Savage 110: New Barrel or Thread Existing?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Savage 110 Hunter in 300WM and am planning for the addition of a muzzle brake. I'm wanting opinions/recommendations on whether I should have the current, stock barrel threaded or if I should purchase a new barrel, like Criterion with threads.

Eventually I would like to put a B&C stock on, but for now, a muzzle brake and a finding a good load are at the top of my list.

This question may seem quite comical, however, assuming I'm getting accurate results out of the factory barrel I assume I should have the factory barrel threaded and rebarrel when necessary?

Thanks in advance.

I think NSS or another Savage specializing shop has new takeoff barrels. If you can find one with a profile and muzzle threads that you like, that might be an affordable option.

Otherwise, I think the cheapest Savage prefit barrels start at about $270 so threading is probably cheaper.

II agree with Savage 12BV that you should check the performance of the un-braked barrel. If you insist on shooting with a brake, I'd take the gamble and first try a brake on the original. I have a couple of Savages in which the original barrel shot as well as the Pre-fit I replaced them with. If cost is a factor, you will be surprised how fast you can approach $400-$500 with Pre-fit; threading charges, brake, and any tools you might need to install the Pre-fit. You will only be out the cost of the threading with the original barrel, if you re-use the brake if you are not happy, and go with a Pre-fit. IMO.

Excellent advice from the responding members. The price difference at NSS is only $75.00 between a threaded and a non-threaded barrel. A Smith will likely charge you more than that to thread your existing barrel. I tend to be a little more 'impatient' ;) and admittedly am quite fond of Criterion pre-fits. If I was even remotely considering a barrel change at some point I'd probably just go ahead and order a threaded pre-fit (from NSS ;)) and be done with it. Just my impatient 2 cents.....

Just put a brake on your existing barrel. Way cheaper. Since your barrel shoots good already it will probably shoot a touch better with a brake.
Shep

Excellent advice from the responding members. The price difference at NSS is only $75.00 between a threaded and a non-threaded barrel. A Smith will likely charge you more than that to thread your existing barrel. I tend to be a little more 'impatient' ;) and admittedly am quite fond of Criterion pre-fits. If I was even remotely considering a barrel change at some point I'd probably just go ahead and order a threaded pre-fit (from NSS ;)) and be done with it. Just my impatient 2 cents.....
Tell me about the Criterion pre-fit barrels, I have been thinking about one. I finished a Shilen pre-fit build last year and I am happy with how it turned out.
Ace

Most savage factory barrels are accurate so I would shoot it a little to see. If it is than thread it and plan on buying any new savage or aftermarkets with threads. NSS has an assort of threaded bbl's available.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm sorry, but does bbl stand for bull barrel?

Just barrel's check out NSS site, he has all different contour's, cartridge's and length's available in factory savage take-offs and Shilen and Criterion match barrel's.

Ya James at NSS is great to deal with. Just for reference on contour, my 25" 6.5 bore heavy sporter is .702" at the muzzle and weighs 54 oz. They will also use customer supplied reamers for a small upcharge ($50 maybe?), if that interests you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.