Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

I finally got some time to chrony the load today in the area ill be hunting.

My average readings were 2547 :(

The temp was 53 degrees elevation 4163ft 10mph wind and 22% humidity do you guys think this will be far to slow to do what I need it to do. I am going to have to use this load this season for sure because there isnt enough time to possibly make another load

My ballistic program shows that at that altitude, velocity, and 40 degrees (incase it's colder), you should have enough velocity for expansion out to 625 yards or so. I'd say use it and limit my shots to 700 at absolute max.

Jared

That is really slow but.....if the accuracy is there, you can live with it for this season and work on a load next year. As long as you know your trajectory and you are getting tight groups, you should be good. Keep your shots under 600 yards.

alright thanks! what program are you using?

That was a quick run through Berger's ballistic app. It is pretty accurate for as simple as It is. I trust it. Normally I use "shooter" but it requires much more info input to give you a solution. If you measure your scope height from center of bore to center of scope ill give you a pic of bergers drop data. It should be very close for you. But always field verify before popping shots at game.

That was a quick run through Berger's ballistic app. It is pretty accurate for as simple as It is. I trust it. Normally I use "shooter" but it requires much more info input to give you a solution. If you measure your scope height from center of bore to center of scope ill give you a pic of bergers drop data. It should be very close for you. But always field verify before popping shots at game.

2 inches exactly. What is your guys conscience on the ft/lbs of energy needed to kill whitetail deer?

I used a sight height of 2.125", which is what my 111 LRH is. Temp 50 degrees, 2547 fps, 4160 ft, zero at 100 yards. This should be very close for you. By the way Berger lists 1800 fps min for expansion but it will do ok at a little less. Would stay above 1700 at least. Oh. Wind on that card is 10 mph at 90 degree Angle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 55
I used a sight height of 2.125", which is what my 111 LRH is. Temp 50 degrees, 2547 fps, 4160 ft, zero at 100 yards. This should be very close for you. By the way Berger lists 1800 fps min for expansion but it will do ok at a little less. Would stay above 1700 at least. Oh. Wind on that card is 10 mph at 90 degree Angle

Thanks

Thanks Jared

I am making sure too before I order permanent turrets as well. One thing I thought of about your 3 shot flyer. It may have already been addressed by some one else, but if it is a heat problem. You take a cold shot then wait about 10 minute's then another the 10 more and see if the third still fly's. That should tell you Maybe the Berger' heating the barrel faster. (Just a thought) I moved the gong Here is the pic i promised I shot 4 shots at 722 yards today . When I got set up there was a big clump of Jhonson grass in the way. I didnt want to take the time to go back and move it so i shot thru it. Im not sure if it would have helped if I had moved it, but either way I was happy with the result.

DL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 66
That's good shooting! I'd be tickled with that.

I'm pretty sure my flyers are not heat related because the flyer could be any of the three shot. It is just as often the first or second as it is the third shot.

By the way, if you want a good temporary turret label. I use blank ups labels that I get from work. You can probably make 20 or more turret labels from one ups label. Self adhering, come off easy, does not damage turret. I use a small piece of copy paper and wrap around the turret. Trim the paper so that it fits the turret the way I want the label, height wise and the ends butting, not overlapping. Mark the MOA lines on the copy paper if the turret is not tall enough to expose the original. Then I just fold the copy paper out on the ups label. Duplicate the height and length, transfer MOA marks. Then I use my drop data sheet to mark yardage marks on the ups label. I cover the turret label area with a piece of scotch tape because the ups label smudges easy. Then cut out the label area, peel and stick. Takes all of 5 minutes and with the tape covering the label it helps with moisture and will last a pretty long time.

Well I figured I'd try a little hotter load and see what happens with my VLD flyers.

140 VLD Berger
58 grns Retumbo
.072" jump
Lapua NS brass .292" bushing

I will post the group as soon as I shoot it.

I shot test groups to order the custom turret last week. I can go out to 722 at my place so went with my I phone Shootger app for the dope and it was right on here is the results.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 51
  • image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image_5.jpg
    image_5.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 49
That's some darn nice shooting!
I haven't been able to stretch mine out past 200 yards yet. Need to find some time to verify ballistics.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.