New Savage 110 mis-firing

Poor quality control and poorer customer service is what bankrupted them at least twice. It seems they are back to the norm rather than what they were offering for much of the last decade or so.

Sad to see but that's what you get when bean counters run a gun/ammunition/glass company.
I really like the folks at Sportsman's Warehouse better, but they couldn't get the rifle I wanted. They said it was months out, if at all. Cabela's had it in a week, on sale. Sometimes you just have to bite your lip.

I agree but I was dealing with the firearms manager and the folks in the gun library, who are supposed to be their top folks. I certainly don't fault them for not knowing every detail of every brand they sell, but when I asked them to just put a trigger pull gauge on it to check if it was very low, they went corporate legal and said they aren't gunsmiths, and they couldn't measure the pull. Would have taken 30 seconds. Thanks boys, appreciate the lack of effort.
My first question to them then would have been, "Why do you have a trigger pull gauge in here then?" .

Since the buyout I'm sorry to say Cabela's has completely gone to hell. BP was famous for having the least qualified people they could hire running the firearms department and it appears they all got promotions and moved over to management level positions in Cabela's departments.

I've bought a few really high end guns through Cabela's gun library over the years with nothing but excellent results but once the buyout happened those guys disappeared and so did my desire to do any more business with them.

Most of my hunting rifles have Trigger Techs in them, so I'll look there first.

I wish Trigger Tech sold one. I am holding off the ELF hoping they eventualy do. The Rifle Basix works great but I think the TT and ELF have some advantages. Timney are good to great too. Jewel as sweet they are, it would be nice to have that option, but they still don't make a Savage trigger.

I wish Trigger Tech sold one. I am holding off the ELF hoping they eventualy do. The Rifle Basix works great but I think the TT and ELF have some advantages. Timney are good to great too. Jewel as sweet they are, it would be nice to have that option, but they still don't make a Savage trigger.
I didn't know TT didn't have a AccuTrigger replacement. Timney is just a few miles from me, and I've got one of their triggers in my Ruger M77. Maybe that will be the ticket. I'll take the savage out this week and shoot, see how I like the AccuTrigger now that it's working.

I didn't know TT didn't have a AccuTrigger replacement. Timney is just a few miles from me, and I've got one of their triggers in my Ruger M77. Maybe that will be the ticket. I'll take the savage out this week and shoot, see how I like the AccuTrigger now that it's working.
I've got several Timney triggers and like them very much. A brutally simple system compared to many.

Thanks, the low tension sounds like a probable issue. If so, I'll put it at 3.0 and put some blue loctite on it. Thanks.
I don't know about all the pull weight causing the problems. I have many savages and been adjusting the triggers from models in the 80's to current.

I currently have 9 with acu triggers from the first model to last years. One is set at 3lb as it's my daughters rifle and she does not have a lot of trigger time. All the others are set no more than 2lb and several at 1-1.5lbs. Have not had one single issue like you described.

I would skip Cabelas and send it back to Savage yourself with a detailed phone call to get it started and include same details with the rifle when mailed in.

I don't know about all the pull weight causing the problems. I have many savages and been adjusting the triggers from models in the 80's to current.

I currently have 9 with acu triggers from the first model to last years. One is set at 3lb as it's my daughters rifle and she does not have a lot of trigger time. All the others are set no more than 2lb and several at 1-1.5lbs. Have not had one single issue like you described.

I would skip Cabelas and send it back to Savage yourself with a detailed phone call to get it started and include same details with the rifle when mailed in.
"acid triggers"? 😂

I really hate auto complete!

I agree but I was dealing with the firearms manager and the folks in the gun library, who are supposed to be their top folks. I certainly don't fault them for not knowing every detail of every brand they sell, but when I asked them to just put a trigger pull gauge on it to check if it was very low, they went corporate legal and said they aren't gunsmiths, and they couldn't measure the pull. Would have taken 30 seconds. Thanks boys, appreciate the lack of effort.
I am absolutely not a fan of Cabelas after they were forced to sell by hedge fund owner Paul Singer. I don't want or like today's corporation customer service and liability policies so I avoid dealing with them every chance I can. I am only upset with myself when I receive exactly what I expect from monster corporations ran by Wall Street.

I had already sent it to Savage once with the identical issues. They had it for a few weeks, sent it back with a note saying nothing's wrong. I had called back there a few times, and was told customers aren't permitted to speak to the gunsmiths. Heck, I had a 4 minute video showing the exact conditions of the misfires, but I was told that there was no way to have the gunsmiths view the video. I guess email and attachments haven't made it to Savage factory yet.

After reading many times of other Savage owners who told me the same thing about the AccuTrigger misfiring when the trigger was set at a low pressure, I figured I'd try to adjust the trigger before wasting another 5-6 weeks sending it back. Adjusting the trigger has worked, no dry misfires tonight. I'll shoot it later this week to confirm.

Have several Savages and my Stealth has the trigger set too low and the trigger will occasionally lock up. If I lift the bolt and put it down again it's okay. I just putz around at the range so no biggie. Guess I should pop the stock off and make the trigger a little heavier.

How light do you have the trigger set?

Does this sound like the problem you're having? If so, try increasing the trigger pull weight a bit.

I had the exact same problem with my Ultralight 110 , I adjusted the trigger a little bit and problem went away.

Have several Savages and my Stealth has the trigger set too low and the trigger will occasionally lock up. If I lift the bolt and put it down again it's okay. I just putz around at the range so no biggie. Guess I should pop the stock off and make the trigger a little heavier.

You'll need to use locktight to to keep it from loosening up.

I had the exact same problem with my Ultralight 110 , I adjusted the trigger a little bit and problem went away.

Problem went away, ...for now.

This is what happens when lawyers design triggers.

Thought for the day. If the Accu-Trigger is so great how come all of the ones being changed out aren't being resold on the used market?

BTW I have one I would let go cheap. Maybe I should list it. Think of all those pre Accu-Trigger Savages out there.

Do think I'll have any takers, or would I just be wasting time? ...Yeah me too.

Last edited:
Accutrigger safety sear lock engaging. Adjust trigger and then make sure you pull straight back on it
That's part of the reason I went with rifle Basix triggers on Savage. You must pull straight back on an Accutrigger, if you pull it sideways even a bit you have to recock and try again. You might also check firing pin protrusion, it is adjustable on Savage bolts.