Remington 700 or Savage 11/111?

gary, thanks for the comments... good stuff there. :)

I love the Remington 788 (see my screen name)... I wish we could still get new ones. :)

Been around several 788's thru the years, and there are good points about them as well as some bad points. They are best suited for small diameter cases due to their rear lockup bolt. But all these issues can taken care of, but it's a little bit of work to get there. I've seen .222 family cases shoot in the low fours with a factory barrel & stock. I better stock alone ought to put that gun in the mid threes. Have a buddy that tighted up the bolt in one, and rechambered it in his .243 short (sorta like a 6mm HLS but with short shoulders). He reworked the trigger (took him forever to get what he was after). The barrel was a factory .243 if I remember right). The stock was the factory wood stock that was pillar bedded. The gun shot quarter inch groups all the time! He said his most accurate groups were always low pressure loads.
gary

The Savage 11/111 is a tremendous rifle equaling performance to others double the price. If anything, in my opinion, Remington with all their 700 'knockoff' models has lowered its standards. This rifle, as well as, the Savage 116, is extremely accurate. To answer the long range question, the .270, 30-06 and 7 Mag are all capable. My top choice, 30-06 with the Federal Premium 165gr Boat tail;and the 150gr (140gr.) in the 7mm Mag. The .270 is also a very good caliber over the 308. I suggest sighting in at 200 yards vs. 100 if you plan to hunt at long range distances... especially if shooting out to potentially 300 - 400 yards.

I'm giving up on Savage altogether. If they can't make a rifle where Jewel and some of the other trigger companies won't build them for, I'll settle with any other action that Jewel makes one for.

Bah humbug Savage!

Merry Christmas Jewel.

Well, the trigger issue may be a demand problem. Once I got used to the accutrigger I love it. 2.5 pounds, or lighter with the target action, is perfect for a hunting rifle. Does an accutrigger compare to a Jewel, no, but it is a great trigger. I was going to buy an aftermarket but don't see the point. Just an opinion.

first of all I will never go into the field with anybody that's using a half pound trigger! I don't give a **** who makes it. I do have one rifle with the factory trigger that was shipped at slightly over one pound of pull with virtually zero creep. I still don't trust it, even though it's never failed. Much rather have a two pound trigger than having an accident. Jewell triggers are nice, but also prone to contamination at the worst times. (please don't tell me it never happens as I know they do). I like a couple other triggers better than the Jewell I might add. One is extremely rare, and the other is usually ignored.

But we're talking hunting rifles and not target rifles here. There are many forms of replacement triggers out there that will do quite nicely, but also won't go down to a half pound. If a Jewell is what you must have, then so be it. But I won't be out there with you if it's set at the claimed two to four ounces! I like life better than that. In a hunting rifle the Savage is by far the best, and also the safest. I do have a Savage with a Rifle Basix that's set at 14 ounces, and I trust it. But also pull the bolt back when not in use. I don't trust any of them! My Mod. 12 was shipped at 14 ounces, but is running at 18 ounces right now (last time it was checked anyway). It has about .010" of creep in it, and of course I could take most all that out, But who cares anyway? My lone Remington is set at two pounds with about the amount of creep in it, and is plenty good enough for anything I want to do with it. (I may change the trigger out to a Rifle Basix as I still don't trust it). Still it's a hunting rifle, and does everything quite well.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.