Savage 11/111 STOCK

loneranger916

Have the Savage 11/111 trophy hunter that has served me well, as is... now looking to upgrade the synthetic stock. I've looked into Boyd and whatnot, but wanted to stick to synthetic... any suggestions? I know some stocks are priced and what some rifles sell for, so i want to stick with something reasonably priced.. any recommendations?

Bell and Carlson are reasonably priced.
http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?category=1040

Also, if looking for something in the same profile as the original stock. Look for a used Savage Accustock in the classifieds. The Accustock has an aluminum bedding block that makes the stock stiffer and helps accuracy. They pop up from time to time on several forums and can be had for a good price. Check out the Savage Shooters site. Usually something in the classifieds there.

Your options for "reasonably priced" synthetic include

1. Takeoff Accustock from classifieds or NSS.
2. B&C

I just bought an Accustock for my 116 Trophy Hunter for $50 and I'm gonna tinker with it to get some improvements I want.

B&C Savage sporter stocks are ~$280 and weigh about half a pound more than an Accustock. I don't know if they're nicer (I would bet they are), but the on-paper features are equivalent.

I didnt thinking about considering an Accustock. To those who have/had one, is there a noticable difference between Accustock and non-Accustock? One of my biggest complaints is how flimsy the end of the stock is. Its supposed to be a free floating barrel, but the stock clearly has contact.

Accustocks are significantly stiffer than the plastic Axis stock on the Trophy Hunter series. It's still not quite as stiff as some high end synthetic stocks, but it flexes significantly less at the muzzle end. You might still have some contact, but it would be small enough to handle with a file.

First of all do you have a 11 or a 111, that'll make a difference? 11 actions are short for cartridges like .308, the 111 is for stuff like .30-06 length. Secondly, if you go with an Accustock you're going to have to use a different recoil lug, so either you or a gunsmith is going to have to remove the barrel nut and align the new Acculug. If you have to use a gunsmith then the price difference between a new B&C stock and a used Accustock, Acculug, and possibly labor it might make it a wash on price.

However, if you want a hunting style stock and you have a short action a used Accustock is the cheapest route. B&C only makes the Tactical style Medalist for short actions, so if you don't use an Accustock then McMillan or Stockade is your next best option. If you have a long action you have a little better options with B&C since Savage never changed the screw spacing on the long action like they did the short.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.