Remington 700 or savage 110

Mooseknuckles

Hey guys I have been beating my head against the wall trying to decide on a rifle. I want a heavy barrel 300 win mag and have been looking into the Remington 700 long range and the savage 110 fcp hs. My question is, is the savage worth paying the extra 300 dollars or so or do I get the Remington and upgrade the trigger. I know Remington has been hit and miss with there rifles. Savage seem to be good shooters out of the box but lack the aftermarket some what. Any input would be great thanks.

I would get the Remington over the more expensive savage. I own a few savages and I still prefer the 700 over both of them. I have owned four 700's and never experienced any "quality control issues".

I have a factory barreled remington 700 XCR in .338 RUM and it is an amazingly light and accurate (.5 moa out of the box!) long range hammer. I've owned it for three years and it is the only rifle I use for long range hunting.

For the money I think a 700 is super hard to beat.

I would struggle with this one too, even though I like Savages. If the Remington shoots, you got a good deal. If it doesn't, you probably would have been way better off with the Savage.

All that aside though. I would get the one that fits me best. The Remington LR has a short length of pull on the stock. It is only 13" instead of the more traditional 13.5". The Savage is 13.5". I noticed this right off one day at a LGD. I have long arms and it felt uncomfortable with the short length of pull on the Remington.

Also the Savage has the DRM and the Remington doesn't. I don't like my handloads bouncing around and having to be dropped from the bottom of a regular mag well all the time.

The Remington has a 26" barrel and the Savage doesn't.

Hey guys I have been beating my head against the wall trying to decide on a rifle. I want a heavy barrel 300 win mag and have been looking into the Remington 700 long range and the savage 110 fcp hs. My question is, is the savage worth paying the extra 300 dollars or so or do I get the Remington and upgrade the trigger. I know Remington has been hit and miss with there rifles. Savage seem to be good shooters out of the box but lack the aftermarket some what. Any input would be great thanks.

Well... We all know what I'm going to say... Rem 700. With the 700 LR model, you can swap in a Timney trigger and bed the factory B&C Medalist stock (remember, after the bedding has dried and sat overnight, torque the action screws to 65 inch-pounds), float the barrel, and if it still won't shoot quite as good as you want, try some of those Tubbs Final Finish bullets for $35 from Midway, and see if that doesn't smooth out the bore and help your accuracy. Basically, all those bullets do is lap the bore and remove the tooling marks.

Several forum members have tried them, and said they worked. I've never used them personally, as my gunsmith hand-laps my barrels... But, for $35, I'd sure give them a try if you can't get the accuracy you're wanting.

In the end, buy what you want... Everyone has their favorites.

I didn't realize that the Remington was such a short length of pull. i am a pretty tall guy so that might be a little problem but i can remedy that pretty easily. My last Remington 700 sps i have been happy with and it will shoot under and inch after i replaced the stock and the trigger. my 308 is a savage and it has be a very accurate gun as well. The other thing that concerned me about the savage is mag length and throat length. I am going to be shoot the 215 Berger hybrids in whatever gun i decide on and want to be able to seat them out farther then sammi spec. i know savage has been know for close to sammi spec chambers.(correct me if I'm wrong)
Hoping to find a place that has both in stock and compare side by side.

Hard to beat a Remington. I've never had the problems that other people talk about concerning accuracy. I have the same problem with lop, I put a slip on recoil pad over the factory one to gain a little length. As for the trigger a timney is a quick easy upgrade.

I actually own both of these. My savage has been a great shooter (under 1/2 minute when I do my part). I have close to 600 rounds through my savage and it is still going strong. With my hand loads my savage is a single shot as they are to long to fit the mag. I purchased my Remington this last summer and have not shot it. First thing I did to it was drop it off at my local gunsmith to have the barrel threaded for my suppressor. Then when I got it back I threw away the factory trigger and replaced it with a rifle basix, bedding job and now and it sits in my safe until I can afford another Nightforce to put on it. I figure if it doesn't shoot to my satisfaction I will sell it and put that towards a custom rifle I am saving for. Ultimately you have to decide what you like best and what fits. :)

Attachments

• 20150608_185024.jpg
    20150608_185024.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.