savage 300 rum

kshunter

Has anyone rebarreled a savage 110 to 300 rum. Just curious if anyone has experienced magazine restrictions if so is there a particular savage action that will handle vld style bullets in this caliber or a magazine modification to make my std 30-06 length action work? I dont mimd single feeding when hunting steel but it sure is nice to have more than one round in the gun when hunting.

Use a centerfeed mag box, easier to modify for a longer OAL. I've got both styles modified to feed ~3.9" OAL.

You will more than likely have to modify the feed ramp as well, its much easier to use a follower and single feed, I saw a guy once at an IBS match put 10 rounds down range in 23 seconds and shot around a 7.5" group at 1k yards, I think you can get another one in there fast enough! If you think I'm crazy look it up on youtube cause he was being taped.

Oh I beleive ya. thats probly what ill end up doing it will mostly get used on steel anyway just trying to plan the best I can thanks for the advice. Tried to mock up a round of 300 weatherby with a 168 Amax seated out to 3.600 in my buddies 30-06 edge rifle. The center feed mag was also to short may be Im not following what you are saying. I know neither of these rifles are set up for the rum and that the weatherby round is .025 shorter than the rum round But looked like there would be feed ramp issues on both styles of action? Just has me curious what the difference is between these two long actions and the factory rifles that were chambered for the 300 Rum?:)

Oh guys Im just plain blind I see now that you said "Modify" on the reference to the center feed models! Thats interesting did you have to do any feed ramp mods or just magazine mods to achieve that length?

You use a 300 win mag centerfeed magazine and notch the front of it out and sometimes you have to make the feed ramp steeper and longer. The 300 win mag has a slightly different magazine .100" longer than the rest of the long action mags. Its really not worth it in my opinion and if your paper punching, shooting steel, or even hunting a 300 win mag will do just fine with the right load and last 3 times as long. I have a 300wby on a 110 and I just single feed it because if I'm taking a shot far enough away that I stand a chance of missing usually the animals has no idea what's going on and you have plenty of time for a follow up.

My feed ramps are unmodified other than a small notch for the tip of the bullet on the center feed action.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.