savage or remington

I like both, and shoot both.

700 would be better, but Savage actions are a better "bang for the buck" IMO.

You can do a lot on a budget with a Savage action and still have a very good shooter. The main reason is that you can do a lot with out a gunsmith or a lot of tools even.
A 700 action would be better overall, but cost much more in the long run.

This argument has been made over and over to infinity.

I prefer the savage as it has a very modular design that is very strong and easy to work on.. The action does not need to be trued as they area floating bolt head. The bolt handle can be changed out with a wrench as can the interchangeable bolt head. The barrel nut is a great idea but if you do not want to use it you do not have to.
I have worked with Remington's a few times and just think it was not a well thought out as it could be. I know most will disagree as that is what most smiths have been taught to work on. It just does not make as much sense to me. This is just my opinion.
I just wish a custom maker would make a savage clone in a larger size like 1.6" od. that could handle some of the big stuff.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.