Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

I see why guys are shooting 26" and 27" barrels. This load only gives 1700 ft/lb at 300 yards and 3.7 moa drop from 100 yd zero in TN at 35°. Ballistics are still much better than a .308 win.

Anyone try h1000?

The issue is the low BC bullet with a light powder charge. Both my 6.5x284's , 24/26" barrels, generate energies of 1100FP at 1000 yards with a MV of 2950-3020FPS. This is typical for many of the shooters using this caliber. 140 VLD's with Retumbo, 56-58gr. H1000 and H4831sc will work but they give lower velocity at higher pressures compared to Retumbo in my rifles.

I can tell by cleaning today that 4831sc has complete burn in my 24". Retumbo didnt burn completely I dont think because I could see smoke immediately after the shot.(unless thats normal for Retumbo). I contribute this to the slightly less precision in groups.

Attachments

• 2014-08-31 19.36.06.jpg
    2014-08-31 19.36.06.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 96
The issue is the low BC bullet with a light powder charge. Both my 6.5x284's , 24/26" barrels, generate energies of 1100FP at 1000 yards with a MV of 2950-3020FPS. This is typical for many of the shooters using this caliber. 140 VLD's with Retumbo, 56-58gr. H1000 and H4831sc will work but they give lower velocity at higher pressures compared to Retumbo in my rifles.

I ran JMB for typical whitetail hunting weather in TN at 410ft elev. At 2960 fps with 140vld.

Your altitude must make a big difference in sustained energy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-31-20-42-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-31-20-42-59.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 67
I ran JMB for typical whitetail hunting weather in TN at 410ft elev. At 2960 fps with 140vld.

Your altitude must make a big difference in sustained energy.

Yes, at 1000 yards the difference between 500ft and 5000ft is about 200fp energy at that distance and 20" of additional elevation. I haven't seen mush difference in the terminal performance on deer sized game taken out to 1000 yards with this difference in elevation using 140 Hunting Berger VLD's and JLK's. Much more attention has to be paid to elevation adjustments due to temperature and elevation.

Since I still haven't gotten the bergers to stop getting flyers it's going to be he Nosler ballistic tips for my LRH this season. I loaded a batch for season and zeroed it with a few from the batch. Last time I tested these they shot .266" at 104 yards. This time they shot even better. One ragged hole at 100 yards. Sub 1/4 Moa easily. Probably closer to 1/8. My velocity is a lot slower and the BC is lower than the Bergers but these Noslers sure do shoot well in this gun.

Mathews What Nosler's and load are you using? I was just up in Cody and had a chance to visit with John Porter at Best of the West. We discussed the 65-284 a bit and they are using the Nosler LRAB's alot more these days, but I dont remember which weight they were running. I was going to mention to you the other day when you said you were having trouble getting good groups at 200 yards with Bergers. John was saying because of the tork generated by the heaver fast spinning bullets he said Like 40,000 RPM it takes a little distance for them to stableize. So I think he said they test at 4 or 5 hundered yards. I was also talking to Loyd Hill a while back and he said he does all his load devlopment at 500 yards on the 65 for the same reason. I think he Uses the Bergers. I don't now if you have gave that a try but it might help.

Yes, at 1000 yards the difference between 500ft and 5000ft is about 200fp energy at that distance and 20" of additional elevation. I haven't seen mush difference in the terminal performance on deer sized game taken out to 1000 yards with this difference in elevation using 140 Hunting Berger VLD's and JLK's. Much more attention has to be paid to elevation adjustments due to temperature and elevation.

I feel cheated. I'm moving to Mt Rainier.

Mathews What Nosler's and load are you using? I was just up in Cody and had a chance to visit with John Porter at Best of the West. We discussed the 65-284 a bit and they are using the Nosler LRAB's alot more these days, but I dont remember which weight they were running. I was going to mention to you the other day when you said you were having trouble getting good groups at 200 yards with Bergers. John was saying because of the tork generated by the heaver fast spinning bullets he said Like 40,000 RPM it takes a little distance for them to stableize. So I think he said they test at 4 or 5 hundered yards. I was also talking to Loyd Hill a while back and he said he does all his load devlopment at 500 yards on the 65 for the same reason. I think he Uses the Bergers. I don't now if you have gave that a try but it might help.

I'm shooting the 140 grain nosler ballistic tip over 50.2 grains of H4831 SC. My best guess on velocity is around 2750-2800 fps. My drop at 2750 and 500 yards fits but I'm high at 250. I think my velocity is actually faster but the bullets true BC is lower than Noslers advertised BC. This past weekend I set my zero at 100 and this load shot one ragged hole. I think I'll try the 130 LRAB next year if I can get a hold of a few boxes.

Well I guess my LRH is officially ready for season. It was shooting 1/4 Moa after i tuned this Nosler load and before I figured out the die wasn't bumping my shoulder. So I adjusted it to bumping about .0025" - .003" and now the bolt closes easy on all rounds and my group actually tightened up to just one ragged hole at 100. The other day I loaded a batch at this new "recipe" and zeroed the gun. Today I wanted to check that these few tweaks did not change my velocity or impact at some range and to check my cold bore flight path. Currently the only spot availible for me to shoot is 500 yards. I threw up the gong real quick, set up, dialed for 500, took a quick look at the wind around me and down range through he scope. I estimated a hold of around 4-5" for wind and sent one shot. I can't argue with the result. The impact on the 10" gong was approximately 1/2" high and 1/2" right of center. :) I can't wait for season now ! I have put a lot of time in this rifle over the past to years to get it to where I have complete confidence in it. Shots here very rarely occur beyond 600 and I have complete confidence now that if I see one in the clear here, I can put it in the freezer. gun)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 69
Congrats on finding that recipe for your rifle. That would give me complete confidence also.
I've been working on load for my 6.5-284 but have to admit that time is scarce with work, baby boy and limited areas to shoot over 200 yards. I hope to be able to cold shot as well as you did by November.

Well I guess my LRH is officially ready for season. It was shooting 1/4 Moa after i tuned this Nosler load and before I figured out the die wasn't bumping my shoulder. So I adjusted it to bumping about .0025" - .003" and now the bolt closes easy on all rounds and my group actually tightened up to just one ragged hole at 100. The other day I loaded a batch at this new "recipe" and zeroed the gun. Today I wanted to check that these few tweaks did not change my velocity or impact at some range and to check my cold bore flight path. Currently the only spot availible for me to shoot is 500 yards. I threw up the gong real quick, set up, dialed for 500, took a quick look at the wind around me and down range through he scope. I estimated a hold of around 4-5" for wind and sent one shot. I can't argue with the result. The impact on the 10" gong was approximately 1/2" high and 1/2" right of center. :) I can't wait for season now ! I have put a lot of time in this rifle over the past to years to get it to where I have complete confidence in it. Shots here very rarely occur beyond 600 and I have complete confidence now that if I see one in the clear here, I can put it in the freezer. gun)

Curious about how you didn't know the shoulder was not being bumped before now? I think it would help you a lot to have a process that you can refer to that is based on measurements via accurate methods. About 70 threads back, ha ha, there have been multiple discussions about tight bolt issues and whether it is pressure or reloading process issues. If you don't have the right gauges then check out Hornady's head space kit. You can make a guage too but unless you know what you are doing it is better to spend the money on a kit or the guage made for your cartridge. With this guage you can figure out .001 to .003 bump set up quite easily. This is probably the issue you had with the flyer, which is also weird......weird in that you can shoot two, they group, then a 3rd is a flyer. The pattern seems consistent. Every thread I believe I read says the same thing. The first two group and a 3rd flies. The question is why would that happen consistently? Why not have a shot and 1 and 2 be apart and then the 3rd group with either shot 1 or 2. Maybe that has happened and I missed it and that does happen. Good luck hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.