Savage 110HS or Remington 5R

encoreguy

I am going elk hunting this fall and I am going to buy a new rifle for the hunt. I have decided on a 300 Win Mag. (could be talked into a 7MM Mag also) and I think I have narrowed down my rifles to a Savage 110 HS Precision with 24" barrel or a Remington 5R with 24" (threaded) or 26" barrel. I am a Savage fan, I like the accu-trigger and accuracy for the cost. However I have heard good things about the 5R and I like the fact that it is stainless. In the end accuracy is my number one priority. I want to shoot at minimum 180 grain bullets but the 210's would be great if I can seat them properly and still get them in the magazine. I know all the guns are a little on the heavy side for hunting but after the hunt I want to use the gun for long range steel shooting. Which of the two would be your pick? If you say 5R, 24" threaded or 26" barrel? I have a Vortex 4-16 PST ready to mount on the gun. Thanks for you help!

I think it's a win/win either way you go. The remington 5R is known for being extremely accurate out of the box, and the fit and finish is excellent. The savage can be easily upgraded as DIY project if you decide to go a different route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for the 700 5R with a 26" barrel.

I have a 24" 5R .308 Win, and it absolutely drives tacks. I hate the palmswells on the stock, but I'm scared to change it out because of how well it shoots in it. :D

This is a roll of the dice as far as what you will get with a factory rifle. You might get a shooter and you might not.

With that said, I have a .308 5R that is unbelieveably accurate. It will shoot "bug holes" at 200 yards all day long. I just recently sold a Savage 11/111 LRH in 300 WSM that would shoot 3/4 to 1 inch groups repeatedly at 300 yards....wish I would have kept it.

So flip a coin and go for either.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.