to shoot that as soon as the snow clears and it warms up a bit. I'll post results comparing 20gn and 25gn data when I next get to go to the range.

Sorry I thought it was this thread that I all ready gave the info on my chrony results I shot a full box of 20gr. over my magnetto speed. and got a max spread of 150 fps. Lot number was 1gg32, Note that magnetto speed does not recommend there chrony for 17 cal I did shoot some through my pro chrony as well comparing speeds and they were on par with my other tests of the magnetto speed. The new bunch of ammo I got is lot number 2gm51. I did not chrony these yet but did get to the range yesterday to try new fully bedded barrel. I am attaching a pic of some 50 yard groups target is on a 4x6 label forgot to change printers kinda like it take it to the back stop peel the back and stick it....

range notes: (from left to right)
dirty barrel 100+ rounds cold bore 35 degrees wind 5-10 mph from 7 oclock

shot result
1 high and right
2 high center
3 low .5 right
4 same
5 same
6 low left (probably me)
7 just right
8 right in there
------------------------------------
clean barrel bore snake cold 10 minute wait wind now gusting 5-20 mph hard to get a clean shot adjust scope .5 left, .5 up ...
shot result
1 high center
2 high left
3 high
4 high a little right
5 low could be me
6 high took for ever to get shot off
7 a little high right
8 in the group high
-------------------------------------
wind still gusting it feels colder now wait 10 plus miutes adjust scope down 1"
shot result
1 high 1.25 center
2 center
3 high
4 high a little right
5 low
6 low
7 low
8 low

I getting .5" groups if you throw out 3 of the shots lol the gun seems to get more accurate as the barrel warms up. my next test (hopefully on a better day) is going to be single cold bore shots at 100 maybe even a 5 shot target with each shot at its respective place shot 1 1st spot, 2 2nd, 3 3rd etc.

Attachments

• 20140214_171255.jpg
    20140214_171255.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 100
GS my initial tests showed better accuracy with the 20's vs the 25's I sold all my 25's to buy more 20's. now I wish i had them to try. I think I have 10 left will try them next time out.

I think its safe to say its consistently, inconsistent. I don't know much, but I don't recall any gun generating so much cofusion and problems for shooters. I guess the only good thing about this gun is maybe the trigger.

I also have a B-mag and I just found some 25 grain ammo to shoot after looking for 6 months. After reading all of these posts I realize my excitement for this gun is diminishing. I hoped to pick off a few dogs here in South Dakota this spring but after trying to slide a dollar around the barrel up the forearm it bound up at the "hump point". I plan on contacting savage for a replacement stock but I am curious about something. Can anyone tell me if savage covers the cost to replace the stock and what if any costs should I expect to get the hump in the stock issue fixed?

SDshot,

In my case, involving three shipments to Savage and two from them, they've not charged me for anything. My only cost has been the time and emotional energy in trying to 'get it right'. This last shipment from them included the same serial number action, but with the re-designed stock. (There is no outward appearance difference between the old and new, just the free-floating dollar bill now.)

The weather has been too cold and ugly since before Christmas to go to the range. Hopefully that will change later this month. I'll try out the 25gn cartridges then, and compare my results with those I get shooting 20gn.

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I purchased a new B-Mag on the 24th of December. I've not had any problems with it grouping the 20 grain rounds. I can post photos of what it has done, my stock too was something that I thing was made by Rubbermaid, and this weekend I put the stock on from Boyd's that came on Friday. I also lapped my scope rings on it too. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.