Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

View attachment 37957

I finally figured out my 6.5x284 lrh load data!

Nosler custom brass
cci br2
46.7g imr 4831
140g berger vld loaded .10 off the lans

Group measured .476 outside to outside and .212 point of impact I am beyond excited to finally have something shooting well in this gun!

The worse part is I bought some hornady 140 grain sst to hedge my bet for this season if the bergers wouldnt shoot now I have a bunch of extra bullets :)

Any idea what your velocity is with that load?

Has anyone tried reloaders 33 in there 6.5's. Just curious.. I know that retumbo works and I've tried to search for any post on this but keep coming up empty. I thought a while back someone had tried reloaders 33 in there 6.5. Thanks for the reply.

Well I'm glad everyone is having good luck getting their LRHs to shoot the Bergers. .005" jump is a depth that I have not tried for a very long time so I decided to go about it another way. I loaded a ladder test at .005" jump, two shots per load grain. With 56.5 grains of Retumbo being the hottest charge. (I know my gun is safe to 57.5 grains from previous testing). The groups progressively tightened up with 56.5 grains grouping at 1/4". (100 yards). So I will load a 3 shot group at 56.5 grains and 56.7 grains and see what happens with those at 250 yards. I have not tried .005" jump with the Retumbo until now. Only H4831SC. I know these were only two shot groups but the way they progressively tightened up, it appears I did not have any fliers. I will post more after I test these groups.

Jared

The 5 off really did it for me I have loaded another run and plan to shoot a Minute ladder test next week. A couple of other things that have helped my group size is Neck turning, Graphite shot lube, and straighting runout with concentricity Tool.

DL

The 5 off really did it for me I have loaded another run and plan to shoot a Minute ladder test next week. A couple of other things that have helped my group size is Neck turning, Graphite shot lube, and straighting runout with concentricity Tool.

DL

I was hoping to get 1/2 MOA results without doing all of that. I'm not opposed to doing it, and if I end up having to its ok. All of my other hunting rifles I can get 1/2 MOA or better without having to weight sort brass, check bullet runout, neck turn, or any of that. But I shoot nosler ballistic tips in most of them. And in fact my 6.5-284 here shoots 1/4 MOA so far out to 500 yards with noslers. But they are much slower with twice as much drop as the Berger at 800. Hence my desire to get these VLDs to shoot.

I will shoot a few groups here in a bit. See how they do. I'm almost out of bergers and I won't buy more for a while once I run out. So hopefully this group shots well

Some of the real shooters I know say they dont sort the burgers, because they are consistant enough that you dont have to. So just for grins yesterday I sorted a box. I found out of 100 they only varied 2 tenth's of a grain and 75 % being 140 and half of one tenth (thats on my Un calibrated scales) then the next 20% weighed 140 and one tenth. The rest only varied 1/2 of one tenth + or - of the others. Based on that I would say it is not necessary to sort by weight. I also started going thru checking all with two computators on the calipers and after several being the exact same I just stopped. BTW the groups I posted before were not weighed or sorted, just random selection. I made a 150 rounds of brass from Winchester 284 necking it down to the .65. I did find checking with a runout gauge that some were off as much as 10 thousandth's I was able to correct them all down to under 2 it seemed to help. I have about 80 rounds of Nosler brass that I was using before and I like this Winchester better.

DL

BTW I saved the heavest and the lightest and i plan to shoot a group with them and see how much they vary. If any one is interested I will post pics of the result.

I recently tried to sort bearing surface and weight sort 140gr 6.5 VLD lot# 6513. B.S. e.s. was .0019 and weight e.s. was
< .17 grains. One of the most consistent lots I've seen. Excellent!
My LRH seems to like .035" jump. Got one group at .125 jump with 57.5gr Retumbo at .413 moa but was un repeatable. Retumbo shoots great one session and worse than bad the next !!!???.
Rl22 had good velocity with cosistent .75 groups and S.D of 3 to 7.
H4831sc is by far the most accurate but very slow up to 52gr. Im trying up to 53.5 next shoot .
All 5 shot groups.
All my lapua brass is now fire formed and should gain 1gr capacity. Neck thickness variance was more than I'd like but at .035 jump I only have 3/5 neck seated in the neck so I didn't turn them.

Last edited:
That's still pretty good for as low as the charge is. Barrel will probably last a lot longer. With the 140 nosler I'm getting 2750 at 50.2 grn H4831. The nosler has so much more bearing surface. Extreme drag in the barrel. But it shoots .266" at 104 yards and 1.5" at 500. It will work until I sort these bergers out. The last load I was shooting with the bergers would not stay consistent concentricity but chronod 3150 fps. Wish I could get that speed with 1/2 MOA accuracy. Then a man would have something.

Test groups at 250 yielded same results as past Berger groups. Two shots 1/4" a part, one 1.5" away. Cannot pull these things together. I shot a 3 shot group of my nosler load to confirm nothing had changed with the gun. Noslers 250 yards = 0.75" group laying prone in "hunting type" conditions. I wish one of you 6.5 experts lived close, I'd see if one of you could figure this thing out.

Test groups at 250 yielded same results as past Berger groups. Two shots 1/4" a part, one 1.5" away. Cannot pull these things together. I shot a 3 shot group of my nosler load to confirm nothing had changed with the gun. Noslers 250 yards = 0.75" group laying prone in "hunting type" conditions. I wish one of you 6.5 experts lived close, I'd see if one of you could figure this thing out.

have you used different powders and seating depths? I know with mine the 46.7g of imr 4831 shot the best in my first group but it was sitting at 3/4 inches but when I messed with the seating depth I shot that 1/4 inch group idk just throwing ideas at you

I see why guys are shooting 26" and 27" barrels. This load only gives 1700 ft/lb at 300 yards and 3.7 moa drop from 100 yd zero in TN at 35°. Ballistics are still much better than a .308 win.

Anyone try h1000?

Attachments

• 2014-08-31 17.01.40.jpg
    2014-08-31 17.01.40.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.