Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

Just as suspected the cold bore shot is out of the group. This load still shoots in the .2s but the cold bore makes it .7s. This is the first rifle I have ever had this issue with. This is also the only rifle I have not bedded. Any suggestions? I am going to try different torque on the stock. Have you guys noticed this on your LRHs? What accustock torque are you running? This is a new rifle without the wedge. I also think I will start working on a Retumbo load. Maybe I should just start a new thread? Thanks.

My LRH has an Accustock without the wedge. I used 40 in/# front and rear. Also needed to sand down the pressure point on the fore end tip to get cold bore accuracy.

Mine is a 116 Weather Warrior. I do not have a pressure point. Was yours an actual pressure point or just not completely free floated? Mine is completely floated to the recoil lug. I only have my screws torqued to 30in lbs so I will try more torque.Thanks.

Mine is a 116 Weather Warrior. I do not have a pressure point. Was yours an actual pressure point or just not completely free floated? Mine is completely floated to the recoil lug. I only have my screws torqued to 30in lbs so I will try more torque.Thanks.

My LRH was floated except for a small pad at the tip of he forearm. It did intentionally make contact.....until I removed it.

Well I just got back from shooting with different torque on the stock bolts. The 30/30 and 35/30 shoot the best(.25moa) but it did nothing for my cold bore shot. I am almost ready to order a Bell and Carlson stock. Any more suggestions?

Wow....

I just finished reading 79 pages of great information on the 6.5-284 ! And most of it was directly related to my new Savage!!

Thanks to all for this excellent resource!

I have a secret/public llove affair with red H stuff, so will will be starting with working a load for 123gr AMAX. Targeted use is up to deerr size game at 700 yards max. This is at our farm, so rangess are known, and marked.

Anyone ever play with these? Powders available include Superformance, H4831sc, IMR4350.

My rifle arrives this monday! Looking forward to this journey!

Wow....

I just finished reading 79 pages of great information on the 6.5-284 ! And most of it was directly related to my new Savage!!

Thanks to all for this excellent resource!

I have a secret/public llove affair with red H stuff, so will will be starting with working a load for 123gr AMAX. Targeted use is up to deerr size game at 700 yards max. This is at our farm, so rangess are known, and marked.

Anyone ever play with these? Powders available include Superformance, H4831sc, IMR4350.

My rifle arrives this monday! Looking forward to this journey!

Very nice man you will love the gun. I tried the Imr 4350 in my savage 111 LRH 6.5x284 but it grouped horrendously with the 140 Amax

Savage LRH in 6.5-284
Burris 3-15 veracity
Have Norma and Lapua brass, but until reading all the previous posts, had not planned to pre-process. Now, I'm thinking to turn the necks and check all for consistency.

I guess it won't matter so much for the pressure testing? But for any additional testing / evaluation it seems to make sense.

Initial plans are to work with the IMR 4350 and the Superformance to see where pressure signs are, and then work on load development from there.

JoeS,

What loads did you use on the 140 AMAX? Hornady load data calls for other powders with the heavier bullets (4831, VN165, etc.) and for the IMR 4350 etc with the lighter bullets.

Hoping to learn from others! It has certainly been made clear to me that I have a lot to learn... !

:)

JoeS,

What loads did you use on the 140 AMAX? Hornady load data calls for other powders with the heavier bullets (4831, VN165, etc.) and for the IMR 4350 etc with the lighter bullets.

Hoping to learn from others! It has certainly been made clear to me that I have a lot to learn... !

4831 SC will give excellent accuracy but not as much speed as 4350.

JoeS,

im running retumbo

58.5 gr at an OAL of 2.980 it is moving at 2950

Thanks Sarge!

I'm hoping to land somewhere around 3100 fps with the 123s. In all your research, does this seem reasonable for the LRH?

Thanks!

Not a savage but I just got a Mcmillian 6.5x284. Haven't shot it yet but had a 111 that I got rid of a couple years ago. Just needed to move it for something else. Anyway, excited to shoot it and try yalls loads it to see how she does. Keep you in the loop

Thanks Sarge!

I'm hoping to land somewhere around 3100 fps with the 123s. In all your research, does this seem reasonable for the LRH?

Thanks!

I will tell you if you intend to hunt with the Amax they do the job but they are a bloodshot SOB. You should be able to make it with the 123 gr. I could make it to 3000 with the 140 if I wanted but my goal was to stay between 2900 and 3000. So you should be able to make it to 3100.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.