Savage F class 300 RUM

6mm

Thinking about either a custom F class 300 RUM from the factory or ordering a regular f class 308 with 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 twist and having a gun smith re-chamber to 300 RUM. What do you guys think? My brother has the 308 and a 300 RUM seems to fit the action OK. Lets hear some feedback. Thanks.

Just curious... you ever actually shot a .300 RUM? Not just 3-5 rds and then walk it off, but 20-25rds straight in 15-20 minutes, prone on the ground. Then wait an hour and do it again. Then again. If not, please tell me you're extremely recoil and blast tolerant? Remember, no muzzle brakes allowed in F-Class. gun)

I think you'd be the first that I've ever heard of even talk about shooting a RUM or similar round in F-Class. Not saying it hasn't crossed some people's minds, but not aware of one making it any further than that. Even in F/Open with a 22# weight limit, you *rarely*, as in like almost never, see anyone field anything much bigger than .300WSM, maybe .300WM. Some people are more recoil tolerant than others, but its a whole lot easier for most people to shoot and learn to read the wind with a lighter caliber. Surprisingly, it often more than makes up for any perceived ballistic 'disadvantage'...

I will not be competing with this rifle. It will be for long range hunting and target practice only. The F class I'm refering to is only the firearm model I wish to have Savage build or me convert. Just wanting to hear of any known compatability issues anyone may know of.

6mm,
In my opinion, I would try to buy a used remington sendero or equivalent and rebarrel it to the 300 RUM. It might cost a few dollars more, but you will have a good platform with plenty of aftermarket parts available (jewell trigger:D). I think that you could find a used gun for $600 or so and another 650 would get a good barrel and chambering. I little food for thought.

Still working on this with Savage custom shop. So far it is reasonable on price and the engineer is looking to mill the port out so an unfired cartridge can be ejected w/o needing to remove the bolt. I feel this would fit the bill perfect for me. I've really been impressed with the accuracy my brother gets with his in 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.