Savage 111 LRH 338 Lapua chambering problem?

ok, how do you know if you FL sizing it correctly, do you measure headspace before FL and after, you could be setting dies incorrectly and buckling up the shoulders, what kind of setup do you use to check?

I don't currently have anything to measure the shoulder with other than the crude sharpie / caliper method. Do you have another method or particular tool you would recommend?

Thanks,
Brandon

yeah, if you have OD mike measure shoulders on your FL sized brass...

mod_article5516687_1.png

Well let's revive this idle thread, I have tried everything listed in this thread and a few different things to no avail. I have tried brass straight out of the box, die touching shellholder plus an 1/8 turn, 1/4 turn, 3/8 turn, and even a 1/2 turn. I think it is safe to say it is NOT a resizing problem afterall. I did some searching online and come to find out there are many people with this same problem, according to multiple people they said that the problem was found to be one of two problems or a combination of the two. The first potential problem found was that the front action screw was too long and obstructing the bolts closure and the second potential problem found was that the front factory included scope rail screw was too long as well and obstructing the bolts closure. ****ed to say the least, you would think if this was a common enough problem that Savage would fix it! Off to the Gunsmith with my new expensive boat anchor.

Brandon

Well let's revive this idle thread, I have tried everything listed in this thread and a few different things to no avail. I have tried brass straight out of the box, die touching shellholder plus an 1/8 turn, 1/4 turn, 3/8 turn, and even a 1/2 turn. I think it is safe to say it is NOT a resizing problem afterall. I did some searching online and come to find out there are many people with this same problem, according to multiple people they said that the problem was found to be one of two problems or a combination of the two. The first potential problem found was that the front action screw was too long and obstructing the bolts closure and the second potential problem found was that the front factory included scope rail screw was too long as well and obstructing the bolts closure. ****ed to say the least, you would think if this was a common enough problem that Savage would fix it! Off to the Gunsmith with my new expensive boat anchor.

Brandon

Well, crank the screws out and see if your reloads will chamber if so find the offending screw and shorten it, problem solved!!

I got ya, but I shouldn't have to worry about these problems with a brand new rifle. The *** should chamber the round, where is the quality control? Let me get the gun to the Gunsmith of where I bought the rifle and I will post the findings when I get it back. Hopefully this thread will save someone some aggravation in the future.

Brandon

What I've found is that they probably worked at the factory but after a little time the screw sinks into the plastic and someone tweaks it down again when going through the rifle for sale then you have screws obstructing things. Common problem with any rifle with a screw coming up in the locking lug area, not exclusive to Savage.
Why not just back a screw out a bit and find out?

Will do this weekend when I get a chance, thanks for the advice. I don't mean to be belittle Savage at all. I am a fan of thier rifles that is why I bought one. Just irritated that I have not been able to use it.

Thanks,
Brandon

like I said i had the same prob with a 6.5x284 savage.. I used a body die.. then I BACKED my fl die off the shell plate till I found the sweetspot... now she shoots great.. with no problems.. i know it frustrates you but soo many people handle these rifles before they get to you and after they leave the shop.. so someone could have easily tighted something down way over spec.. just gots to try everything.. and if not.. you should be sending the rifle to savage not a local smith.. they will warrenty anything..

kasey

Must be a Monday morning rifle. I have no issues with the rail or the mounting screws and there is no plastic to sink into. All metal. I'd shorten the rail or screws myself.

No more difficult than changing your oil and less messy....

Appears to be a minor inconvenience at best. It isn't a 5000 dollar custom built one off, it's a production firearm.

Again, i get that it isn't difficult to loosen or tighten a couple screws if that is truly the problem. With that being said I expect even a $1,000 rifle to chamber factory ammunition.

Brandon

Heard that man! Thanks again for all the replys, I will post what I find when and if I find the problem should be this weekend or early next week. Hopefully this information helps someone out.

Thanks,
Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.