SPS or 110 savage

wingman

Hello all, I am looking at getting a .300 RUM. I am working on a budget and want to get the most bang for my buck so to say. I have found a Savage 110 "package" gun with a 24" barrel and a Remington SPS SS 26" barrel. Or is it feasable to build one of these for less than $500. I already have glass and Rings for it. I thought I had a gun found but was misled about the barrel length. It had been cut down to a Bore length of 22" and an aftermarket brake added to make an overall length of 24". I know enough about this caliber that I would get none of the perks of it out of a 22" tube. Thanks in advance for all responses.

I would not consider a 22" tube and neither would 90% of the shooters out there. I would only consider the Savage as a donor action if that is the 22" barreled gun you mentioned. If you buy the Savage right you can get a 26" or even 28" shilen match grade barrel for around $250 and that would give you a good shot at having a good shooter.

wingman:
If $500 is the extent of your budget, that will pretty much just buy you a rifle. Mount your existing rings/bases/scope on it and you're done.

If you want to build from that, it's going to cost you more.....

Trigger Job ~$60
New Stock ~$150+ (150 would be the low end, think more along the lines of $300 plus to get a good stock)
Rebarrel ~$600 (this would include the gunsmith fee to install) although if you went with the savage you could buy a barrel for ~$250 and install it yourself.

Get a Stevens for $300 and sell the stock and barrel for $50
Buy a B&C stock for $200
Buy a prefit barrel for $250
Buy a trigger for $100

That'd be a pretty good rig on the cheap. Of course, so are the higher end Savages.

Without a magnum action you will need to open up the port and change the mag box to make it a repeater on a 110 LA standard action. A 110 LA action can be used as a single shot, in some cases you can load one in the barrel and push one down if the bullets are not seated to long out. I have not tried this, but read somewhere that it was possible.

If you could find a 375 H&H Savage that action or an older 300 RUM action will do the work just fine. The Savage 300 RUM guns show up from time to time I think there is one on Auction Rms web site at the moment for $475?

Hey thanks for the response guys. I know that the 22" barrel would not do what i or most guys on here would want that caliber to do. I was just simply stating that i did find that gun but was misled about the length. The 110 is a factory chambering and i think is exclusively made for Jerrys. The SPS was also a Jerry's gun. I have contacted Savage and you can get a 116FSS in a .300 RUM with a 26" tube from the custom shop. I have also done some more digging and have found a Sendero and another 700 that i am inquireing about. I'm not sure on Mfg that i will go with but if i can get a good deal on the sendero i will probably go with that. Again thanks again, i am sure i will have many more questions during the set-up of my gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts