rings for Savage 93 17 HMR

trueblue

Just got a Savage Model 93R17HMR and the weaver bases that came with it seem smaller than normal, as my quick detach Leupold rings are to big and won't tighten down on the base. What rings are you guys using on these rimfires ?
Also, need to think about a scope for it without breaking the bank. Any suggestions, and does a rimfire have more abuse on a scope than a rifle ?

I have tried Leupold , Burris Zee rings, and neither one will tighten down on the weaver bases that come with the Savage. The weaver bases measure
narrower than weaver bases on other rifles. Don't know if Savage supplies different bases on these 17 HMR's because the action is not as big as there bolt action rifles.

I have a 93 in 22Mag and Burris Zee rings worked great--but please remember to take off the bases and clean off all of Savage's OIL before going to the trouble of mounting the scope. Mine and another were just soaking in oil under the bases and I know how that can cause problems. Wash all the screws and bases in alcohol and wipe the inside of the rings and the scope tube, too. If all else fails, see if Weaver sells new bases and buy another set.
You'll love the gun. My longest pdog kill was 229 meters last Summer.

that rifle is the scope combo right? i have the 93 .22 mag variant i have a question what is the diameter of the scope that was on it to begin with and what is the diameter if your leupold i dont mean the objective lens diameter i mean the tube diameter because if you go from a 30mm tube to a 45mm tube i think that you wont be able to tighten the mounts as far because of the diameter. this could be completely wrong so dont take this as truth but it makes sense in my head but i might have drain bamage :D i love my simmons that came on my gun, id think that a rimfire is alot easier on the scope cuz of less recoil makes sense right?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.