Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

3150 does sound a bit fast. Running 53.5 grains of H4831sc out of my 26" Bartlein barrel with 4 grooves and an 8" twist gives me 2950-2960fps. That is right on the verge of having sticky bolt lift.

I plan on trying Retumbo this summer but I don't think it will give me 200fps more.

Retumbo could give you 60-100 FPS more velocity out f your 26" barrel. 200 is unlikely. IMO

I put a target spring in the Accutrigger so I can adjust poundage down to 1.5 lbs and up.

I didn't know you could do that. Where did you get the spring? And how do you go about changing it?

I'd like to have mine a little lower but don't have the money to replace the trigger right now

Jared

I haven't had the time to verify the 3150 fps again or disprove it. I am doubtful since I seem to have been the only one to get that from my LRH. I also have not tried retumbo with the 140 NBT bullets. I'm hoping to ventilate a doe this week with one to see how they do. I keep going back and forth on changing bullets. I'd love to get a hold of some LRAB bullets. Almost thought a bought dropping to 130 NBT bullets since most of my hunting will be 750 and less

ShootnMathews,
I ordered it from Gun Shack. The part # is SAV105270 and the spring is $6.00.
It was pretty easy to change the spring. I twisted out the action retaining pin.
Then I pivoted down the trigger assembly to give more clearance for the spring to be twisted out through the top. At that point, you just feed in the new spring using a screwing in action.
I was afraid everything would fly out when I lowered down the trigger assembly, so I cradled it as I lowered down the poundage spring side. Nothing moved out of wack!:D

6 is a good price. I buy mine from sharp shooter supply for 10. However for most of the rifles I build for hunters I like 2.5ish. More positive feel in cold temps with gloves. SSS makes precision ground lugs and nuts that really nice.

I agree with you on 2.5 lbs. That is my goal with this conversion.

Hey Brent, I have been wanting to ask you about your load. Are you still going with 56.5 gr Retumbo at .100 off the lands?

It looks like my base to ogive on my Savage is .020" longer then yours'. At .100 off lands, my Berger 140's bearing surface uses about 80% of the Lapua case neck. This seems sufficient with .002 neck tension to me.

What are your thoughts for bullet seating in this case?

Anybody for that matter...

Yes, except my Schnieder barrel is chambered for vlds so I am seating .005 currently. With this chamber .100 the bullet is seated too deep for retumbo. It also loves 215m primers and .040 off lands. Shoots a ragged hole. The problem is the pressure with nosler brass is a bit too high. I have not retested yet with lapau since my current load is .5 moa with 56.5 and 210m primers.

It's been a while since Ive worked on this gun. I thought I had it all worked out for the 140 Nosler BT bullets until I can find a load I like better. Either with Bergers or some other bullet. But tonight I came across a different problem. Before going into it I will say that last summer I did a 20 Moa tall target test to check if the scope was dialing properly and it was dialing extremely close to where it should. Now that that is out of the way. I have the gun perfectly zeroed at 100 yards. As close to perfect as I can dial with 1/4 MOA clicks that is. At 475 yards I have shot several different trips and every trip 8.5 MOA puts me dead center of target and it shot 1/4 MOA at that distance. Now, when I put those figures along with Noslers posted BC for the bullet and all of other needed info into Shooter it gives me a calculated velocity of 2820 fps. Now the crazy part, this evening I got to Chrono the load for the first time. I shot 7 shots. Throwing one out that was obviously way off from the other 6. I came up with an average velocity of 2688 fps. The cold bore shot was 2678fps and the other 5 were between 2685 and 2697. AND, I thought maybe I had some how screwed up on loading the box that I took the first ones from, so I grabbed 3 more from another box that I had loaded at a different time and their velocities were right in the upper part of the others, 2695, 2697, 2709. I can not for the life of me figure out why I'm coming up with two velocities(Shooter calculated and actual Chrono) that are that far off from each other. Any ideas here? I am just baffled. I have not shot it at any ranges past 500 yet because of the availability of a place that far to shoot. I only have one place to shoot past 500 and that's just a couple times a year.

It's been a while since Ive worked on this gun. I thought I had it all worked out for the 140 Nosler BT bullets until I can find a load I like better. Either with Bergers or some other bullet. But tonight I came across a different problem. Before going into it I will say that last summer I did a 20 Moa tall target test to check if the scope was dialing properly and it was dialing extremely close to where it should. Now that that is out of the way. I have the gun perfectly zeroed at 100 yards. As close to perfect as I can dial with 1/4 MOA clicks that is. At 475 yards I have shot several different trips and every trip 8.5 MOA puts me dead center of target and it shot 1/4 MOA at that distance. Now, when I put those figures along with Noslers posted BC for the bullet and all of other needed info into Shooter it gives me a calculated velocity of 2820 fps. Now the crazy part, this evening I got to Chrono the load for the first time. I shot 7 shots. Throwing one out that was obviously way off from the other 6. I came up with an average velocity of 2688 fps. The cold bore shot was 2678fps and the other 5 were between 2685 and 2697. AND, I thought maybe I had some how screwed up on loading the box that I took the first ones from, so I grabbed 3 more from another box that I had loaded at a different time and their velocities were right in the upper part of the others, 2695, 2697, 2709. I can not for the life of me figure out why I'm coming up with two velocities(Shooter calculated and actual Chrono) that are that far off from each other. Any ideas here? I am just baffled. I have not shot it at any ranges past 500 yet because of the availability of a place that far to shoot. I only have one place to shoot past 500 and that's just a couple times a year.

What type of chronograph are you using? With optical types I have had readings that were off as much as 70-80FPS due to lighting conditions. Also, using drops to calculate velocity at under 500 yards could produce errors in the range you are seeing. I believe you need to be at longer distances, (800-1000 yards) to get true velocity assuming the BC is accurate. iMO.

What is your atmospheric conditions? Not sure if you zerod and then use corrected conditions in shooter

I always adjust the atmospheric conditions for when I'm shooting. Sometimes it makes a difference of a few clicks one way or the other but Shooter always predicts it accurately. The atmospheric conditions were set correctly when I did the velocity calculation.

What type of chronograph are you using? With optical types I have had readings that were off as much as 70-80FPS due to lighting conditions. Also, using drops to calculate velocity at under 500 yards could produce errors in the range you are seeing. I believe you need to be at longer distances, (800-1000 yards) to get true velocity assuming the BC is accurate. iMO.

It's my friends Chrono. He just bought it last year. He said it is a Shooting Chrony.
I suppose that is the brand the way it sounded. With my 243 the numbers is gives matches my field drop data perfectly out to 800 yards. With my 6.5 it's giving me numbers of almost 140fps difference.

I tried putting the 2688 average velocity from the chrono last night into shooter and raised the BC all the way up to .6 and still could not get the drop data to match my field data. I know there's no way the Nosler bullets BC is that high.

You say that using drop data at less that 800 isn't accurate. ( By the way I'm not argueing, i'm just trying to understand what is going on) But If I adjust the velocity up or down even just slightly then my drop is off at 475. And all the data for my rifle is correct, the atmospheric conditions are adjusted for each shooting session. Noslers posted BC is questionable. I know exactly where to to dial my scope to hit dead center at 475 and If I change the velocity input any then the output doesn't match my dial. So how can it be wrong. Again I'll say, I'm not arguing. Im just trying to get answers so I can understand. Because right not I'm stumped.

Thanks

I would think you would or otherwise you would just be guessing. That is not what I asking anyway. Unless you are going to be shooting longer distances it is probably not worth the effort. You have good load for the range you are shooting which is a half the battle anyway. Good luck, sure you will figure it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.