Savage 112 Magnum .338 Lapua Action??

NEMTHunter

Howdy,

Some quick questions. WARNING!! It can and will lead to more!

How many out there have used the Savage 112 Magnum .338 Lapua action? My main question is. What do you think of the action? How well built is it? Is it worth building a LR hunting/Target ( main concern is hunting but targets are fun) rig out of. I keep finding them for a good price and am thinking about picking up one for the action. One reason I like it is because it does not have a mag opening plus the top of the action is not open. Seems to me it would be a good stiff action for hanging a long heavy barrel off of with out the action flexing. What do you all think? Another benefit is the ability for me to change out the barrels without having to take it to a smith.

If anyone has used that action what did you use for a stock? Or did you keep it factory. Not sure I would care for the factory stock for a hunting application. Seems like it could be a little bulky with extra weight that is not needed.

How good is the trigger? They say it can be adjusted from 6oz to 2.5 pounds. Is it crisp?

Maybe the savage is viewed as to cheap to be long range gun?

Thanks for your help!

David

I think the 112 magnum target is a great action to build from. That's the main reason I bought it.
I haven't found a aftermarket stock yet.

I think the 112 magnum target is a great action to build from. That's the main reason I bought it.
I haven't found a aftermarket stock yet.

Thanks for the information. What did you build off of that action?

I was afraid a light weight stock would be hard to find. Might have to take the factory stock and reshape it to a slimmer profile. Be lighter for packing around hunting.

I've been looking at this same rifle.... i want a 338 LM ....lol ....it's stated weight is 12#, for me that's fine I'll mostly target shot it. I love the trigger in my other savage rifle but it's a short action build....
My question(s) is its a single shot rifle, not an issue since i don't think I'll be doing any rapid follow-up drills with it..:rolleyes:.... ok seriously, can you convert it to a detachable mag bottom metal with or without having to cut a feed ramp into action or making some other mod to make it a repeater? I don't know, yes I'm an idiot :( lol
I've been looking for a 338 LM I don't want to drop a ton of money to get one since I won't get to shoot it alot, it would just sweeten the pot ....if not I'll just keep looking....thanks for letting me pipe in.

I've been looking at this same rifle.... i want a 338 LM ....lol ....it's stated weight is 12#, for me that's fine I'll mostly target shot it. I love the trigger in my other savage rifle but it's a short action build....
My question(s) is its a single shot rifle, not an issue since i don't think I'll be doing any rapid follow-up drills with it..:rolleyes:.... ok seriously, can you convert it to a detachable mag bottom metal with or without having to cut a feed ramp into action or making some other mod to make it a repeater? I don't know, yes I'm an idiot :( lol
I've been looking for a 338 LM I don't want to drop a ton of money to get one since I won't get to shoot it alot, it would just sweeten the pot ....if not I'll just keep looking....thanks for letting me pipe in.
I would get the Savage Long Range Hunter Lapua. Already setup the way you want. You really cannot convert the target action to a magazine feed.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LONGRANGEHUNTER

Yes thanks...I've been bouncing them all around I saw a sale on the 112 for under 900 and almost bit but with the 110 or 111 I can see your point... I was hung on the single shot and was unsure about converting it later.

You can't convert to a mag fed. It's a three screw single shot action that is specific to the 338 Lapua cartridges. The reason I believe this is no 112 stock will fit this action except the 112 magnum target stock.
I haven't built mine into anything yet, because my barrel only has 200 round thru it. But it will be either a 300 Norma or 375-338 Lapua improved.

I do know it's factory blueprinted and the target trigger is much better than the standard accu trigger.

Thank you all for the reply's! Its been great. I have never owned a Savage and was not 100% sure what to expect. Sounds like they have not been on the market long enough to have a lot of aftermarket support.

gohring3006 Sounds like a couple of fun cartridges. If you are willing to change the barrels out you can have both. ;) Another thing that interests me about the savage. You could have multiple cartridges off the same base. Just change out the barrel and re-zero the scope and you are good to go.

I have had 3 or 4 of the 112 target magnums. Used the actions for everything from a 6mm BR to a 338 lapua AI. I really like these actions. I sold all but 2 of the builds I did off them and wish that I hadn't. I use the stock stock. It is a solid stock and functions well. Could be better, but still very solid.

Andnrewsben ?? , for example can you take the bolthead off of a standard long action savage 110 300 win and install it on the lapua bolt and headspace up any large shank .532 bolt face chambering or do you have to buy a custom bolthead that is longer in length since the 338 lapua bolt head is longer than the rest ?

thank you , I have been wondering about this for a while now I thought it worked although I didn't think about the firing pin

I started out not liking savages about 30 yrs ago when my brothers new one failed to fire and the biggest bull he would ever see walked away. ( bad firing pin spring)
I bought a 112 trgt last summer on sale. first load I tried with r26/285 ELDM/ Lapua brass shot great. Also have 2 model 12 fv 223, 6.5 Creed.
they are a great shooting gun for the money.

Recent Posts