Savage 112 Action

C.O. Shooter

For anyone that uses a Savage 112 Action, how are these? Would it be a good action to build off? My previous search indicated some were real shooters! This is an older model, I think they stopped making in 2005.

112 action is the same as all the other long actions. They just came with a heavier barrel. It's even the same action as the long Stevens 200 actions.

Of all my actions my 112 is the smoothest. Not because it started out better, but because I have shot it the most. They smooth up with use.

early 112 actions were single shot chrome moly steel. A couple years later they came out with a magazine version. I've had the single shot C/M version, and still have a magazine version. Both guns are (or were) very accurate.
gary

before you make the plunge into a 112 action, you need to know exactly what you are getting and what you can and cannot do with it. There are three different 112 actions as well as the material used in it. Sharp Shooter Supply has the drawings on line to determine which one you have.

* SSS sells a good trigger assembly for the 112, and it's easy to install. I used the Rifle Basix, and it works very well.

* Looking at the action, is it parkerized or blued? Single shot? (probably not due to the 7mm configuration) If it's Parkerized it will need truing for sure, and maybe so if it's a blued action.

* they sell after market bolt heads for the action, and this allows you to chamber it for just about any common cartridge. The action really benifits from a speedlock kit

** now the downside. The action is fairly heavy, and will flex a little. Scope mounts are a hassel, and plan on using a longer scope. I recommend using a rail mount that's dowl pinned to the reciever top (really stiffens things up). Also check the threaded holes on the reciever to see that they match up with your mounts (there was an issue with very old actions). I like the Farrell bases
gary

before you make the plunge into a 112 action, you need to know exactly what you are getting and what you can and cannot do with it. There are three different 112 actions as well as the material used in it. Sharp Shooter Supply has the drawings on line to determine which one you have.

* SSS sells a good trigger assembly for the 112, and it's easy to install. I used the Rifle Basix, and it works very well.

* Looking at the action, is it parkerized or blued? Single shot? (probably not due to the 7mm configuration) If it's Parkerized it will need truing for sure, and maybe so if it's a blued action.

* they sell after market bolt heads for the action, and this allows you to chamber it for just about any common cartridge. The action really benifits from a speedlock kit

** now the downside. The action is fairly heavy, and will flex a little. Scope mounts are a hassel, and plan on using a longer scope. I recommend using a rail mount that's dowl pinned to the reciever top (really stiffens things up). Also check the threaded holes on the reciever to see that they match up with your mounts (there was an issue with very old actions). I like the Farrell bases
gary

Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.