Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

It's been a while since I've had the chance to shoot mine, but I pulled it out today for a few shots to make sure it was on for doe season this week. My current load is a 140 Nosler Ballistic tip over 50.2 grains of H4831sc 210M in lapua brass. This was 3 shots with the fore arm resting on a piece of 8" PVC pipe that was handy and my rear field bags for a rear rest. Range was somewhere between 100 and 110 yards. I didn't range it but I shoot there a lot so I know depending on where I stick the target it's in that range. Group measured .35".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 178
It's been a while since I've had the chance to shoot mine, but I pulled it out today for a few shots to make sure it was on for doe season this week. My current load is a 140 Nosler Ballistic tip over 50.2 grains of H4831sc 210M in lapua brass. This was 3 shots with the fore arm resting on a piece of 8" PVC pipe that was handy and my rear field bags for a rear rest. Range was somewhere between 100 and 110 yards. I didn't range it but I shoot there a lot so I know depending on where I stick the target it's in that range. Group measured .35".

I just bought some of that powder today at bass pro. It's the load that my 280 Ackley improved is based on and I'm going to try on my STW. Also try to my 6.5x284 because that's is based on all your data.

Great shooting

I just bought some of that powder today at bass pro. It's the load that my 280 Ackley improved is based on and I'm going to try on my STW. Also try to my 6.5x284 because that's is based on all your data.

Great shooting

My LRH really seems to prefer 4831 over Retumbo. Which are the only two powders I tried in it.

I've worked a lot with it to get it shooting where I'm really happy with it. I'm planning on using it on a hunt out west in the neat future for hopefully a mule deer. So, going on with that it's time I start testing the terminal ballistics of this 140 BT. I've located a place at my farm to get a 420 yard shot. I'm planning on seeding the area with corn to try to temp a doe into standing still long enough for a shot. It's going to be like shooting through a pipe. Today I set up my 9" gong precisely where I need the doe to stand and set up to take a few shots. The setup was horrible. I'll have to do some limb trimming before the hunt to ensure I don't hit one. But for today I had to get a rest off of the arm of an old patio chair that was sitting near by and I had no rear support. Honestly my crosshairs were weaving around the target so much I didn't even expect to hit it at all. The first shot was at 3 oclockish on the gong. The second shot to 9 o'clock. So now I just need a doe to stop on a dime and I'll get to test it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 186
I have been away for quite some time and it good to see people are still goin nuts over the 6.5-284. I don't have much to add but I did shoot a test load with nosler LRAB's. I have a pet load that works for me in every one of these rifles so I just used it and sent 4 rounds to a rock at 540 yards. I guessed at .005 off the lands and it seems promising with very little vertical and grouped about .5 moa. Some time in the near future I need to spend some time tuning.

As we all know there are several good powders that work. I personally like retumbo and h1000. In ladder tests the h1000 grouped all tests loads in a vertical at 3.25" at 400 yards. It is more forgiving then retumbo but just not as fast, if that is important. It does the same in my 243. For me both are so I still use retumbo mostly.

Having said all that in the time I have been away from the forum I shot a competition and put lots of rounds down range. As long as your load is accurate and consistent who cares what your choices are. I think we can make it all work fine.

Here are a few pictures for fun.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 179
Here a rock group at 840 yards. 3 shot group while out hunting and testing my wind call.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 193
I got a used Savage 6.5-284 last year. It is NOT the LRH. It's a 111, has a blued 22" barrel and a Tupperware stock, came with a lower end Nikon scope mounted from the factory. Previous owner had camo painted stock and taped a range card to it, rifle had very little sign of being used. No scratches, no dings. $500.00 shipped for the lot.

Former owner included a Hornady full length 2 die set, a few dozen 1X Nosler brass and a couple of boxes of his reloaded ammo, also some 6.5 120gr and 140gr sierras.

Rifle was not too accurate with factory scope and his loads... Some of his loads were 120 gr., built with OAL suitable for a short action, bullets WAY off the throat. They patterned, rather than grouped at 200 yards. His 140 gr. loads were a bit better, but well over 1" @ 100 yards.

Factory scope was cranked nearly to the end of adjustment to zero, crosshairs did no appear centered! It did not track accurately.

Got a dead nuts one piece mount and a better scope on it, bore sited the new scope and started loading.

RL22 and 120 gr. Barnes TTSX for starters. Got it zeroed @ 100, checked drop @ 200 & 300. it was opening of deer season so I quit playing with seating & powder weight when I got 3 shots into 1" @ 100. Shot 1 deer, cleaned the rifle and put it away, got busy with work.

This fall... Tried out some loads with H4831 SC, and went hunting again. Took another deer. The Barnes TTSX bullets terminal effects are odd. The damage inside these animals looked more like a core drill had been run through the deer than anything else, but both deer dropped in their tracks, so I can't complain about performance.

Having played with the outfit a bit now, I am wanting to replace the flimsy, flexible plastic stock- It is free floated, but only if you rest the rifle stock on a bag, or on a front sling swivel mounted bipod- If you use a sling properly to brace the rifle, or even place your off hand on top of scope while using bipod, stock will touch the barrel and accuracy goes out the window.

I also want to wring out the hand loads, it is hunting accurate for deer out to 300 yards, but nowhere near the performance claimed by others here.

I have a LOT of the Barnes 120 TTSX on hand, and a few hundred Speer and other bullets in 120, 140 and 146 gr. (I also load for 6.5x55 Swede). H4831, H4350, RL22 and RL17 on hand, along with others that might be applicable. Everyone else is running longer barrels than this Savage came with, anyone have suggestions on getting velocity out of such a short for caliber barrel?!

Any thoughts on what is available for a stiff, light weight stock- Probably in Kevlar. This is intended to be a hunting rifle, not a varmint or bench rest rig. I usually stand hunt near farm fields where there are potentially shots from 50 yards to 450+, and generally like to have a folding bipod mounted. But I DO want to be able to walk if needed, without having my arms fall off...

Doesn't look like I can edit posts, so here is load info from previous owner & myself-

Rifle came with these two loads:

Nosler 1X brass
52 gr. H-1000
Hornady 140 gr. SP
Fed 210M
2.870" OAL (very poor accuracy, did not even bother to measure group)

------

Nosler 1X brass
51 gr. RL 17
Nosler 120 gr. BT
Fed 210M
3.148" OAL (mediocre, around 2" @ 100 yards)

I spent a good bit of time & elbow grease on cleaning the bore before mounting new scope and starting load development, particularly right in front of throat- Previous owner had merely wiped out the barrel, and apparently did not manage to remove some pretty substantial Carbon fouling? Between the major cleaning and the new optic, I can't say for certain the former owner's loads were totally to blame, but I did not have exact same components or really care to repeat.

My first try:

New Lapua brass
52 to 52.6 gr of RL 22, in .2 gr increments.
Barnes 120 gr. TTSX
WLR primers
3.110 OAL

Stopped at 52.6 when 100 yard groups of 1" for 5 shots achieved as hunting season started 2 days later...

------

Second try:

New Lapua brass
49 gr. H4350
Barnes 120 gr. TTSX
WLR primer
3.100 OAL

Shot a 1" 3 shot group @ 200 yards, said good enough and went hunting.

Bert2368
Go ahead and move up to the 140 grain bullets, preferably the Berger VLD. You'll be better of with the heavier bullet for long range, and accuracy.

Bert2368
Go ahead and move up to the 140 grain bullets, preferably the Berger VLD. You'll be better of with the heavier bullet for long range, and accuracy.

Thanks for the response-

Those Berger bullets are not available locally, did find them online. $'s- Ouch! Maybe after the holiday spending shock fades.

I do have some other 140 grain projectiles on hand already:

200 Sierra 6.5mm 140 gr. BT #1730

100 Hornady 6.5mm 140 gr. SST #26302

100 Hornady 6.5mm 140 gr. spire point #2630

18 Speer 6.5mm 140 gr. spitzer SP #1441

-----

And a few 129 gr. bullets as well:

14 6.5mm 129 gr. SST #26202

-----

I would like to try loading for 140 gr with the Sierras until I can get my hands on the Berger bullets, using H4831 or H4350 for a start. With my 22" barrel, I'm not going to get the velocity of the same loads in the 26" LRH, obviously. Does anyone have data for this length?

I am slowly reading through the 80 + pages of this thread, and hoping that the chamber and throat dimensions of my Savage 111 are the same as the longer barreled LRH.

So I just measured to my lands and will be doing a load test. I have 20 rounds 4 of each starting at .005 off the lands and moving .020 with each goup of 4. Powder is retumbo at 57 grains. I have already tested for some pressures and really did't see anything until above 57.5 and 57 put me right at 2950 fps. So hopefully I can dial in a load with what is left for barrel life on this gun. I'm right at 1000 plus rounds probably closer to 1100. When this gun gets rebarreled I may go with a 26 to 27 inch barrel. Currently 24 inch. Bullets are Berger 140 VLD. I also will do this test with some 142 ABLR maybe. But with probably a different powder so I don't burn up all my retumbo.

I had 1700 on my last barrel before I replaced it. Wound up using that barrel on another rifle for the vortex challenge and it was still shooting .5 moa. Stock savage barrel. I set aside in case I wanted to rechamber it. My point is, unless you ran really hot loads you might be fine for a long time yet before throat erosion kills your accuracy.

Wachsmann, if your loads don't group like you want them to, you might try loading with the OAL about .010" longer than the measurement to the lands. My rifle shoots best with about .010" of jam into the lands.

I have one load that shot good for hunting temps like 30 to about 65 degrees but it's about 100 fps slower and it not temp stable for summer shooting. This is why I'm wanting to move away from it. It wil still be a good practice load if I can get it shooting again. So I have been full length sizing all my cases the 100 that I shot 10 plus times before. Is it possible for a gun to like x amount of pressure on the case to get x groups. Reason being is with my load that is 100 fps slower it just starts to show pressure leaving the small ejection mark on the case. It is a max load for the hybrid v100. I get 2845 with this load at 3.1 COL. Really won't to get the retumbo shooting though. I also probably need to give the gun a good cleaning aswell.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.