Savage Magnum 112

toddc

Well I did 2 things never thought I would do the last day of 2016.
I bought a new gun. As in I expected to actually shoot it without completely building it first. I buy cheap Savages in pawnshops and then screw on real barrels, put them in a real stock and spend about 20 hrs getting them how I like. I haven't bought and shot a STOCK rig in 20+ yrs. Haven't shot a stock barrel in 20+ yrs. Well now I have!
I also bought a 338 Lapua. I have run 338-378, 338-416, 340 Weatherby and lately the Edge. Never thought I would buy a Lapua due to the supporter issue AND brass cost. Well guess what? BRASS for any RUM based rig is now more $$$ per shot and WAAAAAAY harder to find than Lapua brass. Oh and RP brass, Nosler and even Norma SUCKS compared to Lapua.

It was hard for me to buy this rig. What can I do to improve it? IDK. Probably nothing except another barrel when I burn this one to cinders. I will tear it down and bed it, see if the action, bolt, lugs or nut needs work but I'm pretty sure from looking at the surfaces that they wont. Someone built this thing really well.

The trigger is within a very small step of a Jewell, yeah I know BLASPHEMY. Of course I can buy another one of these for the price of 3 installed Jewells so there is that.:)

Bought 100 pieces of brass (weighed 20 and got tired of looking at the same number on the scale). More fun to sort RP brass into 13 different lots.

Loaded H1000 from 88 to 92 in .5gr increments into virgin brass (No prep, have you seen this stuff lol). Pretty close to my Edge loads.

92gr ran 2820 with zero pressure at 50 degrees.

All 50 shots went into 1.25" while I was learning the gun and the 6 oz trigger. It's a tad harder to shoot than my usual 40lb 338 so I'm OK with that with a 4gr powder spread, no break in and 20 mph wind.

Gun is very well put together for a $1000 rig.

I would say this is the most LRH effective rig ever produced for this kind of money. I have been hesitant of the Lapua on a Savage platform and yet now I wish I had done this 2 Edges ago. I couldn't build this much gun for $1k with a $500 head start.

If you have thought of wanting a 338 and shied away due to cost, this is your rig. I won't spend $3k on a gun. I used to drag race and rich guys would write big checks for fast cars and then have to pay someone to drive them. It isn't what you spend, it's what you can do with it that matters.

Of all of the guns on the market, in all of the many different niches out there, I really believe this rig is the most bang for the buck that I have EVER seen.

If you have been dreaming of running 300gr pills past 2750 but haven't robbed a bank lately, go buy one of these and go have some fun and kill some stuff. Make 2017 the YEAR OF THE LAPUA and never look back!

Happy New years and hope everyone had as great of a 1st day as I did. I haven't been impressed by a stock rig in over 30 yrs and never thought I would be, just glad I was the one who bought one and not the guy at the next bench over.

I picked one up as well.
I did a barrel "break in" just because...
Waiting on the bedding to cure as I type this..
300 grain Berger and H1000 is where I'm at..

I picked one up as well.
I did a barrel "break in" just because...
Waiting on the bedding to cure as I type this..
300 grain Berger and H1000 is where I'm at..

All of the machine work on these looks like a totally different ball of wax than an average Savage. I have torn apart 100s of Savages and this thing came from a different line for darn sure. Can't wait for tomorrow I'm going to tear it to pieces and check all mating surfaces etc and bed it. I knew the action would be nice as I have built on the 3 screw action before but they appear to have spent a lot of time on these things. Heck of a rig for me. Probably fixing to build a 7mm on another and maybe a 30. A 375 can't be far behind and then I can burn 4 barrels to cinders while I work on those.:)

All of the machine work on these looks like a totally different ball of wax than an average Savage. I have torn apart 100s of Savages and this thing came from a different line for darn sure. Can't wait for tomorrow I'm going to tear it to pieces and check all mating surfaces etc and bed it. I knew the action would be nice as I have built on the 3 screw action before but they appear to have spent a lot of time on these things. Heck of a rig for me. Probably fixing to build a 7mm on another and maybe a 30. A 375 can't be far behind and then I can burn 4 barrels to cinders while I work on those.:)

I agree, this thing gives me a Lapua boltface to really get crazy when it's time to rebarrel.

I agree, this thing gives me a Lapua boltface to really get crazy when it's time to rebarrel.

Until I really looked at one closely LAPUA+SAVAGE=SCARED.

I would like to see more meat around the case head but honestly if you have a failure there (Lapua web failure?) it's either gonna cut thru it or not even if it was a little beefier.

Yeah us poor folk can build some nasty stuff for cheap off of this thing. Like maybe even 150gr+ H2O capacity if your life insurance is up to the task.:)

I'm not advocating any Cheytac level insanity here but definitely makes me wonder just how far a man could push his luck. I'm gonna be on the web tonight seeing what the longest case I can find is and looking at some numbers. Of course I was always the idiot building fast Fords back in the day so we will see.

I will probably sober up and call it good just running a Lapua on the lowly Savage action......but ya never know do ya? I never thought I would actually have my head near a Lapua sized rim in a Savage action when it went off so I might surprise myself.

Yea the good thing is, these and the 110 BA has been out for a while and I haven't herd any bad reviews as far as bolt and action failure.
That's even with all the junk/soft brass out there.
What base did you go with?

Keep us posted!

I'm really trying to behave myself ... and it's pretty dang hard. :)

Cheers!

Ed
It's a great price... And as Toddc said, it's a very well built rifle.. I just pulled mine apart after bedding it last night. Heww!!! It came apart!!!. Bedding looks good!!
:)

Yea the good thing is, these and the 110 BA has been out for a while and I haven't herd any bad reviews as far as bolt and action failure.
That's even with all the junk/soft brass out there.
What base did you go with?

I went with a Warne 2 piece FOR TODAY but I bought a Blackhawk 20 MOA. Just need screws for it. I found some 8-40 screws in some old rings and am going to hog out the Blackhawk base and cut the screws to fit.
The base is the only quirk with this gun but I'm happy that they went 8-40, wish all makers would go 8-40 across the board.

I went with a Warne 2 piece FOR TODAY but I bought a Blackhawk 20 MOA. Just need screws for it. I found some 8-40 screws in some old rings and am going to hog out the Blackhawk base and cut the screws to fit.
The base is the only quirk with this gun but I'm happy that they went 8-40, wish all makers would go 8-40 across the board.

I went with the Leupold mark 4 20 Moa base. It comes with 6-40 and 8-40 screws.
It's a very nice steel base. I was using the Burris two piece bases at first.
As you know, the front screw hole is shallow. Be prepared to cut it shorter.

I know, my LGS has one on the counter and it's been calling my name every time I visit. :cool:

I know you are a barrel nut as well, I am EXTREMELY PROUD of my ability to build a sub .5 MOA Savage off of a pawnshop action EVERY TIME.

However this thing has been built extremely well. I can't believe this but other than bedding I don't think I will touch it. No lapping, no NOTHING.

Incredible quality at any price point and I handled 4 of them and they all looked great. Look at the bolt lugs finish on these compared to ANY other non custom out there and you tell me. Definitely not MASS PRODUCED.

I'm a Savage supporter but only as a basis to build off of. I NEVER thought I would be shooting a STOCK rig. EVER.

I waited a couple of years as I had an Edge but I wish I had done this 2 yrs ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.