New Savage 110 mis-firing

Goes to show how everyone's luck or experience vary's with rifles. I've owned numerous savage rifles. Not one with an issue. I don't shoot them much today as stocks and triggers aren't as abundant as the Remington foot print aftermarkets. They were very trustworthy and reliable rifles for me for years both factory and semi custom using only the actions.
The only one that was good was a 7-08 Classic Hunter. Very accurate. Not a single problem. The main culprit wad a long range hunter, in 6.5x284 Norma. It shot all over the place. Then while working up a different load using H4831 it started blowing primers at four grains under max . then ejector broke. Sent it back to savage. Six weeks later I called them and spoke to customer service person who said wow, they replaced almost everything on that rifle. Only thing kept was the action. When it was replaced one of there gun Smith's called giving me down the road saying I didn't know what I was doing reloading. And that the warranty would not be used again because I reloaded. When I asked about all the replacement parts the customer service rep told me about he said he didn't know what he was talking about. It came back with new stock, barrel bolt and bolthead. I know the barrel was new because I had scratched it just in front of the stock. new one was clean. Now after all of my complaints, that was a serious shooter when I got it back. After about1600 or more rounds down the tube it found a new home. I think there quality controls went out the window in effort to put guns on the shelf.

Last edited:
The only one that was good was a 7-08 Classic Hunter. Very accurate. Not a single problem. The main culprit wad a long range hunter, in 6.5x284 Norma. It shot all over the place. Then while working up a different load using H4831 it started blowing primers at four grains under max . then ejector broke. Sent it back to savage. Six weeks later I called them and spoke to customer service person who said wow, they replaced almost everything on that rifle. Only thing kept was the action. When it was replaced one of there gun Smith's called giving me down the road saying I didn't know what I was doing reloading. And that the warranty would not be used again because I reloaded. When I asked about all the replacement parts the customer service rep told me about he said he didn't know what he was talking about. It came back with new stock, barrel bolt and bolthead. I know the barrel was new because I had scratched it just in front of the stock. new one was clean. No more savages.
Ya I get it. Hard to blame anyone for moving away from an unreliable rifle. Mine were all pre 90s rifles. Think I may have one action I used for a new build but it has a new trigger in it. Never an issue. I did have an issue with a 22-250AI I built on a savage action but like I said, i was shooting standard ammo in it and had to load the bullet into the rifling snug to get ignition. Once those cases were formed, never an issue. Had the same problem with a custom action also. Shooter/loader error more than equipment issues. I prefer Rem 700 action foot prints now on all my rifles. Better availability of aftermarket components. The savages were at the time the best out of the box accurate rifles I owned.

I had the same problem with my Savage (2011 model). I would adjust the trigger pull weight at the lower end and as I shot it, the trigger would get lighter on its own until it eventually would do what is happening to you. The screw was backing itself out. About 8 or 9 years ago I put nail polish on the adjustment screw (it is actually a spring) after adjusting it and haven't had the problem since then.
This is exactly what I do with my savage triggers that I change the spring on, I add a bit of nail polish and that fixes it. I have many savages and have only had the issue once but that's the fix it needed.

not to mention the amazing Mod 99.... and their shotgun & pistol line up back then. After their come back they seem to be living on their reputation, personally, I always thought of the Accu-trigger as a sale gimmick. I think their new savage straight-pull bolt action, the Impulse may be on the right track if they'd put a better conventional trigger and safety in it.

Yep Savage got beat out by the Colt 1911 the rest is history. Definitely was for Savage, since the 1920's Savage has basically quit the pistol business until their new 'Stance'. The 99 was sure special, now its in the annals of firearm history since they've quit making it. Though the new Impulse sure got my attention and a few others it seems, if imitation is any judge of a good idea.

They need to lose the **** Accu-Trigger across the board, that thing is an abomination IMO. It also might help sales if they could figure out how to lap a barrel, tighten up a few specs, time the action, etc. Not to mention customer service. Just saying...

Edit to add: BTW mine is shooter!

Last edited:
I have seen this issue. The light trigger pull as been discussed. The other issue I have experience causing misfiring with the trigger may be the rear bedding screw being too tight. This will result in the stock inletting interfering with the trigger mechanism. To check this, try dry firing the rifle while out of the stock. The rest bedding screw should be set at no more then 25#. The forward screw at 40#.
I removed the stock to paint it, and I reset the bedding screws with a Wheeler torque screwdriver, so I feel confident those are to Savage specs. I'm pretty sure it's the trigger tension too light.

May be a dumb question but are you loading with standard 280 Remington ammo (not AI formed brass) ? I had the same problem using standard brass in an Ackley chamber. I had to load bullets into the rifling so the cartridge was tight in the chamber with no movement. That made all the difference. Then the cartridge would fire reliably when reloaded.
Nope, I ordered 100 cases on Nosler 280 AI brass, and loaded it to SAAMI specs. I even showed a few of the car that fired to a friend of mine who works in the ammo industry for decades. He confirmed the primer set is correct and the firing pin strike, when done, was a good strike. I'd bet it's the trigger tension.

I have had this problem on 3 rifles now and on all 3 the trigger was set too light. If you cock the rifle and slowly and gently close the bolt then it would fire fine. If you push the bolt forward too fast and hard it will fire but the gun will not go off because the small secondary accutrigger is not pressed. Then when you pull the trigger you hear a click but nothing happens.
That is exactly my issues. I'm waiting for the trigger tension gauge I ordered, but I'll bet a paycheck it's too light of a trigger tension. JK about the paycheck!

So I went back to Cabela's and got the rifle back before they shipped it back to Savage for the second time. The factory had it once and said there's nothing wrong, so I wasn't very hopeful they would say or do anything different.

I brought it home and I tried to cock the bolt, got zero trigger pull. Just like it was frozen. Of course, the accessory bag didn't include the trigger adjustment tool, but I was able to adjust it with pliers. I tightened the tension a little bit and the trigger worked about 30 times in a row! Success!

I'm waiting for my trigger spring gauge to come from UPS, and I'll then set the trigger to 2.5-3.0 Lbs. I got the rifle for a hunting gun for the grandkids, so I don't mind a little heavier tension. I'll put some blue loctite on it, and if it holds, good enough. If it doesn't, I'll put an aftermarket trigger In it. Most of my hunting rifles have Trigger Techs in them, so I'll look there first.

I really appreciate everyone's help and responses to this. I think you guys nailed the issue early in, a lot better than the firearms folks at Cabela's or the factory techs at Savage. They either didn't know the issue, which I find hard to believe, or they don't say there's a fault with the Accu trigger. I don't understand why the Savage factory guys didn't mention this and then sent it back to me with a trigger adjusted so light, it misfired 9 out of 10 times. Oh well…

I heard a story about the exact same thing from guys at our shooting range.Testing a new Savage Axis exact problem you are having,the trigger would release before you pulled the trigger.
Savage's customer service is not what it used to be

So I went back to Cabela's and got the rifle back before they shipped it back to Savage for the second time. The factory had it once and said there's nothing wrong, so I wasn't very hopeful they would say or do anything different.

I brought it home and I tried to cock the bolt, got zero trigger pull. Just like it was frozen. Of course, the accessory bag didn't include the trigger adjustment tool, but I was able to adjust it with pliers. I tightened the tension a little bit and the trigger worked about 30 times in a row! Success!

I'm waiting for my trigger spring gauge to come from UPS, and I'll then set the trigger to 2.5-3.0 Lbs. I got the rifle for a hunting gun for the grandkids, so I don't mind a little heavier tension. I'll put some blue loctite on it, and if it holds, good enough. If it doesn't, I'll put an aftermarket trigger In it. Most of my hunting rifles have Trigger Techs in them, so I'll look there first.

I really appreciate everyone's help and responses to this. I think you guys nailed the issue early in, a lot better than the firearms folks at Cabela's or the factory techs at Savage. They either didn't know the issue, which I find hard to believe, or they don't say there's a fault with the Accu trigger. I don't understand why the Savage factory guys didn't mention this and then sent it back to me with a trigger adjusted so light, it misfired 9 out of 10 times. Oh well…
The one thing you can always count on from the big chains is that actually knowing anything about the products you are hired to sell is not a requirement for the job and may be seen as a deterrent as it may cause you to steer customers away from a particular item the bosses want pushed at any given time.

When it comes to firearms, ammo, and especially glass I've found their sales people to be absolutely useless and ignorant pretty well across the board.

I heard a story about the exact same thing from guys at our shooting range.Testing a new Savage Axis exact problem you are having,the trigger would release before you pulled the trigger.
Savage's customer service is not what it used to be
Poor quality control and poorer customer service is what bankrupted them at least twice. It seems they are back to the norm rather than what they were offering for much of the last decade or so.

Sad to see but that's what you get when bean counters run a gun/ammunition/glass company.

The one thing you can always count on from the big chains is that actually knowing anything about the products you are hired to sell is not a requirement for the job and may be seen as a deterrent as it may cause you to steer customers away from a particular item the bosses want pushed at any given time.

When it comes to firearms, ammo, and especially glass I've found their sales people to be absolutely useless and ignorant pretty well across the board.
I agree but I was dealing with the firearms manager and the folks in the gun library, who are supposed to be their top folks. I certainly don't fault them for not knowing every detail of every brand they sell, but when I asked them to just put a trigger pull gauge on it to check if it was very low, they went corporate legal and said they aren't gunsmiths, and they couldn't measure the pull. Would have taken 30 seconds. Thanks boys, appreciate the lack of effort.