savage 112 300 rum

biff's reloading

I've been looking for a walking rifle in rum a while, and this one popped up on armslist so I jumped on it. Crappy Simmons 2.5-10 scope, but I can put it on the slug gun. Overall, for less than half the price of a used sendero, I'm really happy with it. Stainless with a muzzle brake u can twist shut. Trigger is really really crisp, and everything seems well fitted. The plastic stock is ugly, but it doesn't touch steel, and at least has nice contour unlike the old savages. I've looked online for opinions and info, and I find very very little about them. Are these things a rare bird? I'm not looking to build it, I have another rifle for the long stuff. I'm just curious if anyone has any info on it, or even what the 112 is meant for? Did I buy some limited production thing? Are there parts out there for it? Is there anything special I should do with the stainless barrel? Thanks for any info

I think you can do a serial # search on Savage's web site. But I know you can call and they will tell you. Sounds like a rebarrel though.

I've been looking for a walking rifle in rum a while, and this one popped up on armslist so I jumped on it. Crappy Simmons 2.5-10 scope, but I can put it on the slug gun. Overall, for less than half the price of a used sendero, I'm really happy with it. Stainless with a muzzle brake u can twist shut. Trigger is really really crisp, and everything seems well fitted. The plastic stock is ugly, but it doesn't touch steel, and at least has nice contour unlike the old savages. I've looked online for opinions and info, and I find very very little about them. Are these things a rare bird? I'm not looking to build it, I have another rifle for the long stuff. I'm just curious if anyone has any info on it, or even what the 112 is meant for? Did I buy some limited production thing? Are there parts out there for it? Is there anything special I should do with the stainless barrel? Thanks for any info

the 112 action can be lumped into three or four basic configurations. There was the old one that was mostly sold as a single shot. They did sell it with a magazine for awhile. These all came with wood stocks that look like they were made of birch or a light colored walnut. They were not checkered, but had a stippling applied to the grip area. The metal looked to be Parkerized, and was a very dull looking matte finish. After that, you enter into a more modern era. They made them for a couple years with a blued receiver and later a stainless steel barrel that was fluted. Then they came out with a stainless steel receiver. None of the rifles have the later Accu Trigger. There is a small difference in the bolts, and I have seen a small difference in the scope bases (did they make a few with the screw holes misaligned I don't know for sure) . There's also two different spans in the bedding screws for the action. One is often refered to as the "J" action. Otherwise they are pretty much the same. There also was a mid length J action, but can't remember ever seeing any. Most all 112's have the 1.055"-20tpi barrel thread, but there are a few that have the bigger thread. Because the rifle has the synthetic stock, it is one of the later issues. If it is pillar bedded, it is even later. After that we also see the Accu Trigger.

gary

Thanks for the input! I spoke with customer service at savage today. She said it was a special run for a single distributor out west. Model 112FSAK. mine is F888723. Stainless bolt, barrel and nut, muzzle brake, blued action. This run was produced in 2000-2001 and not many were made. They were never "in production", and there is no factory literature or information other than the parts list. I did find a thread on the hide from 09, and there's one online for sale at cabelas for 700 bucks. Great 300 ultra mag rilfe and load

I wish I could remember the dealer she said they were produced for now....

I don't know what those are. This is the only newer savage I've seen. I know nothing about them. I've built mausers...just about the opposite end of the spectrum....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.