Savage 111 300 RUM with 210 bergers

djbeek

This is my first post and I appologize in advance as I tried to search this topic as I'm sure its come up. Anyway, I bought a savage 111 in 300 RUM thinking I would just load up some 210g bergers and go to town. Well the magazine box is only a hair over 3.60" and those 210g bullets are buried way down in the cases and a mile from touching the rifling lands. Are most guys just shooting single shots in order to get the bullets out far enough to touch?

thanks,

darryl

My buddies Savage 111 300RUM loves the 210 Berger with Retumbo and Fed215M with COAL to just fit the magazine. Hopefully yours will too.

Kevin Wyatt just emailed me back saying he did not make an extended mag box for savages. Thanks for the hope that mine will shoot with the COAL at 3.6. I filled a case with a max load of H1000 (because I had some around), I was worried that with that long bullet that deep in the case I would be losing powder capacity but that doesn't seem to be an issue. I will be getting some Retumbo though. Thanks again.

Last edited:
You may be happy with the H1000. We are running H1000 with 210vld in my buddies Rem sendero 300RUM. Also loaded at COAL to fit the mag. Sub MOA @1000yds.

Don't burn up too much powder trying to shoot a one hole group @100yds with these big Bergers. Get it shooting "good" groups, with the velocity and consistency your looking for and take it to the 1000yd line to see what you really got cooking.

The limits of the Savage mag have been the reason I have never bought or owned one.

Having said that there might be some hope for Savage action owners with the deveolpment of the 338 SIN.If you haven't looked at this thread it might be worth looking at.
If this works out as the cartridge designer hopes it could be the answer for the problems that come with the Savage action limitations and C.O.L.

I'm in the process of building a single shot short action Savage in 300 rum. I will be loading 210's to the lands and am wondering how many grains of H1000 should I start with?

I partially got the idea to go with a Savage because of the "Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget" article. I had never been a Savage "fan" but with the long standing accuracy claims, recent improvements like the accutrigger, the ease of barrel change and the price.... I thought that the ones that were built for the 300 RUM had longer boxes. Anyway the online Hodgdon data says the same 89g charge of both H1000 and Retumbo is max with a 220 partition. The minimum 83/84 g. The Retumbo has a slight edge in velocity. I've had people get concerned when I said I wanted to seat bullets "on" the lands, but that appears to be the starting point for bergers. Thanks for the advice about the 100 yard/1000 yard load work up. That will save me some money/time. I have a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger that I love and am hoping for some more stuff on a 7mm/30-375 Ruger. I have a 30" 7mm/9 twist McGowen barrel blank wainting in the wings. Got to love the name of that 338 SIN.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts